Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I tried to start my truck yesterday evening, it acted like a dead battery. My buddy gave me a jump but it still wouldn't charge or anything. So I took the battery to Advance and they checked it. It was perfectly fine, it's not even 6 months old. When I put the battery back into the truck, everything worked fine. The radio came on, dash lights and headlights. But when I turned the key, the starter clicked once and then all the lights went out. I wiggled the negative cable again and all the lights came back on. I've done this whole thing multiple times with the same results. The starter clicks once and all the lights go out again. I've smacked the starter while my buddy turned the key and still get the same results. Right now it's stranded in a college parking lot. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks you in adavance.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
Check and clean all grounds.

Check both battery cables at the terminals and also look at the joint where the cables connect to the terminals. I had a car once where the connection looked good, but many of the strands of cable were broken.

Did the parts store person just check voltage or did they put a load on it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Check both battery cables at the terminals and also look at the joint where the cables connect to the terminals. I had a car once where the connection looked good, but many of the strands of cable were broken.

I'll do that today. I'm not really sure. She hooked the machine up to the battery and it ran its tests. They gave me the receipt. It had 593 Cold cranking amps and 13.0 volts. I don't know if their machine tests load or not. Thanks for the quick reply

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Um, thank shizzy. It was his idea, not mine.
Oops. I thought I replied to both of you.

It worked, I replaced the entire negative cable and it started right up. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
When he said he wiggled the negative cable and the lights came back on that's what I thought also, good going shizzy, this Buds for you.

::smile::

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
The negative cable on my '98 Frontier went bad too. It connected to the body and then continued to the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts