Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My truck is a 2001 Nissan Frontier 3.6L V-6, Supercharged, Desert Runner model. For several months now my truck has had a terrible squeal when it started. Assuming it was a belt I had one of the serpentine belts replaced, however this has not fixed my issue. The only major repair I have done to this is replacing the A/C condenser and the hoses for the A/C, however the belt noise did not begin until 4-6 months after that repair. Truck is currently at a shop trying to diagnose what the issue is but they seem as stumped as I am. They "tightened" the belts and that stopped it for one night, but then the next morning it squealed again. I've tried putting belt conditioner on all the belts, starting it without the A/C on, and the sound still persists. Any ideas? Any help at all is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
While I don't know the configuration of 3.3 belts, are there smooth accessory belts? If so try replacing them. Smooth/non-serpentine belts rely on the sides of the V-shape for 'traction'. If worn, then they'll slip and can contribute to squeal.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't know your engine specifically either, but if it has an idler pulley ,the bearing could be going out on it. My daughter's Focus had an idler pulley that started squealing on startup in the a.m. It would quiet down once it warmed up. I ended up replacing it and that solved the problem. Just something to take a look at.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yeah probably the idler pulley. Belt & idler squeal is a chronic issue on these trucks

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have the same squeal but mostly downhill startup (driveway vs garage). I also did some AC work, and there seems to be some rust on the compressor pulley, near where the leak was, not sure if it's the problem and it's not bad enough, to deal with YET! I think, it's the rusty compressor pulley on mine, next AC issue, I'll replace the compressor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I received my truck back from the shop a couple of days ago and apparently all my issue was, was the three belts were not all tightened correctly. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this besides the fact that it fixed my squeal and it's still silent, however apparently if one belt is slightly too tight it can throw another belt off, so it's a matter of getting them all tightened just right. I'm not sure if there's a guide somewhere that helps you determine how tight they need to be exactly, or if the shop guys just got lucky. Either way it was a cheap fix, so if anyone else is having this problem possibly try just fiddling with the belts and see if the sound goes away.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,623 Posts
Get yourself a Haynes manual. I got mine off of ebay for way below retail. It will come in handy.

Sent from my SM-N910S using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts