Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After totaling my Frontier, I decided to buy an Xterra. Since my friend's are all here on Club Frontier, I am starting this thread to document the upgrades to my new ride.

Here she is bone stock on the day I brought her home.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here she is with the rebuilt 2.5" Radflo's and PRG UCA's installed along with the OME leaf spring packs.

I have also removed all the mud flaps, including the small one's in front of the rear wheels. I believe those were installed to increase MPG and I have to believe that because this rig get's way less MPG than the Frontier did.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Additional modifications

I purchased and installed a set of Weathertec Floor Liners front and rear.

I pulled the Hefty skid plate set from the Frontier and have installed the radiator, engine and transmission skids so far. I found the final bracket needed to install the gas tank skid and repainted it today. Good thing Hefty Fab shipped me the wrong bracket 5 years ago or I would have to buy this one!! The transfer case skid is going to take extensive modification but I need to have the gas tank tank skid installed to determine where to cut, bend and re-weld it.

I have all the parts to do the axle vent mod soon and I also have a set of White Knuckle sliders coming in mid dec.

I will also be installing my radio along with a new antenna before the end of the year.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sub'd. I hope this rig treats you as well as your Frontier did. Can't wait to see it on the trail.
Thanks Jen. I'm looking forward to getting back in the dirt as well.... maybe even in your neck of the woods for it's maiden voyage!

I stopped by a local 4X4 shop in Santa Cruz today to inquire about some help for a common issue the X has after a lift install. I have been noticing a vibration coming from the drive line at 30-35 mph. The shop manager suggested that I drive it for a while and see if the rear springs settle enough to resolve this. If the vibration continues, angled shim's can be placed between the springs and spring perches to rotate the differential up slightly. They have the shim's in stock and have a lot of experience dealing with drive line issues.

We also talked about installing shackles, which would correct the vibration issue since the X is a spring under design. This would mean more lift but may create an issue up front. He thinks the front should not be lifted further because the bump stops on the UCA's are already pretty close to the coil buckets.... maybe 1.25"s away. I am considering my option's while I wait for the OME leaf packs to settle a bit. Adjustable shackle's along with a small spacer on top of the C/O's might be in the works.....

This shop has been in business for 20+ years and does everything to 4X4's including maintenance, suspension, tire installation and alignments. They are willing to install parts purchased by the customer as well. Looks like I have found a good local shop if I ever need work done.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I will enjoy following this build .......

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
This shop has been in business for 20+ years and does everything to 4X4's including maintenance, suspension, tire installation and alignments. They are willing to install parts purchased by the customer as well. Looks like I have found a good local shop if I ever need work done.
Is this Central Coast Four Wheel Drive that you're talking about?

I'm surprised that the X gets way less fuel-efficient than a Frontier; I wonder if the X weighs more than a Frontier K/C? It could also be less aerodynamic (short and stubby body) than the Frontier. And I'm sure that the gearing's a bit different.

Welcome back, Brian!

·
Registered
919 Posts
That's a good looking rig. I'm surprised about the drastic difference in MPG from the Frontier though. Can't wait to wheel with you again and see it in person.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Is this Central Coast Four Wheel Drive that you're talking about?

I'm surprised that the X gets way less fuel-efficient than a Frontier; I wonder if the X weighs more than a Frontier K/C? It could also be less aerodynamic (short and stubby body) than the Frontier. And I'm sure that the gearing's a bit different.

Welcome back, Brian!
Yes, that is the shop I visited today. Greg is a nice guy and I feel confident that they will do a good job especially since you have already had a good experience with them!

I was pretty shocked at the highway mileage compared to the Frontier. On the trip back from PRG, I only got about 16.8 whereas the Frontier often got 22 MPG on the freeway. The X is taller and has the roof rack and lights up top. Jen is right on the money about the gearing but 3.36's are not that different. Another factor could be that the tow adjustment is slightly off.

I'm looking forward to getting the group together on the trail again soon!

That's a good looking rig. I'm surprised about the drastic difference in MPG from the Frontier though. Can't wait to wheel with you again and see it in person.
Thank you Joe! Hope to see you soon...

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hitch mod

I pulled the stock hitch off the X last week to cut off the plug bracket and make some more room for the rear spring install.

I bought a Makita grinder kit a while back that has a cut off wheel included. It made quick work of the bracket and after switching back to a grinding wheel, I removed the remaining material and the welds. After a little clean up with a file and scuff pad, I touched it up with a rattle can and you can hardly tell it was ever there. My rear recovery point is ready to be re installed.

Since I do not tow anything currently, I just sealed the plug on the end of the harness up with some duct tape and zip tied it up out of harms way. Eventually I will drill the hole in the bumper and re install the plug if I need to tow something but after buying this rig and getting the mod bug again, I sure cannot afford a trailer!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I recently (1 month ago) installed a hitch on my truck. If I would have saved the harness plugs I would have sent them to you

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Very nice! Good to see it getting some attention so soon. Looking forward to seeing on the trail in the future.

BTW, I'd be happy to trade MPGs with ya for a while ::grin::

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice! Good to see it getting some attention so soon. Looking forward to seeing on the trail in the future.

BTW, I'd be happy to trade MPGs with ya for a while ::grin::
The truck didn't get the lift until about 12000 miles but this one got lifted at 1300!! I'm really hoping to get on the trail soon but first I need to fix the drive shaft misalignment. Greg is shipping me the shims, so I'm hoping to have them installed next week.

I imagine those heavy 35" tires drag your MPG way down! The X guys are saying that adding 33"s make a huge impact on these rigs.... like 4 MPG. I would really like to up size but I am trying really hard not to spend ALL my $$$ at once! Since my tires are brand new and work pretty well in the dirt, it is hard to justify replacing them.

Since one of my friends from the NorCal crew is moving to LV, I may be coming down there to wheel with your crew at some point. Since I've never been down there, it's about time!!

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
The truck didn't get the lift until about 12000 miles but this one got lifted at 1300!! I'm really hoping to get on the trail soon but first I need to fix the drive shaft misalignment. Greg is shipping me the shims, so I'm hoping to have them installed next week.

I imagine those heavy 35" tires drag your MPG way down! The X guys are saying that adding 33"s make a huge impact on these rigs.... like 4 MPG. I would really like to up size but I am trying really hard not to spend ALL my $$$ at once! Since my tires are brand new and work pretty well in the dirt, it is hard to justify replacing them.

Since one of my friends from the NorCal crew is moving to LV, I may be coming down there to wheel with your crew at some point. Since I've never been down there, it's about time!!
I'm convinced tire weight and city vs highway miles and also not correcting your math plays a huge part in the huge difference. Not speaking for an X, but I only lost about 1.5mpg when I lifted and put 285's on my Frontier. I went with Duratracs which are lighter than the ever common BFG's and I'm mostly highway miles.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts

Ha! I lifted both of my last ones before they were broken in. I actually lost way more with the big lift than with the tires. Aero drag has a much bigger impact on my frequent hwy trips but bigger, heavier tires are a bigger impediment in city driving (and of course the 900lbs of armor doesn't help much either).
I was going to say that I wouldn't ditch the brand new tires either but then I realized that I've proven that paradigm wrong on several occasions :nerd: You can always sell the new stockers to recoup some cost...

You really should get down here at some point. The wheeling scene here is ridiculous as Dave and Jenn can attest to.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Love the seats.

1 - 20 of 228 Posts