Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 CC LE 4X4 has 52k and needs a new serpentine belt and tensioner. Is this covered or has anybody had it replaced under the powertrain warranty? The service guy I visited today said it was not covered and would cost $220, but I've heard bad things about this dealership and don't trust them. Thank you guys.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Had mine replaced X2, under warranty each time.
WW

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 2005 CC LE 4X4 has 52k and needs a new serpentine belt and tensioner. Is this covered or has anybody had it replaced under the powertrain warranty? The service guy I visited today said it was not covered and would cost $220, but I've heard bad things about this dealership and don't trust them. Thank you guys.
Why do you need a new tensioner? Why can't you just replace the belt?

·
Registered
885 Posts
The spring in the tensioner wears out and fails to apply enough pressure on the belt, leaving it a little bit loose. No matter how many belts you put on, the squealing will be there.

I bought a tensioner from Nissan on saturday and a Banco belt and will install it myself. It's been squealing for almost 3 weeks at startup and has been driving me nuts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Why do you need a new tensioner? Why can't you just replace the belt?
Yeah, what eglaisi said. Besides, the service dept said I needed both. Had the belt only replaced a couple of years ago. This one has been squeakin' for a while but it's getting worse.

Had mine replaced X2, under warranty each time.
WW
Thanks WW. Were you outside of your 3yr/36k warranty either time you had yours replaced?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
its an "accessory" on the motor so it shouldnt be covered by the 60k warranty. last i heard it wasnt a spring issue it was a baring issue. unless they have changed there story again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just replaced only my belt. No noise since. Hopefully I got lucky at not needing a tensioner. $222.00 is about right for dealer work. I understand the drill of dealerships. They charge alot, waiting for the repair is time loss and some treat you as just another source for money. But look at this way, they know about Niassan and you get OEM parts. Usually you tell them what you want done and then pay the invoice. An no it is not covered under the pwr train warranty.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I can get the OEM parts for about $50 and I'll try it myself, doesn't look difficult. The problem with dealers is they treat you like replacing a PCV valve equals doing an engine swap. Less than $50 for parts and 15 minutes for a guy who has replaced the parts 200 times before does not equal $220. Especially after charging a benjamin for the 15 minutes it took to diagnose the problem. Just venting. I should consider myself lucky, after 4 years of ownership and 52k miles my Frontier has only needed a serpentine belt and a new battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts