Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bates Nissan in Killeen, TX - Kind of weird experience

I recently, out of the blue got turned on to Nissans and wanted to check out a Frontier. I go to Bates Nissan first thing in the morning, and they're having a sales meeting so they pull the 2017 Salesman of the Year out of the meeting to help me out. When I initially saw that, I was feeling pretty good about things - like I had someone who knew his way around a Nissan.

The first red flag was him telling me that the Nissan Frontier was Front Wheel Drive. I asked him if he was sure 3 different times, and he kept repeating yes - in fact it's his favorite feature of the truck because of how much better it handles with FWD. I told him that was odd because I'd never heard of a FWD truck, and in my head I was thinking - that was not a FWD engine that I saw when the hood was popped. It was definitely forward facing. Besides, FWD in a truck is a HORRIBLE idea because the lack of weight in the rear end would make the vehicle almost uncontrollable to drive on bumpy roads. Having RWD when towing or with a load in the back also improves on traction and improves steering vs FWD with the same scenarios.

Second red flag was when I was asking about what the "empty" buttons do (We were in an SV). He told me the circular one was where extra buttons go for higher end models, but he wasn't sure what they were (actually, it's for 4 wheel drive selection and IS a knob). I told him that was odd since it was a circle, and he told me it was just decorative. Then the actual button that was empty (I now know to be for the locking differential that comes with 4x4) was for the top end models with the 360 degree sensors and would let me turn on and off the fronts and sides. Again - I did not know that frontiers came with that level of sensory safety. I had not seen that in the "build your owns" online. BUT, I have seen it in other trucks, so I was skeptical rather than just calling BS. From there, he proceeded to tell me about the two seat warmers, traction control (do FWD vehicles have a traction control button????) and the button with the lines pointing away from the box is for my cargo lamp. Right as he was telling me this, I was looking over at the other side that had a button labeled "Cargo Lamp". So when we got back to the dealership, I backed into the parking spot and as the rear impact sensors started alarming - I hit the so called "cargo light" button and turned them off.

Third and final (I mean, honestly the second red flag I was already out, but this just really drove the nails in the coffin) red flag came later. First, I text'd this salesman of the year asking if the differential came with posi-trac. No reply. So later that day I called the dealership, got him on the phone and asked him if it had posi-trac in the rear end. He wasn't sure what that meant so he asked around, and I faintly heard someone say "Yea, I think it does". To which he comes back to me and says they most certainly do. Later, I found out that instead of Posi-Trac, it has the ABLS. Supposed to do the same thing - just electronically via the brakes.

If you're not sure about something - just tell me. Certainly don't make things up just to impress me. I know I posted about this elsewhere, but I just wanted to share it hear so if anyone's looking up Bates Nissan in the future, this will pop up.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I have a boss like that...one that just wants you to sell something, not necessarily know anything about that something. My guess is because he knows nothing about what we’re selling. Lol

·
Registered
583 Posts
At my local dealership, the salesman who I was told sold hundreds of frontiers, I had to give a lesson on how part time 4x4 worked.
Absolutely clueless.
Nissan from what ive seen doesn't make any attempt at educating their dealerships unfortunately. Some do and require sales people take classes on the products.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
You can not blame Nissan, you have to blame the dealerships for not training their staff. Also the salesman must be willing to learn.. If you are like me you do your own research and comparisons before going to the dealership. I knew I wanted the Frontier, test drove it to confirm I liked it, then bought it. I never asked the salesman about the truck because I knew everything I needed to know. I didn’t go to the dealership to ask tons of questions that I already knew. Or try and make the salesman look stupid. I just wanted the best deal I could get.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
Every single car salesman I've ever dealt with has known little to nothing about the vehicle I'm looking at and or cars in general. More than once I've had to tell the sales person to stop talking, I know all I need to know and I know what I'm looking for/at. They are salespeople not necessarily car people. The general public is also not car people, so they can navigate their job just fine.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I will say the dealership near me does a great job knowing the features and capabilities of a vehicle. Even with all the internet research at our fingertips today, a good sales person can not only negotiate a good deal but can also clearly identify the benefits of their offering over another dealership. I have gone as far as to tell people that I didn't need to be sold on a particular vehicle, I just need to know the numbers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I deal with multiple salespeople with multiple vendors on a daily basis. It's what I do to keep my shop running smoothly. There's not very many times where I can excuse a vendor for not knowing the major points of their product, and I can never excuse a salesperson for straight making up facts.

