Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm out of ideas

The only option I have it to wire up a separate switch in the cab like this guy did. http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/reverse-lights-don-t-work-42299/

I pulled the original switch out of the transmission and tested it for continuity. I wasn't getting a strong beep. I was thinking it would be a simple fix. I just need a new switch. Unfortunately that isn't the case.

When I installed the new switch it didn't work. I even tightened down the switch as far as it could go thinking it wasn't set in all the way. If I cranked any farther I would have stripped the threading and caused bigger mess. I wiggled the stick to see if I could get the lights to flicker. Nothing came on. I even tried to hold the shifter with some force in certain spots to see if the lights would go on. I had to do that before with the old switch. That didn't work. I removed the switch and bench tested it. The new switch work just fine. I even put a jumper with across the harness to see if it was the wiring to the lights. Nope, they worked also . The only thing I can think of is that the Reverse Shifter Fork is messed up. Or possibly the Reverse Checking Cam. I've attached a picture of the stick in reverse where the switch goes. It kind of looks like the piece that pushes the switch is worn a bit.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Is the only option to remove the transmission?

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
If it's just not moving far enough out to push on the switch then I wonder if you can't epoxy a spacer to the reverse switch ball?

Or does the mechanism inside the trans not move at all?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My buddy thats a mechanic gave me the idea of putting some JB-Weld on the end of the push button to see if it works. If It does I could then find someone to weld the tip to extent it a bit. The only thing I'm worried about it what the switch is made of. If it has plastic in it will the heat from welding melt it and mess it up?

·
Registered
674 Posts
My buddy thats a mechanic gave me the idea of putting some JB-Weld on the end of the push button to see if it works. If It does I could then find someone to weld the tip to extent it a bit. The only thing I'm worried about it what the switch is made of. If it has plastic in it will the heat from welding melt it and mess it up?
The jb alone might not give you enough space, my guess is you'll have to jb weld a spacer on it. Like a nut or something

You should check if it's moving in and out at all and how far it's moving before you try that though

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I figured out the problem!!! It was the ACDelco switch. The contact closed when the pushbutton was all the was in. It needs to be closed at around the half way mark . I ended up getting a OEM switch from Nissan. My buddy got me his discount. It's not a 100% fix. I still have to tap the shifter toward me sometimes. But it works way better than the original switch.

My suggestion is to test the switch prior to purchasing it and see when the contact closes. If it doesn't close at about the half way point test a few other switches. Or just go with an OEM switch.

I'll add some video so you can see the difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's the switch that had me stumped. You'll see I have to press the button all the was in to get the contact to close

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts