Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back ground:
2003 XE 4x4. Axle code CA46. C200 rear.

I found a reasonable deal on an ARB locker. Problem is I can't figure out which axle I have. Is it 29 spline or 31 spline?

I asked ARB and they told me to ask a dealership. I went in with my vin, etc and the dealer couldn't answer the question either. They said I'd have to take it apart and count the splines to be certain.

Is there any way to answer this question without taking rear end apart?

If I do take it apart what should I expect? Can you see and count the spline after you remove the diff cover or is there more to it?

Help and advice appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
this;
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/hardbody-1st-gen-axle-info-37358/
says:

"CA46 - found on Hardbodies and 4 banger Frontiers - C200 rear / R180 front, 4.625:1 gears

CA45 - found in 2003+ Frontier 4x4's. This is a C200/R180 combination with a new gear ratio - 4.5something:1 The C200 was upgraded to 31 splines on this model from the previous 29 spline unit."

are you sure thats the right axle code? the above information suggests that you have a 29 spline unit.
however- there is a contradiction: you say you have the ca46, but a 4x4- nissan didn't make an '01+ year model 4cyl 4x4.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RB,
Yep. That is the source of my confusion. I have a '03 v6 automatic 4x4. The axle code is clearly CA46. According to ARB's web site C200 axles from '02 up were 31 spline. So my truck, ARB, and the axle info sticky on this web site all disagree.

I was kinda hoping I was not the only 2003 on the planet with a CA46 and that somebody might be able to advise.

Or that there is some easy way to actually count the splines...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone advise on the easiest way to see and count the splines? At the wheel end or do I need to open the diff? Anybody?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Hmm. That sure is odd.

You are probably going to have to just take it apart. The splines are on the ends of the axle shafts where they meet up with the center unit. If you dont know what you're doing rear ends can be very confusing. I doubt you will be able to see the splines just by removing the cover. so maybe it would be best to take it to a shop, tell them all you need to do is find out what the spline count is and see how much they will charge you.

Thats probably all the advice I can give you. I'm not familiar with the C200. Sorry

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I know on an H233b you can easily pull an axle out. basiclly you put the axle on a jack stand, take the wheel off, disconnect the brake hose and park brake linkage (one pin) then remove the four nuts that hold the flange on then knock the whole thing off the housing. The axle comes with it and you can count the splines. I did this very thing to be doubly sure when I did my ARB. Not sure but it may work on the C200.

·
Registered
5 Posts
U are not the only 1 on the planet...I have an 03 4x4 3.3 xe & I have spent over a month trying 2 find a Ring & Pinon...My axel code is CA46...I had 1 ordered in from Youkon & it didn't match up...even thru a vin search every1 tells me that they weren't made with a 31 spline c200 4.625 ratio

·
Registered
5 Posts
My question is whether or not a Ring & Pinon out of a pre 2000 pathfinder or Xterra with a HG46 4.625 ratio will work?????

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
My question is whether or not a Ring & Pinon out of a pre 2000 pathfinder or Xterra with a HG46 4.625 ratio will work?????
HG46 has an h233b rear. The ring and pinion for that wont work in a c200.

If I were you I would swap the whole axle with an h233b.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update...Just as I was preparing to do an axel swap I came across a 2004 Frontier just by chance after scouring all junk yards in the area & I couldn't believe it when the door code said Ca46... luckily it had a good ring & pion...So only advice I have for any1 that has a 2003 With this type axle is that every parts store every junk yard will tell U that the ca46 wasn't offered but I can tell U 4 sure it was..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update...Just as I was preparing to do an axel swap I came across a 2004 Frontier just by chance after scouring all junk yards in the area & I couldn't believe it when the door code said Ca46... luckily it had a good ring & pion...So only advice I have for any1 that has a 2003 With this type axle is that every parts store every junk yard will tell U that the ca46 wasn't offered but I can tell U 4 sure it was..
I have one as well, looking for a new rear end, or just the ring and pinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts