Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've scoured the forum pretty good for more info on this exhaust, and I'm not finding a whole lot. Some, but not a lot.

Who has it? I'd like to hear more about it. Preferrably more clips...

I like that it's stainless steel and mandrel bends and replaces the stock Y-pipe. I don't care that it's 3", as I think that's too much for this truck and could result in some lost low-end torque, and make it a bit more "ricey" sounding...but maybe a different muffler could fix that? Maybe I'm wrong?

Anyhow, if you have it, please post your thoughts on the Banks Monster Exhaust.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I've scoured the forum pretty good for more info on this exhaust, and I'm not finding a whole lot. Some, but not a lot.

Who has it? I'd like to hear more about it. Preferrably more clips...

I like that it's stainless steel and mandrel bends and replaces the stock Y-pipe. I don't care that it's 3", as I think that's too much for this truck and could result in some lost low-end torque, and make it a bit more "ricey" sounding...but maybe a different muffler could fix that? Maybe I'm wrong?

Anyhow, if you have it, please post your thoughts on the Banks Monster Exhaust.

Thank you.
3" in the back is not going to hurt you.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
To be honest, just buy the Nismo or JBA.

The banks system has its ups and downs. The SS is nice but the 3" piping hurts the low-end. The mandrel pipes are nice but the muffler has been reported to fall apart internally and rattle.

If you want max performance, go custom. Keep it in the 2.25 range and 2.5 if you are going to do some extensive engine mods. Eliminate the Y pipe all together and do a dual in/out or a dual in single out.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
To be honest, just buy the Nismo or JBA.

The banks system has its ups and downs. The SS is nice but the 3" piping hurts the low-end. The mandrel pipes are nice but the muffler has been reported to fall apart internally and rattle.

If you want max performance, go custom. Keep it in the 2.25 range and 2.5 if you are going to do some extensive engine mods. Eliminate the Y pipe all together and do a dual in/out or a dual in single out.
has that been proven dubie? i thought you were fine going bigger in back, its just up front what matters? thats what i have been told

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
has that been proven dubie? i thought you were fine going bigger in back, its just up front what matters? thats what i have been told
It has been proven, bigger pipes in the back does hurt the low end a bit but does help the HP gains.

It has been shown that the Banks system follows this exact trend. The large pipe and huge muffler hurts the low end and doesn't exactly make the heavy truck stronger since you have to raise the rpms to get a load going.

It is also true if you go too big on a set of B-pipes, you can really screw up the system.

In the end, the systems performance is based on everything from the headers to the CATS to the muffler to where you dump it out.

One of the best systems for the 2nd gen what I stated previous. You need to eliminate the Y-pipe and use a dual in muffler then either dual outs and dump it on the side or to cut down costs, a single out but make sure you go with a larger pipe to keep the exhaust flowing properly. It has been used on numerious trucks and hasn't failed yet while all other systems just don't live up to the custom job due to performance or money.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
It has been proven, bigger pipes in the back does hurt the low end a bit but does help the HP gains.

It has been shown that the Banks system follows this exact trend. The large pipe and huge muffler hurts the low end and doesn't exactly make the heavy truck stronger since you have to raise the rpms to get a load going.

It is also true if you go too big on a set of B-pipes, you can really screw up the system.

In the end, the systems performance is based on everything from the headers to the CATS to the muffler to where you dump it out.

One of the best systems for the 2nd gen what I stated previous. You need to eliminate the Y-pipe and use a dual in muffler then either dual outs and dump it on the side or to cut down costs, a single out but make sure you go with a larger pipe to keep the exhaust flowing properly. It has been used on numerious trucks and hasn't failed yet while all other systems just don't live up to the custom job due to performance or money.
i see, thats why i only want to go to 2" when i get headers and redo the secondary cat B pipes.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
it depends on what you want. if you wanna hear your truck roar and pull hard above 5k rpm when you mash on the accelerator go with the banks, or better yet match the banks exhaust with something custom and save yourself $100. if you want more power lower in the rpm band for normal driving go custom like what dubie said.

either way you're gonna get better performance, it just depends if you want that performance to be more on the low side and creeping in on the high (for every day driving) or all high cuz you're racing some guy next to you.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
kannibul I run a custom set-up like dubie is describing.

I have a dual in/dual out Flowmaster muffler with custom piping (factory 2.25" dia) from the cats back.
This eliminates the factory restrictive "Y" pipe.

I'm pretty happy with my set-up but here's what I would change if I were to do it again.
First let me say I like the sound of the Flowmaster but I'm sure a Magnaflow or other would be equivalent so don't get hung up on one brand.
So, my suggestion would be to do a dual in, single out.
Why?
1) Nice exhaust tips are pretty expensive.
2) I think a resonator is necessary to eliminate drone.

Yes, I have some drone at around 2000-2200 rpm, nothing horrible but definitely there.
Adding a resonator after the muffler (like we have stock) would cancel this drone I'm pretty sure, that's where having a single out would be a benefit, only one resonator to buy.

Oh, one other thing that I've noted people saying here on CF is don't go with a small muffler, they tend to sound more ricer than larger ones.

That's my take on it, any questions ask away.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I too have been contemplating the Banks, however, giving up ANYTHING on the lower end is totally not what I'm interested in doing.

I understand the whole custom build thing to get the perfect revised Y-pipe and all, but I have to be honest, this is for me just my pickup, I have several cars that are my priority, as in gets my time and money.

So, here is my situation:
I have to have a better sounding truck
I'm not willing to give up the low end for some high end gains
I just won't spend the time or the money getting a custom system done, zero interest in going that route
Should I just cut the stock pipe after the OEM Y-pipe and put a Magnaflow on?

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
I too have been contemplating the Banks, however, giving up ANYTHING on the lower end is totally not what I'm interested in doing.

I understand the whole custom build thing to get the perfect revised Y-pipe and all, but I have to be honest, this is for me just my pickup, I have several cars that are my priority, as in gets my time and money.

So, here is my situation:
I have to have a better sounding truck
I'm not willing to give up the low end for some high end gains
I just won't spend the time or the money getting a custom system done, zero interest in going that route
Should I just cut the stock pipe after the OEM Y-pipe and put a Magnaflow on?
Going custom won't cost you much if any more than a cat-back system.
My muffler was like $100 and the exhaust work cost me about $200.
If you're not going to eliminate the "Y" pipe you might as well not do anything in my opinion, unless all you want is sound (and not much more performance).

And I did not lose any low end with my set-up just for the record.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Going custom won't cost you much if any more than a cat-back system.
My muffler was like $100 and the exhaust work cost me about $200.
If you're not going to eliminate the "Y" pipe you might as well not do anything in my opinion, unless all you want is sound (and not much more performance).

And I did not lose any low end with my set-up just for the record.
Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I am not being clear enough, the point I'm trying to make is it's not the money thing, it's the time thing, I do not have and will not spend the time to get a custom job figured out, sourced, and built. I will though take the time to order something and install it myself for sure.

My primary desire is to get a better sounding ride, the OEM is too quiet and as I have the 6-speed manual, I like/need to hear it for proper rev matching, AND, I do not want a loss of power at the low range of the rpm scale.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I am not being clear enough, the point I'm trying to make is it's not the money thing, it's the time thing, I do not have and will not spend the time to get a custom job figured out, sourced, and built. I will though take the time to order something and install it myself for sure.

My primary desire is to get a better sounding ride, the OEM is too quiet and as I have the 6-speed manual, I like/need to hear it for proper rev matching, AND, I do not want a loss of power at the low range of the rpm scale.
I understand what you are saying Trip.
My exhaust shop took less than two hours for the whole install and I didn't get my hands dirty or have to fight rusted bolts etc., you get the idea.

I've heard some bad things about some of the cat-back systems.
Mufflers falling apart, parts not lining up, hangers in the wrong place resulting in the exhaust hitting something, crappy welds, etc..

I did a lot of research before I got rid of the factory exhaust and other than the things I mentioned above it has been exactly what I wanted.

Good luck with your decision and choice.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I understand what you are saying Trip.
My exhaust shop took less than two hours for the whole install and I didn't get my hands dirty or have to fight rusted bolts etc., you get the idea.

Good luck with your decision and choice.
Thanks, this decision and choice is driving me crazy, I come onto the forum hoping each day I'll find some new solution I have not found before. :)

I'm not too worried about rust, my PRO-4X has less than 8k miles on it.

I had fantastic results from the Magnaflow that I put onto the Titan, clearly no loss of power, awesome sound, perfect fit to OEM hangers. Am I deeply disappointed they don't sell a real cat-back and the OEM Y-pipe is not replaced? YES! Yes, yes, yes in fact. But the sound was awesome and the install was easy as in took very little time.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I do not have and will not spend the time to get a custom job figured out, sourced, and built. I will though take the time to order something and install it myself for sure.
So then get a cat-back and be done with it already. I have a JBA for four years now with zero problems, ever. Just two bolts and you are done.

·
Registered
574 Posts
So then get a cat-back and be done with it already. I have a JBA for four years now with zero problems, ever. Just two bolts and you are done.
That is the plan, but the Banks sounds like it robs power down low, and I do not want that.

And what exactly is a JBA for those of us who are acronym-challenged?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and...sadly, I don't want a side exit :(

How much low end torque is lost with Banks?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was referring to Banks w/ low end loss.

I called them, and they said they wouldn't sell it if it posted a loss anywhere....

That being said, has anyone actually put it on a dyno?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I've had my Banks on since mid July, and if it ever does need replacing, I wouldnt hesitate to buy another in a heartbeat. I got it direct from Banks during their 4th of July sale. I think it came to 430 shipped to my door. The sound is perfect, the quality is top notch. I did post a review up for it back in July, so a quick search should bring it up. And i did NOT lose any torque at all, but I have not dynoed it to see what it did give me. Paired up with all the other stuff on the truck, it made a perfect compliment to the performance

1 - 20 of 43 Posts