Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I have a 2013 QC with the SV VT truck package and the Aux port is on the stereo front but I was wondering if anyone has ever found an additional Aux port in their center console where the USB port is (meaning I guess, is there an extra aux port plug on the back of the radio)? I'm trying to add a BT adapter that will allow me to play back video and stuff on my android tablet through the head unit, and I found one that is USB powered and has an Aux input line so I was trying to figure out if my truck has the capability to add an extra Aux port next to the USB port in the center console , so I can just hide the wires in the center console.

Here is an Image of my head unit so as to avoid confusion as to which one...

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,833 Posts
Nicoclub has downloadable factory service manuals in PDF for basically all years, you might be able to find the pinout for the radio's wiring harness(es) to see if there's one identified.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking for if someone who has taken one out to replace it with an aftermarket head unit might know if there might also be an actual plug on the back of the head unit I could plug into and not part of the wiring harness, per say...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I could be wrong but I would be surprised if there were a conventional 1/8" / 3.5mm stereo phone jack on the back. There's no common standard for securing such a jack, they're intentionally modular for ease of plugging and unplugging, and modern OEM automotive connectors have locking tabs or other means of retaining the connection for vibration.

On my '15, the aux port is not located on the front of the stereo, it's in the center console. My radio is basically the successor to yours, has a screen and various buttons on the sides and six buttons across the bottom, but no longer a jack on the face of the radio itself. The connection for mine is integrated into one of the big connectors along with many other functions.

·
Premium Member
6,674 Posts
Hey folks, I have a 2013 QC with the SV VT truck package and the Aux port is on the stereo front but I was wondering if anyone has ever found an additional Aux port in their center console where the USB port is (meaning I guess, is there an extra aux port plug on the back of the radio)? I'm trying to add a BT adapter that will allow me to play back video and stuff on my android tablet through the head unit, and I found one that is USB powered and has an Aux input line so I was trying to figure out if my truck has the capability to add an extra Aux port next to the USB port in the center console , so I can just hide the wires in the center console.
I could be wrong but I would be surprised if there were a conventional 1/8" / 3.5mm stereo phone jack on the back. There's no common standard for securing such a jack, they're intentionally modular for ease of plugging and unplugging, and modern OEM automotive connectors have locking tabs or other means of retaining the connection for vibration.

On my '15, the aux port is not located on the front of the stereo, it's in the center console. My radio is basically the successor to yours, has a screen and various buttons on the sides and six buttons across the bottom, but no longer a jack on the face of the radio itself. The connection for mine is integrated into one of the big connectors along with many other functions.
I had the same head unit in my 2014... and sorry bud, but the AUX-IN on the face of your OEM head unit is all you get. There is no extra 3.5mm plug on the back.

Also, if you think about it - there wouldn't be anyways, nor would there be a pin-out in the harness for one - because the AUX-IN jack is already integrated into the head unit. There's no logical reason or need to route the 3.5mm connection out then back in.

HOWEVER - my center console has a USB audio port. if you have the USB port in the center console of your 2013 (and it can also do audio) then you might be able to use a simple 3.5mm male-to-USB male adaptor cable for about $7.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The adpater for BT I was going to use is powered by USB so trying to do that and use a USB to 3.5 adapter probably would mean pulling another cable out of somewhere. That being said for now I am just going to mount my tablet with magnets and 3m pressure tape and I already have a little Aukey adapter I'll test things out with. I think I'll just use this for a little but and down the road a little further I'm just going to swap over to an Android head unit once I found one that checks all the details off my wish list.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They do for sure but the reason I have been on the fence for so long is it's gamble as to how good these android units are as well.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
At least by all appearances swapping the stereo isn't too complicated on these trucks. My wife's infotainment system is integrated into the body control module and serves as the control panel for configuring all of the vehicle's settings like the autoengagement of the parking brake, power door lock automatic features, lighting delay after vehicle shutoff and dimming characteristics, even things like if the fog light on a given side illuminates as a cornering light or not.

The Frontier's radio doesn't do any of that and this is probably a good thing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I third the idea of getting a new aftermarket HU. They have tons of features and more power. Throw a double din with a nice screen in there.

·
Premium Member
6,674 Posts
They do for sure but the reason I have been on the fence for so long is it's gamble as to how good these android units are as well.
If you stick to the brand names, Android Auto works great (as far as what I've used). But if you look at all the off-brand HUs that have tons of "features" and full nav (who knows what mapping software they're using) and double-DIN for $250, you're on your own ::wink::

At least by all appearances swapping the stereo isn't too complicated on these trucks. My wife's infotainment system is integrated into the body control module and serves as the control panel for configuring all of the vehicle's settings like the autoengagement of the parking brake, power door lock automatic features, lighting delay after vehicle shutoff and dimming characteristics, even things like if the fog light on a given side illuminates as a cornering light or not.

The Frontier's radio doesn't do any of that and this is probably a good thing.
It's easy. The Frontier's audio setup is basic and simple - remember the truck had been pretty much the same since 2005, before all the OEM integration. Even the more recent Frontier head units with a few more features are just "added-on".

I third the idea of getting a new aftermarket HU. They have tons of features and more power. Throw a double din with a nice screen in there.
Anyone who wants decent sound should change the source first. it all starts from the source ::smile::

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been looking at the Seicane Android units. They seem to have the most current and updated units, plus if you call and work with them directly they generally provide all the connectors to make it drop in ready on most cars, but I don't think the Frontier is quite covered right now. It's usually a matter of what the include in the box but some of the other head units they do offer an OEM like finish and usually have wiring harnesses, antenna and Aux adapters, integrated (and customizable to work with the steering wheel controls), and a bezel that is ready to go in out of the box. I think they have Navara setups but from what I can tell it's a completely different shaped console and everything :eek:(

https://www.seicane.com/in-dash-car-dvd-gps/2-din-double-din-car-radio-gps

This fellow on Youtube did one from them in his AMG SL55 and I know he does a lot of budget stuff but if it starts to give him issues he'll report back about it as well...

·
Premium Member
6,674 Posts
NOT THAT I WANT TO DISCOURAGE YOU OR ANYTHING

...sent a quick message to one of our overseas vendors at work. Asked if they have heard of "Seicane head units" and within minutes they replied to me... turns out the full name of the company that makes those head units is "Shenzhen Seicane Electronics Co., Ltd.", based in Guangdong, mainland China.

He told me a lot of other things about that brand. I won't elaborate, I'll just say to a fellow CF member:

"you get what you pay for"

=X

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been on the fence for about 8 months and I keep just dealing with what I have waiting for reviews that are more than a couple days after installation. I figure I might have my Jimmy finished and running before I make up my mind about installing it on the Frontier, lol.

·
Registered
189 Posts
On my 06 stocker- I had nothing for an input. In 2015 I added a Pioneer double din DVD to mine. It did not have Nav- or Android Auto, but I wanted BT at least to use the phone(I didn't know much about streaming then), and I wanted USB for music on stick. I bought a Pioneer AVH-X4800BS right after they released them- for like $380. As good as it sounded- i was even better once I swapped out junk stock speaker for cheap Pioneer speakers. It was the best move I made with the Fronty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts