Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
2022 Frontier SV CC 4x4 White Prem
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used anything like this on gen2 or gen3? Are they needed? do they work?

· Registered
2022 Frontier SV 4X4
635 Posts
Work? Define work.... They only modify how the signal the pedal sends to the to the truck (Pedal Position) It is not a tune if that's what you're looking for. It may make the truck FEEL faster, but it's just tricking the truck into making it think you've pushed the pedal further (or less far) than you actually have. IMHO, These are nothing more than a placebo device.

· Registered
1,483 Posts
Plenty of threads about the pros/cons to these. Basically controls the signal from the pedal to the ecm. Factory is set to have a little "lag" or delay. Kinda like an "eco" button on other brand vehicles. If you want to make the throttle response to be more sensitive or even MORE delayed, these products do that.
FWIW, I have been thinking about the pedal commander as well. Just want to buy a couple other things before getting this. I would like to make my throttle response a bit more sensitive as I have encountered a couple scenarios where the throttle lagged too much for my taste.

· Registered
69 Posts
I had a Roar Pedal on my Jeep Gladiator for a while. It did seem to have more pep with it. My only problem was that it also had control over the transmission shifting. It was very difficult to get into the upper gears on the highway. It would not go into overdrive either. Just my experience and if it doesnt help, sorry. Have a goodun!!

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, I am one of those think on the fly. No time to search forums which I have several times and end up with 500 or more posts UUGH. Friend at work is buying the Banks pedal monster over the other as it still allows operation of normal throttle if it fails where the other does not. He explained a little of it like you all mentioned above, just wanted to know if others have used them etc. Can't say I have necessarily been in a position where I needed throttle but did not have it, at least that I can recall off hand. Been in Frontiers since 2007 with 3 power train combo's all good so far.

Reactions: GreyFox

· Registered
34 Posts
Good info guys. I would've never thought about getting one of these products for my '22 until I had my moment where I came close to causing an accident due to what i consider serious lag in throttle response. My girlfriend drives it alot and wouldn't want her to experience what I did. We are both in our mid 40s and drive pretty mellow...but when you pay for 310 ponies you want them available at any moment!

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, are we saying they are worth the money?

· Registered
124 Posts
Unfortunately, the worth of these types of products is subjective. If YOU think the throttle lag is intolerable, then they may be right for you. The throttle response on my '22 SV is acceptable to me.

I have a Pedal Commander installed on my Can Am Spyder, and I love it. The throttle lag was significant, and the remapping of the throttle by wire woke the bike up. It connects to your phone via Bluetooth, and you can make adjustments either through the built-in controller, or the app. The throttle response returns to factor "normal" when it is not connected to the app, or you can choose the normal setting.

Good luck!

--Exco

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
unfortunately it looks like neither make one for the d41, banks only makes for titan and pedal commander only for 4.0 and 2.5

· Registered
1,483 Posts
unfortunately it looks like neither make one for the d41, banks only makes for titan and pedal commander only for 4.0 and 2.5
Pedal Commander DOES make one for the D41...it's the old D40 version. Again, search the forum as this topic was brought up several times. The guys who bought the 3 gen in late '21 were already plugging them in. ✌

· Registered
529 Posts
Has anyone used anything like this on gen2 or gen3? Are they needed? do they work?
I've got the RoarPedal installed on my 2020 Frontier and on my 2020 Abarth 124 Spider ........ Love It! Multiple settings available so you can completely eliminate lag from the throttle response which is what my goal was. I wasn't looking, in either case, to multiple or increase the response but rather I wanted to have the feeling of being directly connected and RoarPedal easily allows for that.

· Registered
529 Posts
QUESTION(s): Why do electronically controlled throttles/accelerators have to have a lag in the response? It seems that since fly-by-wire was first introduced there has always been a lag in the response between operator input and actual performance reaction. Why? This situation has seemingly been present on all mass produced fly-by-wire applications sold to the public be it an auto or truck or motorcycle for several years now. But yet the aftermarket can come up with a gizmo that enhances the electronic signal and shazam the lag is gone. Why can't the OEs build and install in all new vehicles an electronic throttle with no lag?

· Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
717 Posts
Manufacturers have to meet CAFE standards, aftermarket doesn't. The lag is kind of like a built in ECO mode.

Reactions: shift_RUSH

· Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, I am one of those think on the fly. No time to search forums which I have several times and end up with 500 or more posts UUGH. Friend at work is buying the Banks pedal monster over the other as it still allows operation of normal throttle if it fails where the other does not. He explained a little of it like you all mentioned above, just wanted to know if others have used them etc. Can't say I have necessarily been in a position where I needed throttle but did not have it, at least that I can recall off hand. Been in Frontiers since 2007 with 3 power train combo's all good so far.
Jay from Banks Power here. The PedalMonster for the '21 Frontier will likely also work on the '22. However, we need to confirm. Can you help? Can you unplug your pedal plug and take a few photos so we can see the pins and wire colors? Please email me at [email protected].

And for anyone following this post, we've invested hundreds of engineering man-hours into developing the PedalMonster. We hold several important patents that differentiate it, the most important being Reverse Safety. It's the ONLY throttle controller that defaults to stock throttle in reverse. This is accomplished through its OBD connection. This connection also provides +12v. All other throttle controllers leach 5v from the pedal circuit which comes from the ECM. This circuit isn't designed to power anything other than the pedal itself. Happy to answer any questions about it.

· Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Jay from Banks Power here. The PedalMonster for the '21 Frontier will likely also work on the '22. However, we need to confirm. Can you help? Can you unplug your pedal plug and take a few photos so we can see the pins and wire colors? Please email me at [email protected].

And for anyone following this post, we've invested hundreds of engineering man-hours into developing the PedalMonster. We hold several important patents that differentiate it, the most important being Reverse Safety. It's the ONLY throttle controller that defaults to stock throttle in reverse. This is accomplished through its OBD connection. This connection also provides +12v. All other throttle controllers leach 5v from the pedal circuit which comes from the ECM. This circuit isn't designed to power anything other than the pedal itself. Happy to answer any questions about it.
Question: I have an iDatlink Maestro 'wired into' my OBD...not plugged in. Can you speculate as to whether your PedalMonster would work the same or better than your competitors? I have a Gen 2 '15 SV V6 6-sp, fwiw.

· Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Good info guys. I would've never thought about getting one of these products for my '22 until I had my moment where I came close to causing an accident due to what i consider serious lag in throttle response. My girlfriend drives it alot and wouldn't want her to experience what I did. We are both in our mid 40s and drive pretty mellow...but when you pay for 310 ponies you want them available at any moment!
Some 'serious throttle lag' experiences are due to the Traction Control system kicking-in when wheel spin is detected. On a Gen 2, the Traction Control can be toggled off - which can prove very useful when wanting/NEEDING to quickly merge w/ traffic while turning. Just need to think ahead and toggle it off, first.

Reactions: 24bryant

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
here you go
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Style Black-and-white Plant

Hand Automotive tire Gesture Finger Bag

Hand Finger Gesture Gadget Thumb

Hood Automotive tire Font Gas Motor vehicle
Hand Guitar accessory Finger Gadget Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 45 Posts