Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll get pics later today but I'm pretty sure I blew the driverside engine mount. The rubber on the driverside looks very distorted compared to the passenger. Just wondering if someone can help me find the correct part # so i can install it myself. Any tips would be helpfull also.

I found this so far... do you think its what i need? Probally going to replace both at the same time.

Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

----or----

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214761&chapter=APF604&appSectionid=10&groupid=10039&subgroupid=60610&make=25&model=Frontier&year=2006&catalogid=1

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
To save yourself some money, you probably only need to change the broken one. The other mount is in compression so its not getting ripped apart. The saved money on the other side will probably be spent on a trans mount thou. I would check that before you start ordering parts thou.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i think I'm going to order both mounts but depending on how the driverside goes i might not install the other yet. I found a good thread on thenewx.org that shows what I'm talking about. Motor Mount - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Anyone got any tips on how to install? Anyone think I could lift the engine on a floor jack, or will i have to use a hoist?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
hoist is the best option, that way there is not a jack taking up space under there. I like to throw a block of wood between the frame and engine when it is hanging, nothing worse than the hoist failing and pinning a body part when no one is around:laugh:

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ugh not looking foward to this. haha

here is the pics

broken driver side

worn but not broken passengerside

trans mount looks good for now

and should i be worried about the fluid on the driveshaft? wheres that coming from?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tomorrow I'm going to ask a shop how much it would be for them to do it.... we'll see if its worth my time....

Anyone got any info about the wet stuff on the driver shaft?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My rear main seal is leaking just a hair, drop here and there. If it isn't leaking bad or causing any problems just deal with it and add the fluid. Fluid is cheaper than replacing a main seal.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That's your rear tranny seal leaking. Doesn't look too bad. You'll probably be able to top it for the next 100K, but I'd replace it when I flushed the tranny or replaced a u joint. Easy/cheap job w/the shaft already off.
I agree w/Dubie regarding the mounts.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$280+tax install if I buy the oem mount. total cost is somewhere around $425.

trucks lifted too high to support weight from the bottom. I just did a top mount 4cyl engine mount the other day and it was a breeze but made me realize theres no way to jack the engine up enough to properly replace the mount and reset it on the frame. Engine hoist is the only option and much easier but it would require renting or buying one for a good deal. So anyway what would you guys do? Pay to have it installed or rent the hoist and install yourself?

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you have the money and don't have time then the answer is obvious but to ask the board, we all love doing our own work for the most part so it comes down to are you confident and patient enough to do it or have better uses for the time it will take.

I would say do it yourself. (and this isn't meant to be smart *** or anything)

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
trucks lifted too high to support weight from the bottom.
I would jack it from the bottom with a big floor jack and a piece of wood. if thats not high enough...add another piece of wood. height is really irrelevent.....

I've seen engine mounts replaced on a couple Xterras and a couple frontiers...looks like its going to be fairly common issue for the guys that wheel. Check out and see if the 350Z mounts or G mounts are similar, I'm sure they have aftermarket mounts that will hold up better....and they might just fit.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nizmo, what was the first clue you had a blown mount and did you get it fixed?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
not fixed yet.... my truck sounded louder while offroading. just seemed like it wasent as smooth anymore. plus theres a slight vibration throughout the cabin while sitting at a light

well Ill try to find a hoist then. Its gonna be hard to find time to do this. Luckily I have a second car for mpg now. Hopefully a sunday in mid september this will be finished

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
just to update.... i gave in and had a local shop install the nissan mounts i bought. $500 install for both!!!! Expensive but needs be done and I dont have the time.

just picked up the truck. Old driver side engine mount was toast, i mean the rubber insulator was crumbling apart when i was looking at it. It rides alot better now, a few less creeks and noises also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts