Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my belts a few months ago with brand new gatorbacks and it has been squeeling lately. Whenever I start the engine it squeels for a few seconds or for a very long time, the longer it sits without being driven it just squeels even longer. I tried tightened them but they still squeel so I bought the spray that supposedly gives it more grip but it is still just as bad. I dont really know what else to do because they are new belts and are tightened. I've searched the website but can't find anything useful. Any help would be nice. Its a 2002 supercharged v6.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I replaced my belts a few months ago with brand new gatorbacks and it has been squeeling lately. Whenever I start the engine it squeels for a few seconds or for a very long time, the longer it sits without being driven it just squeels even longer. I tried tightened them but they still squeel so I bought the spray that supposedly gives it more grip but it is still just as bad. I dont really know what else to do because they are new belts and are tightened. I've searched the website but can't find anything useful. Any help would be nice. Its a 2002 supercharged v6.
they may seem tight but maybe they arent tight enough? give the nut a few more turns and see. maybe could be some tensioners too?

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
how many miles are on your truck , if they are new belts and you still have the squealing and your positive the belts are tight your pulleys may be wore down or glazed over

·
Registered
146 Posts

A mechanic told me once that belt dressing was a no no. Also nissan belts need to be REALLY tight for some reason. Also it may be a good idea to take the belt(s) off and wash them with soapy water as well as the pullys/tensioners to get any greese/belt dressing off them. Just my 2 cents!

Reactions: Sabretooth

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
i have seen on a couple other trucks, the gatorcracks are prone to squealing.
mine are doing it on my truck and it has about five miles. i should have kept the old belt.......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i'll try to clean and tighten them some more, it has just under 100k miles I had the timing belt changed just a while ago and that was when I changed the other belts. thanks for the help

·
Registered
214 Posts
for?

also does our truck have a traditional spring loaded tensioner ?
for the timing or the other belts?

the timing, yes.

the others, that i know of, no. 2004 s/c. loosen front pulley nut, then turn screw behind pulley to loosen tighten. on 2004 with s/c there are only 2 pulleys to be adjusted and one alternator adjustment.

try to isolate the squeal as too which pulley. sounds like worn pulley as mentioned in previous post. pulleys are cheap enough.

belt tensioners are cheap and can give you a relative idea on that spec. i bought one for work to do our belt driven fans. like 15 bucks or something.

new belts shouldnt squeak. if they still do after all that, i'd find a different manufacturer.
good luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
Belt tensioner

I agree with the guys that say to inspect your belt idler pulleys. I got a new one from Amazon. I've pasted the link below. The pulleys should look like the one in the picture.

Amazon.com: Goodyear 49005 Tensioner and Idler Pulley: Automotive

Mine had a significant channel cut along the belt path. That was was fine for the old belts since they had worn away at the edges of the groove. The new belts definitely made a lot of noise. These things will definitely wear out over time since the belts are so tight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well guys it's finally starting up clean, when I took off the big AC belt I discovered a bunch of other problems the main one being that when I had my timing belt changed the people changed the other belts also and put the AC one on wrong and it rubbed against the radiator hose which burned a hole clean through it and luckily I noticed it before it was too late. The next problem was that the tensioner bolt was literally bent so I had to buy a new one and of course the dealer makes you buy the whole pulley (which didnt hurt) except that it was 75 dollars. After taking off the skid plate because i kept dropping stuff I see that the smallest hidden belt was a little loose.
All this work and it was that stupid little belt on the bottom making the noise.

·
Registered
325 Posts
This does not seem to be a common issues, as per the old post Im resurrecting...
2015 4.0

Mine is making a noise, but I do not think it is a belt squeek noise. Sounds more like a dry bearing. I squeeks constantly now, only pauses when I let off the gas, and the pause is 1/4 of a second.
I am hoping not a water pump bearing noise.
Sound is on the passenger side it sounds like.
I see what a belt driven something with aluminum hoses. Not the AC comp bc I can see that on drivers side.
I can see tensioner also, but too tight in there to discern the sound.

Question is will the water pump make a noise if the bearing starts to go bad?

The sound was barely there when I bought it in Dec, 1,000 miles later it is louder and last longer.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Seeing that you're a late model 2nd Gen I'll give it a shot.

I just had to change the tensioner pulley on mine. It was Chirping and Squeeling. You can get the Idler and Tensioner pulley on RockAuto for around 20 -25 bucks for the pair. I just changed the Idler and Tensioner on a 2005 Explorer as well. It sounded like a belt but it was the pulleys. Take the Tensioner and Idler off and check them for play.They should be solid with zero wiggle in them. When you put your finger in the middle and spin it should not have any catches in it, feel rough, and not spin like a fidget spinner either. You should spin it hard and it should only turn a few times.

The Belt Driven Something with Aluminum Hoses is probably your Power Steering Pump.

Whats The Mileage on Your Truck?

The water pump will usually start leaking through the Weep Hole when it starts to go bad to let you know its time to change or overdue for a change.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks, I will check that. $25 not so bad for everything. I was going to just replace the bearings for $8. Rock Auto actually ships down the road from me, but I still have to mail order it.
It's an easy job? Some of these post make it sound like a nightmare, but maybe theirs is different.
It looks like just 3.8 socket to de-tension the belt/remove, then take the pulley wheels off, which should just be a bolt? reinstall.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I've been doing a lot of business with RockAuto lately fixing some cars. They ship super fast. I usually have my parts in 2 -3 days. The trick is trying to get everything coming from the same warehouse to save on shipping.

Just me, but i'd just get the pulleys, they're cheap. You'll see some on there for like 5 bucks. For the Explorer tho, i had to go with 10 dollar pulleys to get everything coming from the same warehouse.

I've never seen under the hood on a 2nd Gen. But with the 1st Gen, Theres a tensioner bolt by the power steering pump. You back that off, loosen the bolt that goes through the pulley, and you'll get slack. Then just unbolt your Idler Pulley.
OR
Loosen the bolt that goes though the Tensioner Pulley and then back the tensioner bolt off and you'll get slack.

EDIT:
Just Looked at Rock Auto: The 2 Cheapest ones come from the same Warehouse. Thats good for you bc they get expensive after that.
and Your Tensioner Setup is Different. You probably grab a ratchet and pull or push on the tensioner to get slack. You may need a buddy to pull the belt off while you're releasing the tension.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My issue with squeaking was the belt. New belt fixed it.

The pulley on the tensioner has one bearing, which I could not hammer out, maybe it needs a big press. Mine was fine, but I was going to replace it just to have it new.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
When I bought my used '00 XE w/ 33K back in '05, it was wheezy/squeaky w/ the engine running. It soon developed a nasty screech at startup. Took it to my mechanic expecting to have to change out more than a few things...turns out all it needed was a new belt. All problems solved and ran like new.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts