Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question to see if others have the same experience...

I have been a bit disappointed with the performance of the Transmission so far since the acceleration often seems more sluggish than I would like. I assume this is because it is trying to shift as early as possible to increase fuel economy. I often notice that it is already in 7th gear when just driving on city streets, and the RPMs are normally very low (1500).

I tried the Manual Shift mode this week, and what a difference. Fairly sure I understand how this works and you are really only setting the 'max' gear, and it still shifts for you. If I try setting a high gear like 7th, the driving experience is completely different. The shifts seem much later, and the accelaration is vastly improved. I would have thought the programmed shift points would be exactly the same, but it seems that is not the case. This seems more like a 'Sport' mode to me.

Is this normal? Have others seen the same thing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Iv seen no issue with acceleration. If I drive normally it shift at around 3000 rpm and gives me fuel economy in the 10's. If I push the pedal down a bit more she comes to life and pulls pretty good. I haven't played with manual too much but is should be fully manual untill you start doing something that will damage the engine and will then shift

·
Registered
2020 Pro 4x 4x4 with way too many features
148 Posts
I had the same problem in my2010, 2020, and now in the 2022. It is not as bad in the new truck, but all 3 trucks, they struggled finding a "sweet spot" to settle in at city speeds of 30mph. I do exactly what you said. If I am driving around town, I keep it in 5th gear, (pesonal preference), and it settles right down. The surging irritates the hell out of me, and others never notice it. It isn't that it isn't there, it is just they aren't bothered by it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the same problem in my2010, 2020, and now in the 2022. It is not as bad in the new truck, but all 3 trucks, they struggled finding a "sweet spot" to settle in at city speeds of 30mph. I do exactly what you said. If I am driving around town, I keep it in 5th gear, (pesonal preference), and it settles right down. The surging irritates the hell out of me, and others never notice it. It isn't that it isn't there, it is just they aren't bothered by it.
Good to know it isn't just my truck. I am just a bit surprised that putting in manual and keeping in 5th gear seems to actually provide different performance from a stop or from slow speeds. I would have thought the only difference would have been at higher speeds when it would want to switch to 6th or 7th, but you have told it to only go to 5th as maximum.

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
597 Posts
When I tested the 22, I used manual mode the whole time. Modern day autos just do not suit me, shifting way too early. I traded trucks for a 6 speed simply because of this, but even my old 5 speed I operated manually much of a the time. No question I’d do the same in the 22 frontier if I bought one, or virtually any other new truck on the market. This is why I hate the push towards everything being auto. I don’t hate automatics themselves, but I don’t like when the modern ones shift due to them all being programmed to make the EPA happy. It’s across the market by now; they all do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts