Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some pointers/insight on getting a tent for the bed of my truck. I have a 2016 crew cab short bed. It has the "rear spoiler" (if that makes a difference). My wife and I want to start doing some exploring with our 2 year old. Anyone out there had any good/bad experiences?

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
^I kind of agree with this. For the cost of bed tent you can get a pretty nice regular tent that will probably be easier to setup. You also have to completely unload the truck to set it up. On the flip side, a bed tent gets you off the ground which is nice.

What kind of exploring did you have in mind? a bed tent will feel quite small with your wife and a 2 year old.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I dont recall ever seeing a bed tent for a short box frontier , tacoma , or colorado.
The web link for the one above is for a King Cab or Crew Cab with Long Bed.
Cut and pasted from the web page:
Dome shape with external rain-fly
Easy installation, compact storage
**King Cab / Crew Cab with Long Bed**

Crew cab short bed is going to be a challenge ....

Maybe a nice ground tent?

A roof top tent:
Kukenam SKY Woods Camo | Tepui Tents | High Quality Roof Top Tents

You could purchase a camper shell / topper and add a DAC tent to it:
DAC Inc., Camper Top Tents for camping with trucks, sport utility vehicles, SUVs!

Or you if you win the lottery you could get a Four Wheel pop up camper:
SWIFT POP-UP (SHORTER 5.0' BED) - Four Wheel Campers | Low Profile, Light Weight, Pop-up Truck Campers

Edit...and one more "If you win the lottery"
The Habitat....formerly know as Flippac
Habitat just released this flip tent type camper for the Toyota Tacoma and there are rumors they might make one for the Nissan Frontier:
http://adventuretrailers.com/campers/toyota-habitat/

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Edit...and one more "If you win the lottery"
The Habitat....formerly know as Flippac
Habitat just released this flip tent type camper for the Toyota Tacoma and there are rumors they might make one for the Nissan Frontier:
http://adventuretrailers.com/campers/toyota-habitat/
I see that Taco pictured near daily on my commute to work. While a cool concept, the execution in person looks very prototype. Very neat design none the less, but at a near $9k base price I would have expected a bit better fit and finish.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
I do have to ask, as I have been looking at pull behind campers. How waterproof is it when its fully popped up? Does rain seem to get inside?
Funny you should ask... Ours is a 2005 and we took it out on its maiden voyage to the Grand Canyon. One has to schedule campsites way in advance which we did and of course it rained the whole time we were there! And yes it is quite watertight. Only caveat is after we got home and sun came out we opened the unit up and let it dry out completely! I hate pulling trailers but the popups are very easy to tow especially for a Frontier.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Funny you should ask... Ours is a 2005 and we took it out on its maiden voyage to the Grand Canyon. One has to schedule campsites way in advance which we did and of course it rained the whole time we were there! And yes it is quite watertight. Only caveat is after we got home and sun came out we opened the unit up and let it dry out completely! I hate pulling trailers but the popups are very easy to tow especially for a Frontier.
Awesome! That is great to hear and of course, having to let it dry out is acceptable.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Are you both shorter than 5 feet. If not you'll never get a minutes sleep trying to fit two people in there.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you use a tent attached to your truck, what are you going to do with it when you want to drive somewhere? A truck tent sounds like a good idea but I'm afraid it has difficulties. We drive to town for supplies, to the lodge for meals, to trails and interesting sites. We would have to take down the tent each time.

My take for inexpensive camping without a trailer is a good sized dome tent. One high enough for changing clothes. Bring a 10x10 pop-up with a screen to have a nice shady bug free space during the time outside the tent.

Tt

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Are you both shorter than 5 feet. If not you'll never get a minutes sleep trying to fit two people in there.
Does anyone make a version that extends into the area behind the truck where the tailgate folds down?

That would give you a couple more feet.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
If you use a tent attached to your truck, what are you going to do with it when you want to drive somewhere? A truck tent sounds like a good idea but I'm afraid it has difficulties. We drive to town for supplies, to the lodge for meals, to trails and interesting sites. We would have to take down the tent each time.

My take for inexpensive camping without a trailer is a good sized dome tent. One high enough for changing clothes. Bring a 10x10 pop-up with a screen to have a nice shady bug free space during the time outside the tent.
The Jumping Jack pop-up tent trailers have a lot of advantages - almost instant erection or take-down, elevated living and sleeping areas, can be left at the campsite while running errands in the tow vehicle, can haul a lot of cargo along with the tent, or can be used without the tent as a utility trailer...

Reactions: RobFrisco415

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,833 Posts
Holy Zombie Thread Batman!

Can this site be configured to warn if a thread is over 90 days old and someone is trying to post a new comment?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Those Jumping Jack trailers are pretty cool. They fill the niche for hunters, but the cost is a decent investment.
Every hunting season some kind of tow and go trailer sounds better and better. Especially when it take a touch over two hours to setup and take down my 12x18 tent and camp kitchen by myself.
LOL

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Most pop-up campers also take a while to set up or take down.

If you're only staying for one night before moving on, that gets old real quick.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts