Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start the truck up it squeels pretty bad for about 5-10 seconds, only at startup though but it started doing it every now and again, now its about every time. Belts are fairly new so thinking I might have a bearing going south. On the two belts, there is no idler pulley right? so to slack off the belts the bottom slack is the bolt on the alt. and the top is the very top pulley with the adj. bolt correct? Only has 71k on it but if all the bearings feel tight I will just buy new belts, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There are two idler pulleys that unbolt. Change the bearings in each and the problem should be fixed. :noworries:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Belt squeal has been common on my 2001 Fronty.

I always just tighten the belts a little and it goes away.

Even my newer belts have squealed some. I would assume loose belts before bearings.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Being a nissan tech, I have seen it before. Take the belts off one at a time. after each belt you take off, start the truck. if the noise goes away after the first belt, then the tensioner pulley for the first belt is bad which should be for the power steering. 9 times out of 10 this proves to be the problem from what Ive seen. It is usually that first tensioner.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, didnt realize there was three just thought two originally, I pulled the first belt off, some slop in the tensioner and it may just be enough to make it sqeal a bit not sure yet I am going to crawl under and drop that plastic skid plate deal to get in from the bottom

·
Registered
59 Posts
Pretty sure the Power Steering Pulley is my issue here. What is the proper steps to tighten it? I want to try that first before replacing as the belts were replaced 6 mos ago and I believe they stretched. They are squealing now.

I see the idler tightening bolt. Do I have to first loosen the nut on the idler pulley itself, then tighten using the tightening bolt, then re-tighten the nut on the idler pulley? Or do I just go straight to tightening the bolt and whole assembly moves?

Jeff

·
Registered
260 Posts
Your first set of steps is correct. Loosen the center nut, adjust with the adjusting bolt, then torque the nut to 24-28 ft/lb.

I would go ahead and loosen everything, remove the belt, and spin the idler pulley to listen for any noise or harshness. If you notice any, it's possible the bearing is draging or locking for a second and causing your squeal.

The quick and dirty method for checking belt deflection seems to be setting to a point where you can just barely twist it 45 degrees on one of the long sides...

Heath

·
Registered
538 Posts
to every one that has this problem, you have to lossen the bolt that goes through the bearing first, now you you can loosen or thighteen the adjusting bolt ,then you tighten the bolt that goes through the bearing, if you do it in the wrong order ,you will ruin your bearing ,make sure you have the right amount of play on belt acording to factory spec ,in my case it is 8to10mm ,i have a 2004 4cly

·
Registered
815 Posts
Wow this thread helped me a lot :) Thanks guys :D

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ima give a big thanks to everyone who posted helpful things here in this thread...thanks to yall, i found the squealing noise and was able to fix it before anything bad happened :) and fixed the tensioner (sp) pulley that was bent (dont know how/why) and readjusted practially everything (they were all prety loose for some reason). Found out that the alt. beld was wayyy too worn out too so its a double whammy! Fixed the annoying noise, AND a effed up tensioner pulley :) Thanks guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts