Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So weird issue. 2 weeks ago i had to get a jump start at my gf's sisters house because the battery was dead. I thought it was because her nephew was playing in my car and had turned something on, although there was nothing on and at one point i even had the truck running.

So yesterday when is left for work in the morning, the truck didnt turn over right away, and sure enough that night the truck wouldnt start. I had to put a new battery in.

Whats funny is i noticed that on one of the caps on top of my battery was missing and the bracket holding it in, wasn't on all the way. In fact, one of the bolts was missing and the bar was laying next to the battery.

Sooo something strange is happening. I looked at photos of the truck new, and the battery is secured in place with both caps. All i've had done were oil changes, some body work in the rear when i got rear ended, and one of the nissan recals for an ABS sensor i think, i forget exactly what they fixed. Ohh and brakes, but i watched the guy do the brakes.

Soooo any idea how long the warranty is on the battery? The truck will be 2 years old at the end of July. 2008 Nismo

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think the battery is 48 months that's what mine says...I bought mine in April 2009 brand new and the battery went out May 2010! Had it checked and they said yep bad battery, but I searched this forum and noticed that Nissan batteries are notorious for failing. But the dealer said it was still covered but of course I am still under warranty, you might what to give your dealer a call or they might just tell you to call the Nissan warranty line....even if you replaced it with another battery my dealer said just say u where stranded and they will reimburse you if its under warranty.....

"Contact Nissan Consumer Affairs at (800) NISSAN-1 between 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Eastern/Central/Pacific Time, Monday through Friday, to find out if, in your particular situation, the cost of repair is eligible for reimbursement."

·
Registered
475 Posts
When I bought my truck this week, they explained the battery warranty to me like this; it's 36 months - 100% covered frist 12 months, 50% covered 12 to 24 months, and 25% covered 24 to 36 months.

I think it even states this in the warranty book you got when you bought your truck.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well she was no use. She said within 1 year its a full reimbursment but after 1 year and before 2 years its only 50% reimbursement.

I love how I buy a truck that sat on the lot for 4 months, probably got jump started a few times, and the battery dies within 2 years and i still have to pay for it.

Why not just give me a $100 discount when i buy the vehicle so i can put a new battery in when i get it so i dont have these problems, damn thing should last at LEAST 3 years and thats abusing it.

When I bought my truck this week, they explained the battery warranty to me like this; it's 36 months - 100% covered frist 12 months, 50% covered 12 to 24 months, and 25% covered 24 to 36 months.

I think it even states this in the warranty book you got when you bought your truck.
Yeah she kept using that as her "policy" but my dealership never explained ANY warranties to me. The only time a warranty was ever discussed, was when we talked about an extender warranty and i said "ehh i'll buy it elsewhere" then they asked for the price i was going to pay, they matched it and sold me the warranty. So thats only mention of warranty at all.

Seems wrong to me, it really does. How can they put a battery in their vehicles that they will only stand behind for 1 year...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That is generally standard fare for OEM. Even new is only 2 year max I think, then it becomes pro-rated for how ever many months are in the warranty.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I have to ask, what battery did you put in?

Also, I know this has been brought up before but I believe the OEM battery requires maintance so if you didn't do this, it will die sooner. Then if you live in a hot environment, it will die sooner. Then if etc.... it will die sooner.

Personally I put in a WalMart Everstart battery. It was less then 100 installed and it has a great warranty. 3yr free then another 5yr pro-rated.

·
Registered
843 Posts
just replaced mine at exactly 36 mo.

I looked into the optima red but, the cost was almost double the autocraft gold. The warranty was better on the autocraft gold and the cca was the only difference 500 vs 625. I never new the oem battery was only 300 cca until i replaced it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My battery kicked the bucket early as well on my 07. Started leaking badly at some point and by the time I replaced it, it looked like some science fair project with all the blue-green crystals growing on it.

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
I replace mine going into the third winter provided it lasts that long. My Titans didn't even make 18 months. Even if your was under the first year do you really want another one that you'll never trust?
I usually go to Sears as there is always one nearby should it crap out.

Clint

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.