Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about creating cheap do it yourself bed cover that will last and survive in bad weather while keeping cargo dry. My idea is buy one piece of either hardy plank or ply wood (short bed on fronty). Treat with sealant. If have to use two because cant find one big enough reinforce with 2X2 or 2X4. Attache some wheather striping to inside in order to seal against top of bed and tail gate. Drill four holes (two in front and two on sides toward rear of bed) making sure to aligne tie down clamps in bed rail under holes. Use a long bolt with some kind of rubber washer to seal against wood and use a nut to attach to tie down or bed rail clamp. Then probably spray paint either black or grey to match paints. Only going to use on road trips. Packing the wife and kid and a weeks load of luggage on the inside gets quite cramped. Let me know if there are any threads talking about this probalby will cost 20to 30 bucks depending on the type of material used. Any other ideas or any other methods all advice appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To expensive looking for cheap remedy. I dont really like the idea of having a bed cover a knife could easily open.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i think that sounds like a good plan I would buy 2 sheets and lay them so that 4' wide then cut excess then do the same with the second sheet then hinge them where they meet then bolt like you described at cab and buy a key barrell lock and figure out a way to lock it at tail gate end then just use key to open the back half. I hope you can understand what i am trying to say. if you do this take pictures and post them

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
There is a thread on here where someone had a similar idea and linked over to an explorer website where they did a nice DIY.

I think the best thing to do is to use 2 sheets of ply and hinge them in the center with either a piano hinge or something similar but make sure you use some kind of vinyl strip over the gap to ensure it is weather proof.

The tie-dows are a perfect idea but if you are using a thru bolt set-up, make sure you use a bolt with a rounded head so that it can't be un-done from the outside.

I would also make sure that you use some supports, either 2x4s or angle iron or something. Then lastly, make sure you use something to ensure the cover doesn't slide around. Possibly ensure that the 2x4s span the entire width of the bed and are located both front and rear.

Lastly, don't forget a quality paint. Probably something for a marine application since they seem to do the best in an outdoor application.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My buddies did this way back in the day when the mini truck on 15 inch wires ruled the road. What they did was take plywood and reinforced it with 2x4's and build a frame just smaller than the bed rails so the wood did not slide around. Then some marine vinyl from the fabric store to cover up the screw holes and make it look nice. They never bolted them down though. 3/4 inch plywood reinforced with 2x4's is pretty heavy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.