Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody having a problem with axle wrap? My pro 4x seems to get alot of it I was thinking of putting a traction bar on it to see if it stops

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
My 06 had wheel hop issues after I started stacking on performance mods. I ended up building my own traction bars because @ the time no one was producing them, or better yet building them how I wanted them.

I have ZERO wheel hop. Even in loose sand, I will Not get wheel hop. On pavement or anywhere else. My traction bars solved that issue entirely.

But at the time, my stock springs we going into the FLAT mode. Mind you this was @ around 50k Miles. Im currently @ 107k. The rear springs are F**ked. Though I know it wasn't the traction bars that caused this.

I think I have a thread here about the bars I built, if not I can dig up pix.

enjoy

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
i've started getting a bit of hop in the last 40k miles or so as my stock springs went flat (due to shackle lift).

I'm hoping that this summer I'll replace my stock leaf springs/shackles with a better rear lift option with stock shackles.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Better springs will fix it. Try removing the shackles and see if it goes a way.

·
Registered
492 Posts
This may help some. Think they were getting them at Advance Auto for $28.00 a set. Note how it's mounted at the front part of the leaf not the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
^^ This is a quick band-aid fix but will fail over time. If you flex out the suspension at all, they will end up cracking in half. Also, they have a tendency of moving forward/backwards unless you double bolt the U-joints and do some other tricks.

Just putting this out there, since you have spent so much on your truck already, why not convert to a spring under axle set-up. This will help limit the wrap due to the increased arch and it gives you the oppertunity to eliminate any kind of lift shackle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Axle wrap is a tough one. It is a perpetual issue in the Jeep community still running leaves.

First off, any high hp vehicle running spring-over will wrap. That's just the way it is.

Some manufacturers have packs designed to minimize this. Some people have made their own anti-wrap packs. The basic idea is to add an additional full military wrap spring that has had its front cut off. This reduces wrap without increasing the rate of the pack.

Traction bars are a great solution. Again, several manufacturers make semi-custom weld on unit. The deal is you weld onto the axle housing and then again to the frame. Simple. You should be able to adapt something.

The issue with traction or more accurately anti-wrap bars is that they will limit articulation to one degree or another. The bar forces the axle to follow a path that is not the spring's natural path. Some of the aftermarket bars use a shackle on the frame end to address this. This is more likely to be an issue on a vehicle like a Jeep, where real articulation is needed, so not sure how relevant this is to the Frontier side of the house.

As for going to spring-under. That will reduce wrap, but creates its own set of problems. To keep the same ride height you will need to go to a pack with a significant arch. This will greatly reduce both articulation and ride comfort.

For what its worth...

-Z

·
Registered
4,593 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts