Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would a bad purge valve or solenoid for my evap canister cause bad gas mileage?? My cel is on and the code p0447 states there is a problem in the circuit. I tried the gas cap and looked at the harness near the canister and no luck. I am getting around 12.5 mpg and thats not good. I just did the ks relocate and hope that it will make a difference at the pumps. At 102$ a liter (Canada), any savings can help. I know these trucks are not the most efficient but 12.5 seems quite low. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
What are you driving?

Mine is CC LB SE with LSD in rear 4x4. I'm getting 13-14 in the winter around town.

Matter of fact my truck only get 15mpg / 17.5 mpg in summer. I've done everything that I can think of (CAI, Exhaust, Lighter Wheels, Fixed sticky Calipers, E-Fan) I have no error codes and I still can't make it over 15mpg. I even drive real good too.

You may have some cracked hoses that go to the canister.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its an 02 CC LB Se as well. Cant be that hard can they?? Other people on this site get better than that.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I'm thinking it's the SE with LSD - you have it too. I just can't seem to get any better. I mean after I found the dragging caliper I thought for sure that I would should be getting better gas.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I wonder if it would harm anything if I left the canister alone and just drove the truck the way it is. I am pretty sure its an environmental thing only and has no role in the crappy mileage we get, at least I hope.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm thinking it's the SE with LSD - you have it too. I just can't seem to get any better. I mean after I found the dragging caliper I thought for sure that I would should be getting better gas.
]

had a lazy caliper huh? i had one of those. in fact i am pretty sure i got it when i bought the truck, although i fixed myself.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
]

had a lazy caliper huh? i had one of those. in fact i am pretty sure i got it when i bought the truck, although i fixed myself.
Yes, it was first sticky pins on the caliper which I fixed. But wasn't statisfied with the worst side on the right (which half of pad was gone) so I bought both calipers. I'll do rotors and pads sometime when it's warmer.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
its the winter my friend

your ECU sets the idle higher thus burning more gas, plus colder air = less dense air which equals the engine will run lean until the ECU feeds it more fuel... which it will

i go from 270 miles to a tank to 210 to 220 in the winter, it sucks... been doing that since i bought it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That makes sense. So having the cel on for my evap system doesn't play a role in the piss poor mileage? Asking because I dont want to fix the problem right away.........needs to get warm outside first! I also dont want to damage anything else like the ecm if I leave the problem the way it is.

·
Registered
214 Posts
i know this is for the 2004 vg33e dtc p0447 but

these are some of the possible causes they have the "man" start checking and in this order i guess. i have more if you need. good luck

DTC No. Trouble diagnosis name DTC detecting condition Possible cause
P0447
EVAP canister vent control
valve circuit open

An improper voltage signal is sent to ECM
through EVAP canister vent control valve.

Harness or connectors
(The valve circuit is open or shorted.)

EVAP canister vent control valve

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So this is what I discovered. I checked the connector at the vent control valve and it looked OK. I unplugged it from the control valve and tested for voltage at the plug and to my surprise there was low voltage coming out of the connector. So I checked the voltage on the wire in the back of the connector and had 12 volts. Must be a bad connector, so I snipped it out and connected the wires direct to the control valve and erased the code with my scanner. Drove a mile down the road and the SES is back on throwing P0447. WTF!!!! I am ready to pull the cluster and remove the SES bulb. This is exhausting me! I guess the only other thing would be to replace the control valve itself.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Probably just have to replace it. What voltage did you get?

On another note i get between 14 and 16mpg with 38" tires( thats calculated to include gear and tire change) depending on how much city driving i do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The voltage was 11.62/11.68, somewhere in that range. I did the Knock sensor change yesterday and drove 75 kilometers since. I filled up and did the math and got 15.25 mpg. Still sucks but its better than 12. Might also be because here in the Maritimes it is quite mild as well. Either way I don't think I am going to get much better than that. That is all city driving. Face facts, these little trucks are hogs on fuel, especially when I compare it to my old 2000 Taco. I got 21 city and thats not driving it easy. It is what it is. I dont want to beat this topic to death by complaining about poor mileage. Fuel economy is not the reason we drive trucks right?? Nicer truck than my Taco, alot more options and style.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick note, I priced the control valve at dealer...$140 bucks.....ouch!!! And thats Canadian funds

·
Registered
214 Posts
sucks i hear ya

The voltage was 11.62/11.68, somewhere in that range. I did the Knock sensor change yesterday and drove 75 kilometers since. I filled up and did the math and got 15.25 mpg. Still sucks but its better than 12. Might also be because here in the Maritimes it is quite mild as well. Either way I don't think I am going to get much better than that. That is all city driving. Face facts, these little trucks are hogs on fuel, especially when I compare it to my old 2000 Taco. I got 21 city and thats not driving it easy. It is what it is. I dont want to beat this topic to death by complaining about poor mileage. Fuel economy is not the reason we drive trucks right?? Nicer truck than my Taco, alot more options and style.
15.25 really isnt bad. your truck is rated close to mine, and my sticker(which i still have), stated 15-18 so you are right back in the range of normal operation.

yes these trucks were horribly designed when concerning with gas mileage. it truly appalling to think they would still make ANY vehicle post 2000 that doesnt get 20+mpg. the technology is there they just chose/forced to not use it for financial reasons.

dont give up, it sounds like you are making progress, and at the very least eliminating variables. it sucks but it also helps the learning process. keep at it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
my opinion

after looking at this evap control valve solenoid in my service manual, it would not surprise me to know that has gone bad.

i have some experience with control valve solenoid and it definitely something that can just happen..

try courtesy nissan for the valve.
or maybe rockauto

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.