Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had issues with their bed sides splitting open when loading up the bedsides? Heavy racks and such causing a gap to open up near the tailgate? I know the Tacoma's have that problem.

I have searched and found this thread where the Original Poster installed some Rago Fab stiffeners, post #24. https://www.clubfrontier.org/threads/2018-nissan-frontier-pro-4x-overland-build.355233/page-2

I'd like to hear some stories or see some pics if this is an issue. I may have a solution to prevent that from happening that far exceeds what any other manufacturer offers. Here's my new Bed Stiffening solution I just released.

I hope this is in the right area!

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
How does it attach to bed and sides?
I was able to use bolts to attach bracket to
Bedsides by using a doubler behind them.
PITA getting the doubler in position!
Bed will be no problem with a doubler you bolt to.
I also plated with 3/16 steel where brackets bolted to..
Make doublets to go with your kit.
99944A84-BCB0-46F7-B0D8-8F557F1E82C7.jpeg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the Tacoma application you see here a use large extra thick washers on the back side of the steel. Doesn't seem to haven't need for a strip behind. But the frontier could require a little more beef. I'm just curious if there is an issue out there you guys know about that I could solve.

3/16 is a suitable material. For the above application I have made it quarter inch.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
The washers act like a doubler.
Have never heard of the problem you are referring to.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
There are a few things I tboughy of.
A way to mount limit straps to prevent coil bucket contact.
People are always asking for brackets to mount roof light bars. Same with bumper mounting.
A good way to mount high lift jack.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I don't think you need these in a Frontier. Nissan still has a metal bed. Whereas the Taco has a plastic bed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't think you need these in a Frontier. Nissan still has a metal bed. Whereas the Taco has a plastic bed.
That looks like shade thrown at the Tacos! Lmao! J/K

Tim I think the Frontiers would benefit from a beefed up/reinforced tailgate hinge if anything, along with Whistlers suggestions. Just $.02.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Anything that will split the bed is grossly overloading the vehicle.
You need a bigger truck.
As already mentioned, the Tacoma bed is plastic, so it can flex more. The Frontier, being an all metal bed does not have this issue.
Correct on both..............(y) .............. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I do remember The Grand Tour doing a thing with pickups and one was the Mercedes truck that is just a rebranded Frontier. They had that happen just from offroading with nothing in the bed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I do remember The Grand Tour doing a thing with pickups and one was the Mercedes truck that is just a rebranded Frontier. They had that happen just from offroading with nothing in the bed.
They are similar but the X-Class uses 5 link suspension as opposed to leaf springs so it flexes more, and it has over 400 ft lbs of torque in the top engine option potentially causing more flexing and bending. Like previously mentioned, the Tacoma is a composite bed and has c channel framing as opposed to a fully boxed frame to allow more flex, and that's where it's side wall splitting comes into play (since they claim the composite is stronger than steel).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are a few things I tboughy of.
A way to mount limit straps to prevent coil bucket contact.
People are always asking for brackets to mount roof light bars. Same with bumper mounting.
A good way to mount high lift jack.
Good suggestions! Any links or pictures to better show these things?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe not then. lol. Is there a thread on here where a list of wanted new goodies is? It would be cool to see a compiled list and then a vote on what should be tackled first is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts