Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked into using an aftermarket battery with the new frontys?

Like an Optima Yellow Top. I took some measurements and such and I just don't think it's possible because of the way nissan designed the positive battery terminal.

:?:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I found this picture on a titan forum. It looks like he solved the problem with a short jumper cable. You might also check out odyssey drycell batteries. Models pc1200 or pc1700 might be a perfect fit. You can get them with the terminals reversed if need be.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks johnny, I may just do that shorty jumper idea

·
Registered
113 Posts
optima

optima is the bomb. i replaced my red with a yellow off a totaled 4runner. the yellow is definatley worth the extra $$$.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Talking about batteries? Has anyone done a dual battery setup? And maybe installed a 110v inverter??

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a set of 'leisure' batteries in the load area - charged by a split charger. Its to run a 2000 watt (240 volt remember over here) inverter to power lights / kettle etc.

Note! The alternator on the 2.5 diesel (may be the same on your 4 litres..) has three wires:-
output (obviously)
battery input (to power the field coils)
B+ (live only when turning to kill the warning light)

NORMALLY you just use the b+ wire to power a relay to create a split charger - however it doesnt have the power to fire a relay... I had to use a 'smartcom' voltage sensing relay to make it work. I only found this out after cutting the wires :roll:

The inverter sits nicely under the single rear seat base, and the cables go nicely through the vent holes in the back to the bed where the batteries are.

Guy

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
guydewdney said:
I have a set of 'leisure' batteries in the load area - charged by a split charger. Its to run a 2000 watt (240 volt remember over here) inverter to power lights / kettle etc.

Note! The alternator on the 2.5 diesel (may be the same on your 4 litres..) has three wires:-
output (obviously)
battery input (to power the field coils)
B+ (live only when turning to kill the warning light)

NORMALLY you just use the b+ wire to power a relay to create a split charger - however it doesnt have the power to fire a relay... I had to use a 'smartcom' voltage sensing relay to make it work. I only found this out after cutting the wires :roll:

The inverter sits nicely under the single rear seat base, and the cables go nicely through the vent holes in the back to the bed where the batteries are.

Guy
ok you have a duel battery set up?? are your batteries deep cycle?? i dont fully understand your wiring system. you charge your batteries direct from your alternator?
i run my duel battery from the car battery through a soliniod/ isolator with surge protection,that charges starting battery first and isolates starting battery when engine is turned off so you just draw of second battery.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
livin loud ... what gauge wire did you use?

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
i used 2/0 awg on my amp power wire, the ground wire going down to the frame, and on the jumper going to the mess of s#!t that nissan has going right to the + post on the factory battery. it might be a little overkill, but i had it laying around from my install in my previous vehicle. so i figured id use it. i probably would have ran 1/0 to my amps and ground, but that little jumper would probably only have to be 4 awg. i am thinking about removing my ground wire and getting a grounding kit off of ebay. there is a huge write-up about it in the general discussion forum. if you have not read it, fronty owners are seeing better performance, as well as better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
855 Posts
what model battery ae you guys using in the optima red top? I used to have one in a monte carlo and I sold the car but kept the battery, wondering if it will fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts