Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried these and found them to be better than standard?

Last few sets of conventional blades I've installed start chattering after just a few months. So I thought maybe I should try a set of beam blades.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I cannot see any image or link. Maybe the app is malfunctioning.
But I believe you mean windshield wipers, right? I always use the Rain-X brand with Rain-X fluid. It's a favorite of me. I got one inch larger size wiper than recommended (I believe I got 20” instead of 19"). Next time I'm going back to 19". The passenger side wiper doesn't completely make contact with the glass on its downpath. Not a deal breaker for most, but for me, it irks my nerves haha. So next set I will get a 19” at least for the passenger. The driver has no problem though at 20".

I usually go around a year before getting new wipers again. Sometimes sooner though as I always get concerned as soon as it isn't perfectly smooth. My friends usually go much longer than I do on the same brand wiper. Just how I like to do it though.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
I also would like a good wiper blade.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I cannot see any image or link. Maybe the app is malfunctioning.
But I believe you mean windshield wipers, right? I always use the Rain-X brand with Rain-X fluid. It's a favorite of me. I got one inch larger size wiper than recommended (I believe I got 20” instead of 19"). Next time I'm going back to 19". The passenger side wiper doesn't completely make contact with the glass on its downpath. Not a deal breaker for most, but for me, it irks my nerves haha. So next set I will get a 19” at least for the passenger. The driver has no problem though at 20".

I usually go around a year before getting new wipers again. Sometimes sooner though as I always get concerned as soon as it isn't perfectly smooth. My friends usually go much longer than I do on the same brand wiper. Just how I like to do it though.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Thanks! Now I notice the pass. side doesn't contact. After 15years it bugs me, now! lol

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I put a set on last fall. I don't remember what brand. They happened to be on sale and the cheapest at Fleet Farm. I think the beam style are a better design to keep snow and ice from fouling them up and affecting their clearing ability.

As far as longevity, I have no idea, I always replace spring and fall regardless.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Marketing claims aside (beams have constant contact rather than 6 pressure points) and weather issues (ice buildup in the arms of conventional style) beam type usually have a more aero design which will help slightly when wiping.
BUT the biggest factor to blade longevity and reduced wiper chatter is quality rubber composition of the blade and cleaning the blade. Road grime builds up on the rubber blade of the wiper. Grime, sun exposure degrade/oxidize the rubber reducing its flexibility and wiping performance. I usually clean my wipers every fill-up while waiting for the tank to fill. I take a cloth (or paper towel from the squeegee station next to the pump), dampen the towel with wiper fluid, pinch the blade and run it the length of the blade. I usually have to do this several times before the towel looks less black/more grey.
Sometimes I keep a pack of pre-moistened glass cleaner wipes in the truck also (usually summer) and use them instead. This keeps my wipers chatter-free for 3-6 months (spring pollen really gums them up) provided you also scrub your windshield periodically (usually when gassing up also).
No matter what you do to keep them clean the sun will kill the rubber. By the time you can see breakdown of the blade they're already past optimum life and are streaking when wiping. This is why I replace every spring &fall (after pollen and before snow) however if you park out of the sun (garage/carport) you can probably go a yr or more.

Back in the day you could replace just the rubber blade and reuse the spring frame. But lazy drivers (how do I replace the rubber?) cheap drivers (oh, they look fine to me) and beam style have dis-incentivised wiper makers to make/sell replacement rubber.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
I'm a 2nd gen so the glass curvature is probably different, but I recently put on a set of Bosch ICON wiper blades (beam type) right before the recent storm her in SoCal a couple weeks ago and so far they've been great. No chatter, less wind noise at highway speeds, blade touches end to end, super clean wipe with one pass. I usually stick to OEM but these seem better.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
I like Rain-X blades, as well. I do like the beam style in the winter, though, because they don't have the issues of snow and ice build-up inside the blade like conventional blades do.

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
Dear gawd! Good blades can last over 5 years

I've had mixed results with Bosch. Nothing but pleasure with RainX. Also like their fluid
Wow, I feel extremely lucky to ever go even 1.0-1.5 years...which they rarely do. Am trying Nissan OEM replacements this go around...they were affixed last Sept. The factory originals made it 16 months.

Honda makes excellent wiper blades. I even tried to see if they had a viable replacement for my '15 SV, but no dice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have beam wipers and I think they last a little longer than the other kind. As far as performance, they make better contact with windshield, so they move water more efficiently. Basically, it doesn't matter, just as long as u RAIN X ur windshield, that way u won't really have to use them, just let gravity and wind blows the water off. As for snow, I have no idea how good theyou perform, it doesn't snow that often in hawaii.

·
Registered
2015 CC SL 4x4 - Lear Cap.
231 Posts
Wow, I feel extremely lucky to ever go even 1.0-1.5 years...which they rarely do. Am trying Nissan OEM replacements this go around...they were affixed last Sept. The factory originals made it 16 months.

Honda makes excellent wiper blades. I even tried to see if they had a viable replacement for my '15 SV, but no dice.
Agreed OEM for me.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Dear gawd! Good blades can last over 5 years
I disagree. The frames can last a loooong time, but the rubber wipers are not effective after a year or less and within 2 yrs you can see cracks in the rubber and tears in the wiping edge. If you're buying @ Autozone/Napa/... you're talking 20-30/yr.... or you can order from RockAuto. I just bought a set for the beater and they were under $8 for a pair of Bosch.

Another thing you can do is wax your glass. Use Carnuba wax. Applied just like you do for the paint. Cheaper than RainX, and you don't have any "peeling" like you do with RainX. Been doing this for decades. The wax seems to last longer than rainX also... I've never had rainX last more than a month or so before I start noticing water sheeting (instead of beading up like it does when fresh). Also the wax helps GREATLY in the spring with the pollen.

super + clean + windshield

How To Make Wiper Blades Last A Long Time

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
RAIN-X > everything

1 - 15 of 15 Posts