Used Car Lots
A Salesman who's been on the job for under 4 months
New product being rolled in

That's about it the only times I can let it slide that a car salesman doesn't know all the info they should. A car/truck is the second most expensive thing most people will ever buy. It's a HUGE deal. If you're at a new car dealership as a salesman or service tech, the general public expects you to be the authority on that companies product.

Who knows, maybe I just haven't delt with enough car salesmen yet to have my expectations lowered.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Every single car salesman I've ever dealt with has known little to nothing about the vehicle I'm looking at and or cars in general. More than once I've had to tell the sales person to stop talking, I know all I need to know and I know what I'm looking for/at. They are salespeople not necessarily car people. The general public is also not car people, so they can navigate their job just fine.
My experience as well. I try to be polite, but at this point I've gotten to the point where about the only interaction I have with the actual salesperson is for them to take an initial offer to the sales manager and for them to hand me the keys at the end.

The thing is, the salesperson never even gets to do their job when I come in, because I have already decided exactly what I'm there for. There's nothing for them to sell me; I'm just there to negotiate price, which isn't really their job.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the Honda is the only Front-wheel drive truck. Either Front or AWD modes if I remember right.

We always tell a salesman that we will be the easiest sell because we know what we want in the particular vehicle. If not in stock can you get it? Price is the only thing that needs discussing. Give me your best price for me to decide if I will buy it from you. No going back and forth... it takes 10 min max to get a price from the sales mgr.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was shopping hard for a truck and man was I getting frustrated with bad info, and run around crap. Then a saw a truck posted on Vroom.

Heck, there were 11 Frontiers for sale on Vroom. All clean, low miles and reasonably priced.

I got my Frontier from Vroom. Did all my own research, had no salesperson to irritate me. The customer service people on the phone were great as was the driver who brought the truck to my house on a trailer. I may never buy through a traditional sales person again.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Funny , I had a weird experience close to Killeen also.
Was able to go for a lot of test drives!
Wasn’t Bates though.
I was employed there. Pretty orderly place.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Killeen has grown since I was last there. 1971-1972.
Is the Blue Binnet cafe still there?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Yes, I've seen and met clowns like this as well. Many yrs back, having my 1983 Camaro clutch, oil pump and oil pan replaced at the stealership; looking at a 1994 5.7L Impala SS on the showroom floor in late 1993, and the clown is telling me how great it is when the trans kicks down and the four-barrel opens up. No lie, you can't invent this stuff. We are sitting there staring at an LT1 with port injection and he loves the 4 barrel carb. Duct tape can fix most things, except stupid ..... and dead.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used to work at a chevy dealer right out of high school. When hiring salesman, we hired 10-20 at a time to get 1 to 3 decent ones. They were beyond dumb mostly. There's a local Nissan dealer here that now has trained and salaried sales people. They're not pushy at all. They make $48k base if they sell 1 or 50 a month.

·
Registered
114 Posts
In 1998 I told a salesman at a Chevrolet dealership that I was looking for a regular cab short bed 4x4. All they had were extended cabs, so he asked why I wanted a SWB model. When I told him because of the tighter turning circle for off-road; he said the new extended cabs had been improved and turned much tighter than they used to in spite of the fact that a 1998 GM truck was just like a 1988. Apparently they hadn't covered Pie R Square in the training sessions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts