Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer just installed the BakFlip G2 tonneau cover on my 2016 Frontier. I like to do my own work, but they threw it in as part of my purchase, so I can't complain. Pretty happy with it, but I have a few questions that I didn't find via 'Search'. I have the SVCC, with 5' bed:

• Will I have to remove the cover if I throw a dirt bike in the back, using the bed extender? What if I leave the cover propped up?
  • Are those '...don't drive with the cover up...' warnings for liability, or will it otherwise go sailing down the highway?
Thanks for the insight. Pics for attention.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a CC 5 foot short bed.

I can fit 2 motorcycles in the back easily but must leave the tailgate down, if you put the bike in sideways you can probably get it all the way in with the tailgate up. If not, with an extender you will have plenty of room.

Cant comment on the cover issues or legality. But I assume since you have a blocked rear view, it could be ticketed.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I drive with my G2 propped up every time I go on 2-3 day fishing trips as my bed is usually packed with camping gear. Just make sure the two arms/rods are in place and secured down with the lock. My drive is usually 75-80 miles on road and another 2-5 miles off road depending on location and average 70mph. Been doing this for 2 yrs now. Those arms are there for that purpose and one of the reasons why I went with the Bakflip. Does the manufacturer not recommend that cause I don't recall seeing it in my paperwork when in bought it.

·
Admin
3,282 Posts
I don't recall seeing that warning about driving with the cover up in my install instructions either, maybe it was added later as mine is about 3 years old.

I have done it many times, and I certainly don't believe it could ever fall off, as those little arms are not what is securing the cover on the bed.

I suppose there is a chance that the cover could 'close' on your load if you don't have those star wheels cranked down, and are driving on very rough terrain or off-road.

I'm honestly not sure if I could get a ticket for this or not in my state. I do put my back up camera in diagnostics mode (so I can see behind me while in forward motion) because its handy, and I suppose if I am stopped I would show the camera (if that makes any difference).

I found the diagnostics camera mode here, not sure if it will work on your year or model.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f24/how-modify-factory-backup-camera-181545/index2.html#post2358082

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ive driven cross country twice hauling a motorcycle. Once was a 2011 Kawasaki Ninja zx6r and the 2nd was a 2012 Harley sportster. Both bigger than a dirtbike and I had no issues either time with my bakflip.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have an UnderCover Triflex cover (which is pretty much the same as the
BakFlip) that I've made a dozen or so trips to my son-in-law's place
(should son-in-law be capitalized ?) with, It's about 300 miles each way.
Because I'm usually hauling a bunch of stuff. I have to keep the cover
folded. I've never had any problem... I don't know what our average speed
is, but I know that we touch on 90 once in a while and never had a problem.
Wait! ... did I say 90? ... I meant 55.

·
Admin
3,282 Posts
I have an UnderCover Triflex cover (which is pretty much the same as the
BakFlip) that I've made a dozen or so trips to my son-in-law's place
(should son-in-law be capitalized ?) with, It's about 300 miles each way.
Because I'm usually hauling a bunch of stuff. I have to keep the cover
folded. I've never had any problem... I don't know what our average speed
is, but I know that we touch on 90 once in a while and never had a problem.
Wait! ... did I say 90? ... I meant 55.
90Kph of course :) gotcha.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Does the manufacturer not recommend that cause I don't recall seeing it in my paperwork when in bought it.
I swear I read that somewhere, but I may be mistaken. In any event, it sounds like you guys are having success driving with it up when needed, so no worries here.

Ive driven cross country twice hauling a motorcycle. Once was a 2011 Kawasaki Ninja zx6r and the 2nd was a 2012 Harley sportster. Both bigger than a dirtbike and I had no issues either time with my bakflip.
Great to hear; excited to get a bike back there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts