Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving down the hightway, with cruise locked at 120km/h. Reset trip computer. Avg speed calculates to be 114km/h, after a while, and stays there for next 40km where I stopped watching.

I tried another time with cruise at 110km/h, and it averaget o be about 106km/h.

Makes me wonder what else is off.

Anyone else have this issue?

2015 Frontier P4x.

·
Registered
730 Posts
So what is off, the speedometer or the trip computer? I'm guessing that neither is all that accurate. Speedometers typically read fast.

Vic

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think trip computer but I guess I'll have to do some measurements. I assumed they would be the same.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,276 Posts
So what is off, the speedometer or the trip computer? I'm guessing that neither is all that accurate. Speedometers typically read fast.

Vic
Fast speedometers use up warranties quicker and devalue the truck too.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
Nissan sometimes uses one speedometer calibration for an application with multiple tire sizes. This is the case on the R51 Pathfinder in the US where it seems to be calibrated for the slightly larger diameter tires used on the Off-Road model compared to those used on the other trims. It equates to a 2 MPH difference at 60 MPH between the actual speed and the reading on the speedometer, which is slightly lower. I guess to avoid potential law suits for speeding tickets, they thought it best to err on the low side.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Use a GPS to check which is off.
You can also try an OBD2 Scanner as well.

What I found with mine is the speedometer reads a bit fast, it'll show 73 when GPS shows 70. The funny thing is, the OBD scanner will also show 70 at the same time, so the computer knows your actual speed, it's just showing the speedometer as a bit fast.

The other thing I found is that the mileage is pretty close to actual too, regardless of the high speed reading. That's according to GPS distance, and also the mileage markers on the highway.

Nissan isn't the only car I've noticed this on either. I had a Ford Fusion prior to the Frontier that was pretty similar. I also drive a Ford Escape for my work vehicle, and it reads a bit fast. My wife's Kia on the other hand reads dead on.

I don't know how true it is, but I read once that auto makers were allowed a 4% difference in actual speed vs reported speed, but that was on the internet, so who knows.

I also have read on the internet that a specific make and model of car that was known to read fast and accumulate miles faster because of it was taken to court for warranty issues. The car company lost and had to warrant the vehicles an additional amount, seems like about 2000 miles extra. That too was on the internet, so you know, take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Fast speedometers use up warranties quicker and devalue the truck too.

Clint
Well, except that speedometer and odometer aren't always off by the same amount. At least that is common on some vehicles. I'm not OCD enough to worry about it on the Frontier.

Vic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts