Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Bed rail capacity

8K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  the.dark.frontier 
#1 ·
Anyone know the carrying capacity of the bed rails for the '22?

Considering a DiamondBack HD cover to carry my 4-wheeler. But the cover is not light (around 120 lbs AFAICT) and the 4-wheeler is close to 800.

Thanks!

#2 ·
So you wanna put 920# give or take on TOP of your bed? That seems a little sketchy to me. Even if the rails can handle the weight, your center of gravity would be ridiculously high.

#4 ·
No, I’m sorry, I don’t. If it’s rated to carry weight on top of the bed sides at all, there’s no way it’ll be rated high enough to do that. It’d be too much of a liability if they said it could handle that amount of weight & then someone rolled the truck because of it.

#5 ·
For something like that, check with U-Haul and see if they have a large enough trailer to rent. For only a half dozen times a year and it's a heck of a lot safer (and not too expensive). I can't say I've ever seen a truck manufacturer publish that type of information. As JVRaley eluded, the higher you go the lesser it will be because of the CG.

#6 ·
They do. I rented one once since buying the Frontier to take the 4-wheeler locally. It was very reasonable for a short trip like that.

But I was under the impression from their website that you can only rent those small, open trailers for the day. Most of those times I'm going to Colorado for week long trips. BUt I'll reach out to a local U-Hal and just ask them personally - never hurts to ask.

That would absolutely be the ideal for the short term.

#9 ·
They rent for as long as you need. I have a sportsman as well and this is what I do. They will also rent you an enclosed for a few bucks more. I’ve done this for multi-day trips where I want the extra security at night. It would take me 4 years to spend as much as I would on a trailer and I don’t have anywhere to store it (thanks HOA)

#12 ·
The Diamond Back HD and your truck will also. I have one, also had stock leaf's, 5100's and this load was around 800-1000 lbs. I have loaded up heavier, but not a fan on stock leaf's. However, you will crush the weather stripping over time, and you will need to check the clamps holding down the cover. You most likely dont have them tight enough without a load on it. Would really suck to have the whole thing slide off in a turn. Once tight enough, your doors will be harder to close... Its a balance.

Motor vehicle Wood Gas Building material Automotive exterior

Reactions: GreyFox
#15 ·
Yeah, but that gets rough. Still should try to adhear to the spec payload weight. Obviously I don't know what mine is as I have had way too much too many times...😂. Absolutely love the cover though. Light weight, super strong.

#16 ·
OP,
You could get a fold-able trailer from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool if you have storage issues.

Wheel Tire Tread Automotive tire Rolling

#17 ·
@Bar None - I've seen that one. I was nervous taking that on the 800+ mile trips I take between Texas and Colorado as well as some of the rutted, washed-out roads I have to take. I've seen a wide range of reviews. Not to mention the total width of the 4-wheeler is 55", so would be hanging off pretty far off the sides. Do you have this?

@davedibbs Just ordered the Diamondback!

#20 ·
Not sure if this helps any but i was doing some research on the nismo bed rack and noticed that the static capacity is 1200 lbs while dynamic is 750. Obviously doesn't say anything about the bed rail capacity them selves but if the utilitrack can handle a 750-1200lb load...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.