Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
socal guys and everyone else. who would be up for a Baja California trip? Friday-sat-sun- camping excursion. Ive never been but looks awesome. maybe run the baja 1000 area and camp at the beach. what you do guys and gals think? This is up in the air but if enough people like the idea ill write it in stone. also what would be a good date. Aug-Nov?

UPDATES: 5/9/12

November is out because its Baja 1000 Time

LIST: Club Frontier and SCCX
Intrested /confirm/tentative
1)HenryPro11
2)LAONETIME-intrested
3)crewmaxxis-tentative
4)ryan-intrested
5)mesoGlea-?
6)ozevega-?
7)Justin123560- intrested
8)Blackx aka Jeff (SCCX)- intrested but doubtful
9)
10)

·
Rogue Admin
13,017 Posts
i drove the entire Baja peninsula many moons ago - the road is always in shite shape. i blew three shocks while staying on the paved parts. be prepared, enjoy the road blocks

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i drove the entire Baja peninsula many moons ago - the road is always in shite shape. i blew three shocks while staying on the paved parts. be prepared, enjoy the road blocks
ouch, that blows(no pun intended)

other than that how was it? Due to Time, i dont think we would have time for the whole peninsula. What other troubles did you have?

also here is a general checklist i found.
Baja Camping Road Trip - Guide to Camping and Driving in Baja

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'd like to go possibly if my schedule works out. You won't be doing crazy wheeling out there right? Looks like a lot of stuff you need to get done before crossing over to no-mans land.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to go possibly if my schedule works out. You won't be doing crazy wheeling out there right? Looks like a lot of stuff you need to get done before crossing over to no-mans land.
Yeah nothing too crazy as I only have a level kit. But main idea is to caravan out to Baja and site see and push the trucks. Camp and see local towns and try. Ee things. I'm looking at easy to moderate trails on the way and really planning it out. Gas spots, safer towns to stop at, looking into satalite phone for I case purpose, food. But beaches. Down there are very nice and the terrain is so nice, weather so nice, most people so nice.

·
Registered
360 Posts
that sounds like fun! but i only have 2WD with a locker so i dont think i will make it up some of the obstacles haha :p

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that sounds like fun! but i only have 2WD with a locker so i dont think i will make it up some of the obstacles haha :p
Seeing how most of it is highway,dirt, fire roads I think you would be ok in 2wd. I'm looking into the tag bumper with winch and I have a hilift with tow straps. We won't push you to try things we or you don't feel comfortable or if it's deem unsafe. In a case where it is nessisary than we would be able to get you through

·
Rogue Admin
13,017 Posts
things to watch out for -

lots of road blocks. the federal and state ones are fine, its the local police roadblocks you gotta watch out for - they will give you the shakedown. have your import papers for your vehicle if you are out of the "safe zone" allowed by Mexico for US tourists (I think Ensenada on the Baja is as far south you can go without importing your vehicle). Make sure you hand in your papers BEFORE you leave Mexico or they will freak on you

take tools and parts you may need - rad hose, fluids, etc.

the gas down there is poor quality and stations open when they feel like it in the Baja

there are large speed bumps before towns on the highway - beware of those.

if you see a vehicle coming towards you and they don't have their lights on, they probably don't have lights to begin with (or front end)

take lots of water

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Hi All; I'm from Baja, and no, is not dangerous like other parts of Mexico, actually is of the safest states in Mexico.

In november is the Baja 1000, so octubre it would be a great month to do that trip, a lot of racers that are on the trail since months before the race, so is safe to be on there.

on the baja 1000 i always go to San Felipe, you can go camping here

Pete's Camp | Campsites on the Beach

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Non taken bro, just saying that is safer that other places in Mexico, so if you come to Baja you dont have to worry much about that topic, but you always have to be careful.

the 2nd link is the way to go!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
nice to see all this interest, im picking up interest on the SCCX forum as well.
BAJA CALIFORNIA

also looks like a good meet would be somewhere in San Diego to Bahaia De los Angeles, due to the fact that tis is a 3 day 2 night deal.
from san Diego its 424 mi, 8 hours 5 mins taking the Carr Federal 1/Mexico

things to watch out for -

lots of road blocks. the federal and state ones are fine, its the local police roadblocks you gotta watch out for - they will give you the shakedown. have your import papers for your vehicle if you are out of the "safe zone" allowed by Mexico for US tourists (I think Ensenada on the Baja is as far south you can go without importing your vehicle). Make sure you hand in your papers BEFORE you leave Mexico or they will freak on you

take tools and parts you may need - rad hose, fluids, etc.

the gas down there is poor quality and stations open when they feel like it in the Baja

there are large speed bumps before towns on the highway - beware of those.

if you see a vehicle coming towards you and they don't have their lights on, they probably don't have lights to begin with (or front end)

take lots of water
reminds me of the small town im from, main land mexico lol:laugh:

thanks for the info..

Is it just me, or could this trip be incredibly dangerous?
as with any trip. But only Ensenada would be trouble. out of all Baja. Im looking into routes, and making a complete list of spares. Im thinking two spare tires or one spare and fix a flat. Also many of the roads are washed out so there will be changed we would need to be ready for.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it just me, or could this trip be incredibly dangerous?
Hi All; I'm from Baja, and no, is not dangerous like other parts of Mexico, actually is of the safest states in Mexico.

In november is the Baja 1000, so octubre it would be a great month to do that trip, a lot of racers that are on the trail since months before the race, so is safe to be on there.

on the baja 1000 i always go to San Felipe, you can go camping here

Pete's Camp | Campsites on the Beach
great find, looks like day one camping:fantastic:

·
Registered
216 Posts
This is a sweet trip bro ! Give yourself some time in TJ for Hong Kong !:laugh:

Be safe and have fun. Don't forget to take lots of pictures.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is a sweet trip bro ! Give yourself some time in TJ for Hong Kong !:laugh:

Be safe and have fun. Don't forget to take lots of pictures.
think i wanna stay away from TJ..:laugh:

will do, you dont wanna come:confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts