Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the extra rope tie down for the bed, but i was not able to get the screws to go all the way in.

I was told you have to tap the holes, I read on her the tap size is 6mm x 1.00

my problem is i dont know where to buy a tap, or how to do this, the dealer wanted $25 bucks to do it i thought that was crazy, so i wanted to ask for help her first.

anyone know where i can buy this tap thingy? how much it cost? and directions on how to retap the hole?

·
Registered
271 Posts
tap and die sets are wicked expensive.

Use a 12mm socket with a long handle ratchet. That should give you enough torque to screw the bolt in easily. As you get to the end, ease up on the ratchet or switch to a short handle one. Hand tight is good enough.

I have four of these hooks and got three of them on with no problem. The first one was a matter of trial and error.

BTW -- I use these hooks more than the utilitrack cleats ...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
damn and i dont want to pay for the tap set either, I actually remember you posted this before, and i tried it this way with the long and short rachet, and once it got about half way in, it just started spining in a circle on both sides of the hook. I want to do this myself but i dont know if i've already messup up the whole or if it has to be retapped. dam* i*

i found this tap set at harbor freight, I think it has the right size tap, but i dont know how to use it anyway
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39384

I know i might sound retarded, to most but i'm not that tool savey.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Oh, yeah. That spinning bolt thing happened to me too on my first try. I got out the power tools then and drove that sucker home -- but broke the head off the bolt!

:damn:

I had to order a new bolt and drill that old thing out. Second try (without the power tools) was successful.

Did you try pushing in against the ratchet to push the bolt in as you turn? Some of that sprayed on bedliner junk is clogging up the hole; you just need to get the threads to bite.

I doubt you stripped the hole; I was concerned about that too, but the new bolt I put in tightened up with no problem.

(BTW -- love the pics of your white truck.)

·
Super Moderator
20,003 Posts
You should be able to buy an individual tap from a parts place like NAPA or Carquest. Take one of the bolts with you to match it up. It's best to chase the holes out before trying to install the bolts. I actually bent one of my bolts trying to install it without chasing the threads first.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Zero Six LE said:
You should be able to buy an individual tap from a parts place like NAPA or Carquest. Take one of the bolts with you to match it up. It's best to chase the holes out before trying to install the bolts. I actually bent one of my bolts trying to install it without chasing the threads first.

what does chasing the threads mean? and once i buy the tap, how do i use it?

I just went to the dealer closes to my house for shits and kicks, they wanted $45 lol there crazy

thanks for the compliment dpal i need to update the pics i have the bakflip & tint now.

·
Super Moderator
20,003 Posts
roc_my_tims said:
what does chasing the threads mean?

I just went to the dealer closes to my house for shits and kicks, they wanted $45 lol there crazy

thanks for the compliment dpal i need to update the pics i have the bakflip & tint now.
Chasing the threads is just cleaning them out with a tap versus cutting threads in a drilled hole. You are removing the paint and or bedliner material with the tap.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Friendly with your local auto garage? Got any auto mechanic friends/neighbors?

If you can't buy a single tap at a local shop, ask around. Someone will hook you up.

$45?:thatswck:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i thnk i'm just gonna go to harbor frieght and but that tap set for $7.99 i posted above and bring it home and figure something out. lol i'm pissed i'm gonna get done today.

Naw i'm new in this city, havent let anyone out here touch m vehicles yet, and my old garage is a mission away.

o.k. so after a trip to the hardware store and 2 hours, I have 1 screw in and the rest will not go in, I'm only trying to put in the rear hooks, 4 stcky screws and i can only get on in, as far as i can see the tap crap did nothing. i'm throughly pissed now.

·
Super Moderator
20,003 Posts
roc_my_tims said:
i thnk i'm just gonna go to harbor frieght and but that tap set for $7.99 i posted above and bring it home and figure something out. lol i'm pissed i'm gonna get done today.

Naw i'm new in this city, havent let anyone out here touch m vehicles yet, and my old garage is a mission away.

o.k. so after a trip to the hardware store and 2 hours, I have 1 screw in and the rest will not go in, I'm only trying to put in the rear hooks, 4 stcky screws and i can only get on in, as far as i can see the tap crap did nothing. i'm throughly pissed now.
Is the tap the proper size? It will have some resistance when you turn it into the holes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having this exact problem right now. Effing ridiculous that stock Nissan bolts won't go into the thread holes they are designed for. Only one bolt out of 4 went in without trouble. Thought I was being a klutz until I found this thread topic.

I did do the tie-down cleat mod using the "Super Trac" parts from Home Depot as suggested in another thread. Excellent $ saver idea!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm having this exact problem right now. Effing ridiculous that stock Nissan bolts won't go into the thread holes they are designed for. Only one bolt out of 4 went in without trouble. Thought I was being a klutz until I found this thread topic.

I did do the tie-down cleat mod using the "Super Trac" parts from Home Depot as suggested in another thread. Excellent $ saver idea!
Do you have the spray in bedliner? If so, that’s the problem — some of the bedliner gets in the threads. I had the same problem and the second stock bolt I put in sheared off halfway because I didn’t use a tap to clean out th threads beforehand. It was a ***** to drill out. I then went back and cleared all the threads and put better quality bolts in.

·
Registered
2012 CC SL LWB (Black) 3rd Owner
12 Posts
I added these tie downs also, I read here about the bed liner being in the threads, I just took one of the bolts and WD-40 and run the bolt in slowly to clean out the threads, then once clean I went on a head and bolted the bracket on, worked for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts