Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a belt squeal that I can attribute fairly well to a bad belt tensioner.

I will be replacing that as well as using a genuine Nissan belt as many people suggested previous posts .

What is the best brand for these tensioners besides the genuine Nissan part?...I'm not impressed with those as this is my 2nd in two years.
Rockauto has dayco, continental, gates, and ACDELCO.

Also, would people replace the idler pulley as well at the same time to have the 'system' all new?

thanks,
paul

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I don't have a serpentine belt on my 2 Frontiers, they are older, and have separate belts. I have Gates aftermarket AC and power steering idler pulleys (which are also its tensioners) on my '98, and seems to be fine a few years in. Of course I also have 212K on that truck.

You can replace your idler pulley if you like, but if it spins nice and smooth and quiet yours might still be fine.

I'll say that most professional mechanics would replace both because they don't want a come-back (and they don't care if your bill is higher).

These trucks seems to have belt squeals, even the 1st generation trucks that I've seen. Personally, I use Gates belts; Nissan doesn't make belts, one of the big guys just puts 'Nissan" on it.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
My truck has 75K hard miles on it. THe belt does not squeal at all. I would not think the belt squeal is normal. If it is freezing I do have bearing noise that goes away after 1 minute or so of warm up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts