Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 2001 SE 3.3L 4x4 with 199K on the odometer (timing belt and water pump have been replaced). I've been noticing a whirring noise upon acceleration recently. I'm thinking it is a bad belt pulley, but I'm not sure. Also, it makes a whining sound when the RPMs drop (see video link). Has anyone had any experiences like this?

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,197 Posts
Although mine is the 4cyl KA24DE, I have the same sound ever since I replaced my alternator. I've come to the conclusion that it's definitely the alternator because when I removed the alternator belt and start it up the sound is gone. Just haven't had the time to pull it and try to warranty it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although mine is the 4cyl KA24DE, I have the same sound ever since I replaced my alternator. I've come to the conclusion that it's definitely the alternator because when I removed the alternator belt and start it up the sound is gone. Just haven't had the time to pull it and try to warranty it out.
Interesting, I'll keep that in mind

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Pull off belt and spin the pulleys, see if noise is heard or too much resistance felt in each.

If your 2001 has individual belts, then pull belts individually and start engine for a few seconds, to isolate which belt is driving the sound.

My Frontiers are 4-cylinder, but my 1998 with 233K has needed both power steering idler pulley and the AC idler pulley replaced due to bad bearings.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Most vehicle owners with significant miles have gone through this.
Yeah maybe so, but it's worse with the Frontier because they stuck with the old fashion belt system for so long. Belt problems are few with serpentines

That said, if fiddling with the belts is my biggest complaint, I'll take that all day. It's a remarkably reliable motor even if archaic

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Yeah maybe so, but it's worse with the Frontier because they stuck with the old fashion belt system for so long. Belt problems are few with serpentines

That said, if fiddling with the belts is my biggest complaint, I'll take that all day. It's a remarkably reliable motor even if archaic
My 1998 and 2004 Frontiers are both 4-cylinder engines, and I have to say that their 3-belt design is pretty straightforward to change and/or adjust. My daughter was driving the 1998 150 miles away when the AC belt started squealing, then locked up and broke the AC belt. At least she was able to drive the truck still, which would not have been the case with a single serpentine belt.

For the record: our 2005 Yukon has a serpentine belt, but the AC compressor uses a small separate belt, so if AC compressor locks up on that, the vehicle is not immobile.

Yes: I carry the old used belts in the vehicles, for emergencies !!!

Reactions: myles2go

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, I have a 2001 SE 3.3L 4x4 with 199K on the odometer (timing belt and water pump have been replaced). I've been noticing a whirring noise upon acceleration recently. I'm thinking it is a bad belt pulley, but I'm not sure. Also, it makes a whining sound when the RPMs drop (see video link). Has anyone had any experiences like this?

Did you ever figure out that sound im having same problem i changes water pump and timing belt ans when you speed up or just parked give it gas and it makes that exact same sound so i found its from inside where tining belt is but not sure if it needs adjustment or something else its bad

·
Registered
2 Posts

Did you find out what it was?

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2.4l makes a whirring on deceleration. I think it is louder on hot days. It my be the clutch fan is making the fan engage more than normal, and makes a whirring noise. I know that if your clutch fan goes out, it engages the fan fully and sounds like a jet engine. Anyway mine has been making the noise for about two years now. And it is louder in the summer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2.4l makes a whirring on deceleration. I think it is louder on hot days. It my be the clutch fan is making the fan engage more than normal, and makes a whirring noise. I know that if your clutch fan goes out, it engages the fan fully and sounds like a jet engine. Anyway mine has been making the noise for about two years now. And it is louder in the summer.
Also mine makes a whirring sound on acceleration and I'm sure it is just the normal timing chain sound.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Did you ever figure out that sound im having same problem i changes water pump and timing belt ans when you speed up or just parked give it gas and it makes that exact same sound so i found its from inside where tining belt is but not sure if it needs adjustment or something else its bad
If the timing belt was adjusted too tight, it will make that kind of noise.

·
Registered
Great truck
669 Posts
you can listen to the different accessories by putting the tip of a long handle screw driver against them and the handle to your ear. bad bearings will be noticeable compared to the others with good bearings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts