Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've got a Q. My father in law just bought a used 2012 f150. I know it's not one of our trucks but I'm hoping y'all can help me figure out something. While we were taking the shell off the bed we noticed that the previous owner had installed some led lights under the bed rails. There is a switch connected to the wiring and this all connected to some leds in the topper. Problem is we can't seem to get any to turn on. The switch does nothing and the button on the led on the topper wouldn't work either with the switch in either position. Any ideas on how to get them to work?

·
Registered
577 Posts
DIY installations are controlled hacks. :) You really don't know what the
installer may have done. Maybe it never worked. So you basically need
to work backwards (like you've done already). Absent any easy solutions,
you can just 'reinstall' it and wire it to power so that you modify/create
the known factors so that it makes sense...as if you installed it in the first
place. Volt meter and continuity tester should be all you need with this.

·
Registered
219 Posts
First thing I would do would be to test the lights themselves to make sure they work at all. Then after making sure they work, I'd use a continuity tester at various points of the install to see where the breakdown is. Maybe a bad switch, maybe a bad relay, bad fuse, bad splice job on the wiring. It can be anything. Like raymond~ said, maybe it never worked at all.

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, just scrap the wiring and redo it yourself. Probably what I would do. Take a look at my build, you'll see the lights I've installed, and I did the custom wiring myself. One of the installs drove me nuts until I realized there was one simple little connector I had forgotten to plug in. Wasted about 10 minutes before stepping back and checking one part at a time methodically. After a minute, I came across the culprit, and after 5 seconds to fix it, the whole thing worked fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts