Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I wimped out on the install! I don’t have ramps and the floor jacks I have are small (enough to get the tires of the ground for a rotation but not muck more!), so I called the local Midas and they did it for $60.00! It was probably money well spent because as I watched struggle with the old system (with the truck on a lift), I thought to myself I would never gotten that off laying on my back in my cold garage!

Once the old system was off, the new went on pretty quick, but I was a little baffled as I watched three ASE certified mechanics scratching their heads wondering how to mount the included plate to off-set the factory hanger (more on that later). The finally got it all in place and buttoned down and I was on my way!

First impressions… Louder than I expected! I have not been on the highway yet, but you can hear it in the cabin. Real nice low grumble at idle, but you definitely know it’s there when you step on the gas. It’s louder that what I remember my Gibson being on my F-150, but not nearly as loud as some Dodge and Chevys around here that are running duals (and probably no mufflers!). Visually, it’s very shiny! (Take note OkiScot!) And it does hang about an inch lower than the stock muffler, probably because it’s round. Now, back to the off-set plate for the hanger that attaches to the front of the muffler

When they pulled it around front after the install, it appeared the front of the muffler hung lower than the back, but I figured they were the experts (and I did bring them the instructions), so when I got home I slid under the truck to check their work. I noticed the factory hanger was mounted to the bottom of the off-set plate and it appeared to be pushing down on the muffler clamp. I loosened the clamp, removed the two bolts holding the off-set plate to the frame, flipped it over do the factory hanger was now on top, and whala, the muffler now “hangs” from the hanger and the muffler is level! They also missed the spot when clamping the tail pipe section to the back of the muffler, so I could actually twist the tail pipe section with my hand! Back under the truck to reposition it to where the clamp actually clamps the tail pipe to the muffler, one last adjustment to ensure the chrome tail pipe extender looked right and tightened everything down again. It’s good and secure now, and ready for the highway test. More to come on that later…

Here are a few pictures, sorry about the quality, I should have brought my camera along and taken some shots with it on the lift! But, at least you can see the Y-Pipe, Shiny Muffler, and Tail Pipe (which doesn’t stick out as far as it appears to in this pic, it was the angle of the shot!). Hope you enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're getting a nice wintery mix of sleet, snow, and rain, at the moment, so it's snug in the garage for now! Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, so may be a good day for a drive and a bath! Will try to get some better pics at a distance then.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I got a couple pictures from a little further away, they put things in better perspective!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts