Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got around to a simple wiring job to practice on (the oem foglite kit doesnt count IMO as its plug n play)....I saw this outlet on some other posts here (Wal-Mart) & it seemed like one of the better ones I could get my hands on.
I wired this always 'hot', like the lower dash outlet. The bracket was made from 1/8" x2" Aluminum stock (Lowes) & I used the existing holes/bolts from the utilitrack to mount it to the bed. I prolly (ok, did :)) overthink the location, as I wanted it safe from cargo, conveniently located, and yet I didn't see myself drilling a giant hole the size of the outlet to flush mount it (just a small hole for the wires to pass thru)-also, w/ the mounting holes this thing has, flush mount seemed impossible w/o hacking the outlet apart. Also, making sure the utilitrack accessories could slide past it was a must.
The other outlets use a 15a fuse, so popped one of those in a mini-fuse holder (Schucks auto). Biggest PITA was running the hot wire to the battery...went to the beach last w/e and didn't wash undercarriage yet. I still have grit in my hair! BE CAREFUL when drilling the holes for the wires to pass thru...the drill bit can 'grab' once you punch thru & ding the painted metal from the inside, causing damage to your paint
Total install time about 2 hours
JDub

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Great write up and great idea. I am wondering exactly where the mount is located. Is it near the tailgate or up in the front of the bed? Also, what size wire did you run? If it is near the tailgate, that is a long run from the battery. I am thinking 12 gauge wire at the least with the fuse depending on what load you may using from that plug. Some devices draw a lot of juice and overheating of the wiring may be an issue even with the fuse. Let us know how it works out. Mike:goodjob:

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
looks like its the back of the bed. the square section next to it looks like the space the tail light mounts into.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back of the bed.

Great write up and great idea. I am wondering exactly where the mount is located. Is it near the tailgate or up in the front of the bed? Also, what size wire did you run? If it is near the tailgate, that is a long run from the battery. I am thinking 12 gauge wire at the least with the fuse depending on what load you may using from that plug. Some devices draw a lot of juice and overheating of the wiring may be an issue even with the fuse. Let us know how it works out. Mike:goodjob:
Yep, its in the back driver side corner of the bed. I only used 16 ga. wire from the fuse to the outlet...hopefully that will suffice? The outlet itself only has 16 ga. wire, so I matched that. The in-line fuse uses 12 ga tho.
I'll keep an eye on it--thanks for pointing that out.
Jdub

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
for a run that long(battery to rear of bed) i would have gone up a couple of sizes. probably a min of 12awg.

·
Registered
854 Posts
you probably should have bumped it up to a larger wire for the distance to CYA, but you probably wont have any problems. maybe some more electrical savvy people will chime in here.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
great idea.

and 16 awg wire is good for up to 15 amps so you should be good. but i wouldent try and power somthing that draws over 10 amps for very long. might heat the wire up a bit

·
Registered
357 Posts
cool idea, i have to do this now since twice a week i have to put my 12v cooler in the front seat to keep my food cold on the way to work (i carry alot of food for the week i'm away from home), and have no room in the back area of the cab due to stereo junk. nice! i like it!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:)

Thanks for the replies & info about wire size!!
...Prolly not much more than the occasional spotlight or small air pump running off this--unless my long term goal of making this a true expedition vehicle comes to fruition (and that requires hitting powerball & quitting work) :laugh:

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Thanks for the replies & info about wire size!!
...Prolly not much more than the occasional spotlight or small air pump running off this--unless my long term goal of making this a true expedition vehicle comes to fruition (and that requires hitting powerball & quitting work) :laugh:
those small air pumps can pull up to 30amps. that will fry that small wire in no time. spot light should be GTG but a mini fridge or air compressor is gonna be a no go without larger wire.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
whoa

those small air pumps can pull up to 30amps. that will fry that small wire in no time. spot light should be GTG but a mini fridge or air compressor is gonna be a no go without larger wire.
hmm...so I'll make sure to keep a close eye on the one I buy...what do folks do that buy those & use the stock outlets? Both of them were fused at 15 amps from factory...
Should I just re-run 12 gauge & fuse higher than 15 to be prepared for heavy use? Would 30 amp be safe w/ 12 gauge?
Thanks for all the help (I went to library the other day & checked out 2 automotive electrical books...that has never been my strong suit.)

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
some of the cheap AP's dont draw that much but they also take FOREVER to fill a tire. if your looking to fill in under say 4 min your gonna be pulling 25-30 amps. as far as the fuse, you actually fuse the size of the wire not what its running. im sure a google search will show you the amperage rating of each size wire. i cant remember them right off the top of my head.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
re-wire this w/e

some of the cheap AP's dont draw that much but they also take FOREVER to fill a tire. if your looking to fill in under say 4 min your gonna be pulling 25-30 amps. as far as the fuse, you actually fuse the size of the wire not what its running. im sure a google search will show you the amperage rating of each size wire. i cant remember them right off the top of my head.
Good suggestion Mylt;
I found a great website: American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits

there is a chart w/ amp capacities & more...as well as a calculator for voltage loss. Really cool info. That little 16ga wire loses 20% of the voltage in just 20 feet @ 15amps!!! :crikey:
That means only about 9.5 volts at the outlet!
Looks like 12 ga. re-wire coming sooner than I planned.
anything bigger doesn't really make much diff using the calculator.
Thanks again!
Jdub.
PS, I am blasting the underbody of the truck b4 crawling under it this time for sure.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Awg. Amps
16. 15
14. 25
12. 40
10. 60
8. 100
4. 150
2. 225

I hope that looks right iam on my blackberry right now. I'd do at least 12 awg with a 40 amp fuse.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What wire TYPE?

So went to the Ace last night, and just figured I'd pick up the same kind of wire as before, just 12ga. The kind I used is the very flexible, almost rubbery insulation. They have another kind of wire where the insulation is marked "Gasoline & Oil resistant" however that stuff is MUCH stiffer, both the insulation & the strands of copper. This kind is also cheaper.
Is one more appropriate for this type of app over the other?
Thanks again guys (and gals?)
Jdub.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
most auto related is gonna be fine. i usually buy in bulk off the interweb. but when i need some quick i just hit up my local parts store. as long as its not solid core it should be fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What is the grand total and time it took of this mod? That would be something worth adding in the OP.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts