Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a tick/tick/tick that comes front end at slow speeds. The noise goes away when I am in four wheel drive so all indications tell me that I have a u joint going bad. How do you tell which one or do you just replace both of them at the same time.This is on a 2005 4x4 with approx. 110,000 miles

·
Registered
31 Posts
The tick is usually from a cv joint, but u joints probably could to. I'd replace both u joints and see if the noise disappears. Buy good quality with a grease zerk. Moog is what I use. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
923 Posts
Take the shaft off and cycle the joints. The one(s) that are notchy and crunchy need replacing. if there is play in the bearings they need replacing. If there is rust and pieces of bearing coming out they need replacing.

If they are smooth and tight they are still good.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I have a tick/tick/tick that comes front end at slow speeds. The noise goes away when I am in four wheel drive so all indications tell me that I have a u joint going bad. How do you tell which one or do you just replace both of them at the same time.This is on a 2005 4x4 with approx. 110,000 miles
When a u-joint first dies it will bind. For me this always causes a dry squeak. You might be feel a slight vibration. If front DS the vibration will be a little more pronounced while in 4wd. If you spray the bad joint with lube the squeak will go a way for a few days. At this point in the failure mode, it is very difficult to absolutely confirm that you have a bad joint, without removing the DS and feeling the binding joint.

Once the needle bearing turn is dust and start to fall out you will get some play in the joint. This is when you can absolutely confirm the joint is dead. You do need to jack the car in the air so the wheels are free to rotate. Then grasp the DS near the joint and feel for play.

I would replace both ujoints at the same time. I did not and had to do the other shortly afterwards.

Replacing u-joints is also a very fine touch thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Typically bad front U-Joints show up as a vibration not a sound. As mentioned, Get underneath and pull on the joints up and down / twist as hard as you can. There should be no slack in the joints. You don't need to jack the car up to do this, since if its in 2wd then the TC end is free anyway. Rear joints are a different story.

If you do decide to replace might as well do both while you have the driveshaft out. And do yourself a favor and by a U-Joint press - or borrow one from the parts store - rather then trying to do it with a hammer or C-clamp.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Typically bad front U-Joints show up as a vibration not a sound. As mentioned, Get underneath and pull on the joints up and down / twist as hard as you can. There should be no slack in the joints. You don't need to jack the car up to do this, since if its in 2wd then the TC end is free anyway. Rear joints are a different story.

If you do decide to replace might as well do both while you have the driveshaft out. And do yourself a favor and by a U-Joint press - or borrow one from the parts store - rather then trying to do it with a hammer or C-clamp.

Good luck.
This is how I found out on mine, slight vibration around 30-40mph. I crawled under and checked front drive shaft and I could tell right away they were bad by trying to twist and they had slight play. Should be no play at all in these, plus there were signs of rusty lookin dust or dried grease thrown on under side. Changed both while out and good to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Much needed advice from everyone and many thanks! Hopefully this will be my weekend project tomorrow and what ever I find, I'll surely post it so others will know to!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update everyone. Found a bad u joint! It had all the tell-tale signs of one(rusty looking dust, no rubber seal and alot of play). Changed it out without much trouble(considering three bolts were seized on the shaft end) but all-in-all it wasn't bad. Now no more "tick-tick-tick". Many thanks everyone for the help/advice

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Glad you found the problem, I’ll be crawling under my pathfinder soon to see if that’s what my slight vibration is. Feels like my truck did before I did those just not as bad yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts