Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK folks is the 17/18 Frontier a pretty safe bet, or will it be like my Chevy Colorado's (16 & 17) experience and be more than dissatisfying. I'd hate to get out of the Colorado only to have stepped into it again. And for those who might remember I had some issues with my Frontier years ago, but trust me... the Colorado's are way worse. I guess I'll always have a soft spot for the Frontier. Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can't speak for the Chevy but I just went from a 2016 Taco to a 2018 Frontier and 0 regrets. No issues and drives much more like a truck to me.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,832 Posts
I tried going back through your post history but couldn't readily find reports of problems, what sorts of issues did you have with the 2010?

My '15 at ~18500 miles isn't giving me any problems that originate from manufacture, only issues stem from it being a used car, and they're excessively minor at that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
What kind of issues are you seeing with your Colorado?

My 2016 has just over 13,000 miles now. No major issues, other than squeaks and rattles EVERYWHERE. But some of that may be from the cold weather too.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
What kind of issues are you seeing with your Colorado?

My 2016 has just over 13,000 miles now. No major issues, other than squeaks and rattles EVERYWHERE. But some of that may be from the cold weather too.
Interestingly the only squeak my '15 has is one at the driver's front, very rarely. Haven't felt the need to chase it down, but my hood is sitting a tad lower than it should relative to the fenders, so a simple hood stop adjustment might be all that's needed. It's probably never been adjusted.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies! The main issue with the Colorado's are the transmissions, both the 6 speed & 8 speed suck.

My 2010 had piston slap and/or knock. It's nickname was Clucky. If I could do it over, I would have bought an extended warranty & drove it until something happened.

Reactions: Bamps

·
Registered
605 Posts
The Chevy is a new generation Colorado. The Frontier is still the same since 2005 other than some adjustments.
I looked at the Chevy and the new Tacoma before deciding to purchase the Frontier. I didn't like how the new gens got bigger for GMC and Toyota. For me the tried and true 4.0 and transmission in the Nissan sold me. It reminds me a lot of my 06 Tacoma.

After 14 months of ownership, no issues.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks for the replies! The main issue with the Colorado's are the transmissions, both the 6 speed & 8 speed suck.

My 2010 had piston slap and/or knock. It's nickname was Clucky. If I could do it over, I would have bought an extended warranty & drove it until something happened.
At what miles did that issue occur with your 2010?

The thing I would say about the trans is... Get the manual. I got the auto, and while its better than most new automatics, its still an auto with a computer controlled mind. I think the frontier would be just about perfect if I had gotten the 6-speed. I will say the Frontiers auto is light years better in feel over the new Tacoma.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The Chevy is a new generation Colorado. The Frontier is still the same since 2005 other than some adjustments.
I looked at the Chevy and the new Tacoma before deciding to purchase the Frontier. I didn't like how the new gens got bigger for GMC and Toyota. For me the tried and true 4.0 and transmission in the Nissan sold me. It reminds me a lot of my 06 Tacoma.

After 14 months of ownership, no issues.
Mine was a matter of the features I wanted. Specifically I wanted a crew cab configuration (needed room for the child seat) and I don't want to own a truck with a bed shorter than 6'. I spent some time just figuring out what trucks (both full-sized and smaller) met the criteria, and when I looked at the Colorado/Canyon twins I couldn't find any local availability of the CC long bed truck at any dealerships at all. Looked like those are all special order, and I wasn't keen on waiting and on not being able to drive it before putting down money. Once they were eliminated it was down (for smaller trucks) to the Nissan and the Toyota, and the Toyota was a lot more expensive. Nissan won by default.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I do quite a bit of travel for work and thus have a lot of rental vehicles.

From my experience every GM vehicle I have driven has been crap. Even after 10k miles, the interiors are falling apart, rattles, squeaks, poor transmissions, etc. If I see Avis has assigned me a GM, I'll walk over and get something else out of the preferred upgrade area. Chrysler is not much better, but I've had good experiences with most Ford vehicles. Only bad Ford I had was an Explorer on a long, one way rental. My only gripe was I couldn't see out of it because of the window and support pillar layouts. Had to be really careful with lane changes.

I briefly thought about the GM twins when considering replacing my '06 Frontier. Sticker price and reviews turned me away. Thought the new Toyota's are ugly and too expensive, so I bought another Frontier. Don't regret it one bit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I was due for a new truck ( drove a Dodge Dakota for 17 years) i researched all mid sizes - Chevy, Tacos, and Frontiers Drove them all.. For the price and value you cannot do better than the Frontier. Chevy was much more expensive and I did not think offered that much more. Tacos drove hard. I got a 16 SV with optional pkg and had everything I wanted.. Good truck- lots of power. Highway miles are fine- City miles suck but then again... its a truck not a econo car. Frontiers been tested through and through.... I see a ton of them on the road...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Not a fan of the GM 3.6L or Toyota 3.5L

Geared too high, even in stock form they downshift at the slightest incline or head wind, two gears sometimes. Upsize the tires to match a stock Frontier Pro-4x and the fuel economy drops right off, overdrive gears become useless and you have to tromp on it to keep up with traffic.

Enter the Frontier 4.0L. You get good low-mid range torque and good peak horse power. Both transmissions are geared really well.. It just works.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At what miles did that issue occur with your 2010?

The thing I would say about the trans is... Get the manual. I got the auto, and while its better than most new automatics, its still an auto with a computer controlled mind. I think the frontier would be just about perfect if I had gotten the 6-speed. I will say the Frontiers auto is light years better in feel over the new Tacoma.
About 1000 miles, & no can go a manual, the wife can't drive one. If only the Fronty had a better DIC. (driver information center)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Traded my Colorado for the Frontier. I'll never go back!! Colorado was a code throwing pos.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
About 1000 miles, & no can go a manual, the wife can't drive one. If only the Fronty had a better DIC. (driver information center)
What don't you get that you want?

Personally I find touchscreens and even screens in vehicles to not be terribly good. Distracts the driver from the road because they require using the sense of sight to operate them, a sense which should be firmly committed to ongoings outside of the vehicle. Touchscreens are the worst though because you can't operate them without looking away from the road, they have no tactile feedback on the fingers so there's no way of knowing where you're touching without looking. This is awful.

/end rant

·
Registered
342 Posts
lol I think I bookmarked your thread from the Colorado forums a while back to keep for reference:
16 Owners, would you buy again? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

I think it's one of the things that had me considering the Chevy Colorado from time to time.

Good to hear an update.

Kind of funny but trading in my Frontier has been on my mind recently. Not sure how much longer this one will last me and would want to trade it in while I can still get something for it.

After thinking about it I decided that even though it's not perfect, the Frontier crew cab with a six foot bed would be my top choice. It's just the right size for what I need and supposedly all of the kinks have been worked out since 2012 or so? I was planning to surf the forum this weekend to see if there are any common issues from 2012 and on. From what I can recall there really hasn't been any. Maybe a passenger rattle that some people mentioning being common, which I haven't had with mine. Then other than it seemed like random things here and there. I don't really lurk this forum as much as I used to.

The next choice would maybe be a new Ridgeline. I can probably live with a five foot bed as I've gotten by with one this long. But I have concerns with the bed depth because the bed depth for the Frontier barely makes it for me sometimes. Where it looks like the Ridgeline's is 16.75 inches compared to the Tacoma's 19 inches. I was planning to measure the Frontier's tonight. If it happens to be closer to the Ridgeline's, I might put the Ridgeline as my top choice due to it's bigger rear seats. But think the Frontier is probably closer to the Tacoma's specs.

Then after that have considered the Colorado on and off. I'd be more confident if they settled on a platform and worked out the kinks for it. For example last year I think they changed the transmission and then this year put in cylinder deactivation? Or something like that. They keep changing and adding things. Which might be a good thing in some ways. But don't really want to be a guinea pig.

Full sizes are over kill for what I need. And thought about moving away from a pick up but don't want to give up an open bed.

Other than the uncomfortable back seats of the crew cab, my main question and issue about the Frontier is the build quality. But based on reports on how the newer models should be solid, I think I might be willing to give the Frontier another try the next time around.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
my wife is about 5'6" tall and doesn't have any issue with the rear seat room on ours. It's also barely enough for a rear-facing infant carseat in the middle with both front seats positioned where my 6'1" frame is comfortable.

·
Registered
333 Posts

Personally I find touchscreens and even screens in vehicles to not be terribly good. Distracts the driver from the road because they require using the sense of sight to operate them, a sense which should be firmly committed to ongoings outside of the vehicle. Touchscreens are the worst though because you can't operate them without looking away from the road, they have no tactile feedback on the fingers so there's no way of knowing where you're touching without looking. This is awful.

/end rant
Touch screens are thorough crap designed to increase accidents and fatalities on the road....Its the worst thing to happen to the auto industry, its absolutly dangerous in every regard...I have a 2016 acura tsx tech, lots of fancy dangerous crap only accessible by touch screen..

You cannot feel a knob on the touch screen it needs your full attention, a dangerous distraction no different then texting and driving...I hate It

Ok hows this scenario....You go to hit a touch screen button but hit a bump in the road so you hit another button by mistake...your up **** creek now cause your brain is telling you to dive deep into that radio and correct whatever the hell you hit...I mean I hate to be driving next to a old lady hitting wrong buttons in her new mercedes

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Touch screens are thorough crap designed to increase accidents and fatalities on the road....Its the worst thing to happen to the auto industry, its absolutly dangerous in every regard...I have a 2016 acura tsx tech, lots of fancy dangerous crap only accessible by touch screen..

You cannot feel a knob on the touch screen it needs your full attention, a dangerous distraction no different then texting and driving...I hate It

Ok hows this scenario....You go to hit a touch screen button but hit a bump in the road so you hit another button by mistake...your up **** creek now cause your brain is telling you to dive deep into that radio and correct whatever the hell you hit...I mean I hate to be driving next to a old lady hitting wrong buttons in her new mercedes
Not talking about a touch screen, I'm referring to the center of the dash information screen. It would just be nice to have one as nice as my Colorado, it's pretty cool & informative.

/end rant
Not talking about a touch screen, I'm referring to the center of the dash information screen. It would just be nice to have one as nice as my Colorado, it's pretty cool & informative.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Found a 2016 PRO-4X that looks to be worth the money. If I can get the Colorado sold, I'm hoping to be able to re-join the fold. Wish me luck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts