Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Well, I got my Tonneau installed finally. I thought I'd share the install experience and some thoughts.

The packaging.

What's inside.

Step 1: Clamp the rails in place.

Step 2: Fit up and square the cover.

Bak forgot to put weather stripping here, so I used some insulating tape.

Piss poor design from Bak causes this cover to hit the rear of the cab and the tailgate still won't close. If only I thought to close the tailgate before drilling the holes.

Step 3: Radial saw time.

Oops! I forgot to take pix of the remaining steps. My bad.

The finished product.

My thoughts: This is my first bed cover, so I don't have anything to compare it too, so bear that in mind when reading this review. After sawing 1/2 an inch off of the front portion it fits pretty well. However, it doesn't sit precisely squarely on the rails the way it should. Is my bed out of square? I'm too lazy to check. The result is that in order for it to look square from the outside--in other words, how the seals fit against the lines of the body--the rigid structure is not nearly square. The result is that the latches on the middle slat don't grab the rail the way the should. So there is a bit of flapping going on down the highway. I'll fix that later. Additionally, they sealed 3 of the 4 edges of the bed cover. Did they purposefully neglect the 4th, or did they forget? Anyhow, I'm happy with the finished product, despite the minor complaints. There is a nice bushing in place so that when the cover is folded up, it insulates it from the window--preventing an unwanted impact. The power improvement at highway speeds in 6th gear are substantial. The improved aerodynamics should really help my mileage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the review, I was tossing around the idea of putting one of those on my truck and still havent made my decision yet. A shell may be the winner but it was great to see how one goes on.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That is freak'in [email protected]! Does that tonneau lock? I love the hydrolics and it is perfectly flat when extended. This is definitely the best looking truck bed cover I have seen yet. What that set you back, $1k?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was $575. As for the shocks, I'm thinking of taking them off after I finish moving. The reason is that there is a slight lift, and at highway speeds air can get in and cause a slight flapping. It doesn't make noise or anything, but it reduces aerodynamics and is causing a rubbing of the metal pieces to the point that after only 200 miles on this cover, the paint is gone at every seam. I'll post a pic later, if I get a chance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bakflip Cover

Just got my Bakflip installed (20 min.) and it looks and works just great! I can't think of a more practical hard cover for my Frontier. It works great with the utility track.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone know if the bakflip cover will work if you have the utilitrack rails installed in the bed? I can't tell if the clamps will work or not.

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
mjacks said:
Anyone know if the bakflip cover will work if you have the utilitrack rails installed in the bed? I can't tell if the clamps will work or not.

Thanks
I had the same question and this thread here answered it. :)

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5840&highlight=bakflip

I do have a question though that hasn't been addressed in either of these threads. Is there a place to run the drain tubes? Sounds like a dumb question but I don't actually own a Frontier yet (on order) so I can't just run out in the driveway and look for myself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
there are rubber grommets near the front of the bed where i ran my hoses. drilled 3/4" hole in them so its neat. Works with the utilitrack but i had to grind a little off the bed extender slide to get by the mounts. only a little. Easy installation, took an hour and that included the grinding. looks great, works great. $578 for long bed model but i picked it up. Would have been $600 delivered. Only downside is when all the way open and against the glass a piece of metal that covers the latch hits the class. Gonna put some foam tape on it. Mine sits up almost straight as opposed to jwtillema pics
The front piece that jwtillema had to cut is made of rubber on mine and works a whole lot better. Also it sits on top of the tailgate as opposed to against it so close taolgate then top.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe I missed something, you had to cut some off the cover? That seems really strange for a product supposed to be made for your truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts