Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this is the right section...? Lol

I am looking for recommendations for a bed bike rack for my '09 Pro4x Crew cab. It needs to be able to hold 2 bikes but 4 would be great!

My buddy recommended this site: https://www.etrailer.com/bedbike-2009_Nissan_Frontier.htm

I also have the standard 2inch Nissan hitch but I heard bed bike racks are more economically. I just need something for mainly in-city commuting (some highway) - nothing super serious.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Tons of options, in the bed using fork mounts, wheel mounts, over the tailgate, etc. I have a 2-bike hitch carrier for longer trips and added Yakima tracks to the bed rails for shorter ones.

Truck Covers USA tonneau cover

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I have the Yakima Bedrock w/ round bars and have been happy with it... I'm able to fit a cargo basket and two bike mounts back there but you might be able to do 4 if you had your bike mounts facing alternating directions.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I get you want to use your bed, but I found it easier to use a hitch bike carrier.

Mine is the Thule T2 classic. When we go camping I have the whole bed for camping gear and the bikes transport like a charm, not to mention getting them in and out from the carrier is extremely easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts

I've had good luck with putting the front tire over the tailgate. There's a pad specifically made for this, Dakine I think, but I just use an old crazy-creek camp chair. It's just a small foam pad to prevent damage to the bike frame and tailgate. I use a ratchet strap around the seat post to the utilitrack cleats and done. It's very secure, especially if you put a half hitch around the seat post, to prevent the bike from sliding sideways.

You can fit up to 4 full size mountain bikes this way.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I've had good luck with putting the front tire over the tailgate. There's a pad specifically made for this, Dakine I think, but I just use an old crazy-creek camp chair. It's just a small foam pad to prevent damage to the bike frame and tailgate. I use a ratchet strap around the seat post to the utilitrack cleats and done. It's very secure, especially if you put a half hitch around the seat post, to prevent the bike from sliding sideways.

You can fit up to 4 full size mountain bikes this way.
You're talking about a tailgate pad, or "shuttle pad" - I've been using one for awhile now, too, faster load-in and load-out. The common brands are Dakine, Yakima, Fox, RaceFace, EVOC (I have an EVOC), etc. and although the pic shows 3, I've loaded 6 at the same time before:

The only downside to this is that there's little security compared to bolt-on racks... you need a separate cable lock for any theft deterrence.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Totally agree. It's very quick to load and unload bikes, but you have to use a cable lock for security.
That's awesome you got 6 bikes in there!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a fork mount attached to my utilitrack too. Unfortunately the thru-axle on my new MTB doesn't work with the quick release shim, so I need to get a new mount.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a fork mount attached to my utilitrack too. Unfortunately the thru-axle on my new MTB doesn't work with the quick release shim, so I need to get a new mount.

I have two utili track fork mounts but for my bike I run a yakima adaptor, works great

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I recommend to go with Rockymounts - they're the best IMO for rail-mount. Excellent, strong build, works with anything from 9mm QR to 20mm Thru-axle, built-in keyed security, reasonable price for the features. I have yet to see something better that doesn't require add-ons or adaptors or extra cable locks, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
You're talking about a tailgate pad, or "shuttle pad" - I've been using one for awhile now, too, faster load-in and load-out.
I got a nice scratch in a demo bike I really couldn't (still can't) afford using one of those. Make sure your bikes have some way of not making contact with each other! There isn't really a faster way than this for bike loading.

I have a rockymounts tomahawk rack on my truck. It's not really what you're looking for, but I think it's great. Unless you do an over-bed roof rack stye thing.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I got a nice scratch in a demo bike I really couldn't (still can't) afford using one of those. Make sure your bikes have some way of not making contact with each other!
Well that just depends on what brand tailgate pad you used... the older-style or lower cost tailgate pads are just that - a plain pad. Bikes slide all over the place. The better ones have velcro straps to keep the downtubes separated, and the premium ones have straps AND nice, thick padding in between, no scratches from transport. You can see the padding below on my EVOC tailgate pad; even without the velcro straps (like when shuttling back and forth), the bikes still stay in their own spot. I do use the velcro straps during longer drives:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.