Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really wanting to get rid of my plastic drop in liner but I don't want to leave the bed completely unprotected. I don't do a lot of hauling aside from a weekly trip to the landfill and maybe an occasional load of supplies from Home Depot for a weekend project. I'm working on a limited budget and looking toward the DIY roll/spray on liners. Has anyone here used a DIY liner that they would recomend? Any info you have is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
hurculiner or duplacolor spray in. the key is in the prep though. if you dont prep the surface correctly nothing is going to stick/last long. i like the duplacolor better just because you can buy it in 16oz spray cans and its easier to control the coverage/texture and there is less mess to clean up than with the roll in kits.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a local company here in Hawaii do a professional spray on bedliner on my new 2010 Frontier. My friend has had it on his truck for several years and it still looks in great shape. Total cost was $450.00

·
Registered
87 Posts
hurculiner or duplacolor spray in. the key is in the prep though. if you dont prep the surface correctly nothing is going to stick/last long. i like the duplacolor better just because you can buy it in 16oz spray cans and its easier to control the coverage/texture and there is less mess to clean up than with the roll in kits.
I would agree. Just be careful not to get it near your "hootus"

See the following thread: How Do I Get Herculiner Off of My Hootus?! - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a local company here in Hawaii do a professional spray on bedliner on my new 2010 Frontier. My friend has had it on his truck for several years and it still looks in great shape. Total cost was $450.00
Yeah that would be nice but i' trying to keep it around $100. I have a new mortgage and I'm running low on $ to spend on the truck.

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
Yeah that would be nice but i' trying to keep it around $100. I have a new mortgage and I'm running low on $ to spend on the truck.
I can appreciate the new mortgage and money thing.
With all the time and prep involved and you still won't end up with as nice a liner and a chance for adhesion issues.
I'd say wait a while (you already have a liner) and have it done professionally and you'll be happier with the finished product.
As the saying goes "it cost less to do it right the first time".

Clint

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can appreciate the new mortgage and money thing.
With all the time and prep involved and you still won't end up with as nice a liner and a chance for adhesion issues.
I'd say wait a while (you already have a liner) and have it done professionally and you'll be happier with the finished product.
As the saying goes "it cost less to do it right the first time".

Clint
You might be right, maybe I'll just work on a few smaller things that i would like to do and get a line-x next year at tax time.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
How about a rubber bed mat for about $75? I have factory liner and bought a bed mat too.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
How about a rubber bed mat for about $75? I have factory liner and bought a bed mat too.
bed mats suck just as bad as drop in liners. crap gets under them and over time the mat moves and grinds whatever is under them into the pant creating places where rust can start.

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
I have the rubber mat over my Nissan spray in liner to keep things from sliding around. This is my third spray in and all got rubber mats on top. When I traded my Titan after three years the mat left zero signs that it had been there except for it was cleaner than the side walls.
Agree with above it the mat is over the paint alone it may chafe the paint off.

Clint

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
if you did a self spray in or roll on then a rubber mat on top that would be a pretty nice combo, the mat shouldn't rub its way through the liner and since its a cheaper job the mat could also give the liner some protection from chipping or whatever on the bottom where it would get the most abuse. then you would have a cheep solution that would i hope last a long time with a mat for some protection and to keep things from sliding around.

question to those that have done the spray in roll on themselves did you pull the plastic bed caps off and do your bed caps too like the pro jobs do?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I did the do it yourself roll and spray on liner in my old Toyota then covered it with a rubber bed mat and the bed mat worked great for protecting it and not letting stuff slide around. The only down side is the rubber mat has additives in it to make it UV and weather resistant like car tires. So when I put some things in the bed like luggage, rubbermaid bins, wood or other things that I didn't think would be a problem till I took them out and found black rubber scuff marks or brownish stains on the bottom where they had been sitting on the mat.
I'd say just save your money or sell your stock liner for as much as you can and just wait to get a pro liner sprayed in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the rubber mat over my Nissan spray in liner to keep things from sliding around. This is my third spray in and all got rubber mats on top. When I traded my Titan after three years the mat left zero signs that it had been there except for it was cleaner than the side walls.
Agree with above it the mat is over the paint alone it may chafe the paint off.

Clint
I agree with the rubber mat over the spray in liner for extra protection.

Years ago I bought a new Dakota short bed ext. cab and purchased a long bed rubber mat for it. I left the extra foot or so on it and it rolled up the front of the bed and it added protection when sliding stuff up all the way in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts