Nissan Frontier Forum banner
541 - 560 of 702 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did collect most of the tranny fluid in a cup but it fell over into the dirt near by. It wasn't much though.

What would be the proper way to check the transmission fluid? I read the owners manual but it says nothing about the transmission. Like should it be in neutral?

·
Super Moderator
20,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #542 ·
I did collect most of the tranny fluid in a cup but it fell over into the dirt near by. It wasn't much though.

What would be the proper way to check the transmission fluid? I read the owners manual but it says nothing about the transmission. Like should it be in neutral?
What I did was check the fluid level before I started when it was cold. I then made sure it was at the same mark when I finished. The cooler doesn;t hold much fluid anyway. The other method is usually drive the truck and get it to operating temp and check with the engine running in Park. That would be the hot check.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First off, great thread Zero Six LE.

I'll be doing the bypass on Sunday and a drain & fill of the transmission fluid afterwards. Just curious what people's long-term experience with the bypass has been like. I live Cascadia, lovely Northwest Washington state, where it goes above 90 degrees once a year and snows twice. I don't tow anything except for the occasional cab full of mountain bikers and a bed full of gear.

Stories of how your 6 month, 1 year, 2 year bypass is holding up? I've lurked the thread for a week now and haven't found too many people reporting back with tales of success/peril/overwhelming joy/failure.

Elliott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I did the bypass about a month ago, but unfortunately, I was too late. I didn't notice anything in the small amount of fluid that came out during the procedure, however a couple weeks ago I started getting the occasional dreaded "rumble strip" shudder going from 4th to 5th gear at around 45 mph under light throttle.

Took it into the dealership, and they confirmed the cross contamination. Unfortunately, I have 105k miles on the truck, so I'm SOL with the extended warranty. I had them go ahead and flush both the radiator and transmission (w/ Amsoil), even though they didn't recommend doing either. Truck seems to be doing fine since then, but I know it's probably just a matter of time.

Has anyone saved a transmission after the cross contamination?

Bigger question...is there compatibility between different year models for the transmission? I know they are all RE5R05A, but would a tranny from a 2010 or 2011 function correctly in my 2006?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I hate to say it but, if there really was cross contamination before you bypassed and it's been in there for a month, I wouldn't expect too much more life out of your transmission.

·
Read Only
739 Posts
Check again on the warranty. I could have sworn that as part of a class action lawsuit Nissan was forced to extend warranty to 120,000 miles for this radiator/transmission problem.

Well, I did the bypass about a month ago, but unfortunately, I was too late. I didn't notice anything in the small amount of fluid that came out during the procedure, however a couple weeks ago I started getting the occasional dreaded "rumble strip" shudder going from 4th to 5th gear at around 45 mph under light throttle.

Took it into the dealership, and they confirmed the cross contamination. Unfortunately, I have 105k miles on the truck, so I'm SOL with the extended warranty. I had them go ahead and flush both the radiator and transmission (w/ Amsoil), even though they didn't recommend doing either. Truck seems to be doing fine since then, but I know it's probably just a matter of time.

Has anyone saved a transmission after the cross contamination?

Bigger question...is there compatibility between different year models for the transmission? I know they are all RE5R05A, but would a tranny from a 2010 or 2011 function correctly in my 2006?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey guys, I'm drain/filling my trans today & I'm going to go ahead & do the bypass. What size is the "TUBEJOINT"? The parts counter at the dealership is closed, so I figured I could grab this at a auto parts store or hardware store? Where do you get the vacuum caps? Parts store as well? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Hey guys, I'm drain/filling my trans today & I'm going to go ahead & do the bypass. What size is the "TUBEJOINT"? The parts counter at the dealership is closed, so I figured I could grab this at a auto parts store or hardware store? Where do you get the vacuum caps? Parts store as well? Thanks!
Don't worry about any tubejoints or vacuum caps. I'll look up the post with pictures showing how to just swap lines.

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just did this today and the drivers side trans cooler barb (now w/ vacuum cap) is leaking. Will this stop or do I need to take care of it?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
What is leaking out of it? ATF or coolant? If it is ATF then it will eventually quit, but could make a bit of a mess in the meantime so that is completely up to you. In the event that the cooler fails while you are bypassed you could also begin losing coolant which could become a serious problem and even result in engine failure in a worst case scenario, so I would probably fix it. If it is already leaking coolant then you need to fix it.

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just remember, that in the worst case, and the internal cooler has in fact failed, or only partially, its now leaking coolant out of the trans lines just removed.

So thats why after the bypass I left my cooler lines open and not capped. I blew solvent through them to clean out and dry the cooler, then left them open so I can detect when, or if, it fails.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Just remember, that in the worst case, and the internal cooler has in fact failed, or only partially, its now leaking coolant out of the trans lines just removed.

So thats why after the bypass I left my cooler lines open and not capped. I blew solvent through them to clean out and dry the cooler, then left them open so I can detect when, or if, it fails.
Unless you're driving when it happens and your truck overheats before you get out and notice it. I'd rather just close it up so that if it starts leaking the the coolant is still contained so that I don't lose much.

541 - 560 of 702 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.