Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Bed Lights

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  slingshotz 
#1 ·
We go camping a lot with the Nissan tent and seem to open and close the doors to pack or get stuff from the interior. Now every time a door gets opened the bed light comes on by design which is normally a good thing. A lot of the times the door gets left open and as a result the bed light stays on. The switch to control the bed light only seems to have two settings automatic and always on. I can switch it manually to always on and back to automatic which turns off the bed light but it's a pain to do it every time. I've once drained the battery pretty low by leaving the bed light on by accident all day :(

Is there anyway to modify the switch or wiring so that there is an always off option? Or is there some way to do it already that I'm not aware of?

#2 · (Edited)
Hmmm, you could put a "kill switch" up under the dash.
Find the ground or power wire coming off the back of the OEM switch.
Cut one or the other and place a switch inline and either mount it facing down towards the floorboard or however you want it.
If that switch is turned to off, open loop, no power to main switch and just the opposite when the new switch is turned on.

That would probably be the simplest way.
A little switch like that would be cheap too.

#3 ·
I Know There Was Someone Here That Put A Switch To Trun Off The Bed Light When The Door Is Open...

#4 ·
If I leave any of my lights on my 05' sec gen for too long with no activity in or out of the truck then they will turn off to save the battery. I know cuz I left them on while camping and they all of a sudden shut off. just a little FYI. as for manually cutting that bed light off, I know there is a pressure switch on the door hing that I clamp down when I leave me drivers door open, otherwise the beeping annoys me, but it also shuts off that light.

#6 ·
Yep you could check the fuse situation too.
Often though the fuses are shared, meaning you may kill power to another accessory.

The more I thought about my first post if you do it that way, try jumpers first, don't go hacking your factory wires.
By opening up the loop (taking the OEM switch out of play) it may signal an always on scenario rather than succeed in what you are trying to accomplish.

Like I said, use jumper wires to try it, don't just chop up your factory wiring.

EDIT: here is how another CF member handled the bed light: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/cargo-light-switch-how-18482/

#7 ·
If your wanting a permenantly installed "kill switch" go to radio shack, switches come in all shapes and sizes, find the one you think will fit into the headliner next to the light cleanly, use and exacto knife and cut carefully, take out the light crimp and splice the wires as necessary(I recommend just a simple interruptor on the pos wire) and glue the switch in place.

#8 · (Edited)
Easy and straight forward...
Pop out the two round access plugs in the headliner(opposite side of 3rd. brake assy.) remove the two 8mm nuts pull the whole thing out; splice in a generic on/off switch. mount the switch through one of the plug/covers.. re-install and pop the switch/plug back into headliner. done!

off-axis cellphone pic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.