Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a beefy rack and pinion available? My R&P with 320,000 km has decided to start stock piling PS fluid in the boots.

The truck is Titan swapped, with 35's, so it makes sense it got tired. If the only thing that changes the part numbers between the R&P of the Frontier and the Titan is the inner tie rods, then I might as well order the Titan one.

From using the search bar, nothing earlier than 2013 has shown up, but like most of the other mods on the truck, it seems people are finding new ways to fix things with a beefier option so I thought I would start a new thread.

PFA

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Don't assume the Titan part is "beefier". It's more likely a fitment difference.
The rack/pinion assembly is just a cheap hydraulic ram, and as far as hydraulic rams go, steering systems don't demand a lot of force. Not that long ago, power steering was an option, and many cars and trucks had no power assist at all. My 1986 Nissan King Cab had manual steering.
At 200,000 miles it's not unusual for your power steering unit to develop leaks, especially if you didn't occasionally change the hydraulic fluid.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't assume the Titan part is "beefier". It's more likely a fitment difference.
The rack/pinion assembly is just a cheap hydraulic ram, and as far as hydraulic rams go, steering systems don't demand a lot of force. Not that long ago, power steering was an option, and many cars and trucks had no power assist at all. My 1986 Nissan King Cab had manual steering.
At 200,000 miles it's not unusual for your power steering unit to develop leaks, especially if you didn't occasionally change the hydraulic fluid.
I did not mean to imply that i was assuming the Titan was beefier. I meant that of they were the same, I will order the Titan one because it would come with the inner tie rods that I require for my truck.

The post was to determine if a beefier option was found yet. Maybe one company makes a tougher one than another company.

As for comparison, I have found a few people mention they have removed theirs and put it next to a Titan rack and they have been a perfect match except for the tie rods.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Since the racks come with inner tie rods already attached, that's a fair chance why there is a different part # for each. Probably the same rack internally.

With that said, if the OEM lasted you 320,000km's I'd be inclined to replace it with another OEM if you are concerned about quality/strength.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You can't just replace the seals for 20 bucks. That is if atf in your boots is the Only problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts