Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still doing research and trying to decide if I want to make the jump from my Tacoma Prerunner to a Frontier 4x4. I'm considering both the 6-speed manual and the 5-speed auto in the Frontier and I am aware that one will get me the M226 D44 variant and the other will get the C200. I also understand that axle seal leaks are a pretty common problem in these trucks, so I was wondering if one axle was more susceptible to failed seals than the other?

If I go through with the purchase, I plan on doing the vent mod in short order.

·
Super Moderator
11,264 Posts
Question should be which trans do you prefer? Most likely I'm buying my 5th Frontier and not by choice having to get an auto trans because Nissan won't build a long bed crew cab anymore. That alone takes all the excitement out of buying a new truck. I replaced my seals at about 114,000 miles and don't think it was unreasonable but I've towed a trailer to Florida and back many times so it could have contributed to the failure, the vent was replaced as well for $12. From reading here, one over the other doesn't appear to have an advantage.
Buy what you like and enjoy the ride.

Clint

·
Registered
925 Posts
There isn't a difference between the two axles as far as the axles leaking. Seems as long as the breather doesn't build pressure, you shouldn't have a problem with the axle seals. Good luck with the purchase. I had an 08 Frontier and now own a 2015.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Go with the M226. My C200K has performed very well off road and on road, through deep water with no breather extensions...
But the aftermarket support sucks. Ring and pinion gears are expensive and top out at 4.1 and the only locker options are a powertrax grenade or a very expensive ARB.

The M226 had cheaper and more abundant gearing options and many locker options from detriot to ARB etc.....

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just recently bought my 2016 Pro-4X manual with the M226 rear axle. Did a lot of research on here, and asked a lot of the regulars about the vent mod which is highly popular to help prevent the overpressure condition which results in axle seal leaks. I was worried the more I got into reading about that as my 1995 nissan hardbody truck never had ANY issues of any kind after nearly 200,000 miles. Basically what I took away from it was, the harder you treat your truck, the more likely you're going to have to deal with the axle seals. You could use it as a daily driver and probably not ever have anything go wrong with them, but most folks on these forums are very into the offroading and modding bit. Obviously. Hence they tend to treat their fronty's a bit more harshly so they will be the ones who will see the axle seals leak more regularly. A lot has to do with how you treat the vehicle, and that goes for ANY vehicle you buy and own. You can drive it into the dirt and it doesn't matter how well it was made, you'll still run the wheels off of it prematurely, or you can drive it very conservatively and take care of it, and even a Ford might last you a good number of years.

That being said, it's rather notorious and PRG actually has the vent mod kit that they sell which is not a difficult modification to do. So it's been a well enough known issue that one of the major aftermarket companies has actually got a product to help deal with and prevent it. Simply put, if you go offroading like nuts and submerge that rear axle completely to the point water can enter the diff, well what would you expect to happen to it? As far as I know, I've never submerged much of anything on my old hardbody, short of getting it stuck in the beach sand up to it's frame a few times, and it's never had any problems whatsoever with these sort of things.

Also, I'm not sure the M226 comes based on your choice of transmission. I know you automatically get that axle if you have the Pro-4x version, but for some reason, most Pro-4x's are automatics since Nissan detests it's manuals these days. Either way, if you get that trim to have the auto locker built in, you're getting the Dana 44 rear end. Not so sure how it works with the LE or SV versions with 4x4, or even 4X2 versions.

·
Super Moderator
11,264 Posts
Why won't Nissan build what we want? My current long bed crew cab is a 6 speed but the idiots at Nissan won't let us factory order it that way anymore. I can maybe see it not as a stock build but if I want it custom ordered as a long bed why would they say no. Now I will buying my 5th frontier but very very bothered it will have to be an automatic as I can't use a short bed or I'd need to pull my trailer all the time, which I left in Florida in the garage.

Clint

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
OP: IFF you want a 6-sp...find one OR order one. They are getting rarer and rarer.

Had I waited for a '16...I would have been SOL due to Nissan no longer making a KC V6 w/ 6-sp. I NEED a 6' bed, period.

Auto Emergency Braking safety systems may very well make manual transmissions obsolete in the next 6+ years as auto makers are voluntarily pledging to make this technology standard equipment by 2022 for vehicles weighing less than 8501 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
11,264 Posts
Auto braking systems make drivers MORE DANGEROUS as they rely on technology to cover their shortcomings. Actually driving a stick and being more engaged makes you more attentive and safer.

Clint

·
Registered
260 Posts
Auto braking systems make drivers MORE DANGEROUS as they rely on technology to cover their shortcomings. Actually driving a stick and being more engaged makes you more attentive and safer.

Clint
They don't care about that. I've heard too many comments from the youngsters here on campus who think me driving a manual transmission is dangerous as they believe you spend all your time and concentration trying to figure out what gear to be in, and not on the road. This is coming from the one hand generation that automatically stops breathing if they don't have their cell phone in the other hand at all times.

The sad reality is not so much public perception, it's the reality that as technology advances, the end goal of car manufacturers is to take people completely out of the equation in the next 50 years. Ever see the Tom Cruise movie "Minority Report" ? Nobody was driving any vehicles. It was basically like being in a big DisneyWorld ride. That's the ultimate direction that we are heading, and most of the lemmings are marching along thinking its great that their car can now parallel park for them, or auto brake before they rear end someone for not paying attention. The sad fact is, they have shitty driving skills, and they are all completely happy to turn over such mundane tasks as driving, to a computer. Luckily for me, I probably won't be alive by the point they fully take us away from the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
11,264 Posts
"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket"?

Clint

1 - 10 of 10 Posts