Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off, I'll just say that I know how an axle works and basic knowledge of gears. I am a much better motor mechanic than running gear mechanic, so I need some help with this one.

I am working on a titan swap, and I am going to replace the rear end with a titan m226. I found one with 3.37's and an E-locker, but the carrier is shot. I want to keep it as a lockable axle, but I don't know what exactly I need to buy to make it operational again. I have found a couple of after-market lockers out there, but not quite sure what all I need.

If somebody out there (Roastbeef, Mike, Penski....) would help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The carrier is the center part of the diff that houses the spiders and the ring bolts to. If that is shot, then I would imagine the diff is considered blown. They probably sheared a spider and it got chewed up in the ring/pinion.

The only thing you can do is replace the locker with an ARB or a TT. I am not sure the diff is even worth anything if you have to do that. My local will sell a blown diff for 75 from a Titan and 50 from a Frontier.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What about the spartan locker, will that work?

Also, I would be replacing the ring and pinion anyway and had planned to do a replacement locker. I just need to know what I need to get it going again.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
To be bulletproof, the ARB is the way to go. I know the spartan uses the oem carrier and just replaces the spiders/side gears so I am not sure if your carrier is damaged, if it can be used again.

If you are re-gearing then you want to look for a blown Titan diff. Elocker or not, it doesn't matter. You should probably replace both axle seals and bearings when you have it apart. I think you have to do the pinion seal since you are replacing it. Then you might as well look into a diff cover that fits your wheeling needs. Then debate if RTV is good enough to seal the cover or if you need a re-usable gasket.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
you couldnt use a spartan locker on a m226 that has an e-locker , you need an open diff for that

if you buy the gears buy the master install kit , that should have everything you need to re-build the diff
if your goin the ARB route it comes with new carrier bearings

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
What do you want a M226 out of a Titan? You would have to move the shock mounts.

What do you mean by carrier?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The axle that I found with the blown carrier is a Titan axle. I already have an M205 sitting in my garage ready for a gear swap, and I just need the Titan M226. The plan was to get a titan M226 that locked, replace the gears and throw it under my frontier. I believe that the spider gears are the part of the carrier that is damaged.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you couldnt use a spartan locker on a m226 that has an e-locker , you need an open diff for that

if you buy the gears buy the master install kit , that should have everything you need to re-build the diff
if your goin the ARB route it comes with new carrier bearings
I saw the spartan locker on pirate4x4 and have read a few reviews that it works well. There are 2 titan axles at the local yard, one that is in running condition with 3.35's (or whatever the stock ratio close to that is) that is NON locking. There is also one that has an E-locker but the carrier is bad. I haven't torn it apart to look at it, but the owner of the yard said it is spiders gears.

Would it be better for me to get the non-locking and install my own locker, rather than hooking it up to the wiring I have right now for an E-locker?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
If the spider gears or the carrier is damage then there is nothing you can do to fix them. There are no replacement parts for them. An ARB air locker or a truc-trac would be the way to save that axle housing.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Just putting this out there. I assume you are going to Tswap the front with UCA/LCAs along with the diffs right?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the spider gears or the carrier is damage then there is nothing you can do to fix them. There are no replacement parts for them. An ARB air locker or a truc-trac would be the way to save that axle housing.
The tru-trac is an LSD, not a locker. Correct?

What would be your recommendation, get the housing and do an ARB or TT. Or get the open diff and use a spartan?

Just putting this out there. I assume you are going to Tswap the front with UCA/LCAs along with the diffs right?
Yes. I have all of the front end parts, I want full width in the rear as well.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, after a lot of reading and research I have decided to spend the extra money and get the ARB. Would it be better to buy the axle that is in running condition that is an open diff, or the one that has an E-locker that has a bad carrier? The one with bad carrier is about 1 quarter of the cost of the operational one.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
So, after a lot of reading and research I have decided to spend the extra money and get the ARB. Would it be better to buy the axle that is in running condition that is an open diff, or the one that has an E-locker that has a bad carrier? The one with bad carrier is about 1 quarter of the cost of the operational one.
As long as the housing is alright, the blown carrier is the best option for what you want. Just make sure you pull the cover and to make sure there is no odd issues inside the diff. You may also have to grind out some of the e-locker stuff to fit the ARB but that shouldn't be an issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts