Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should prolly RTFM, but decided this would be more fun.
Driving up pig trail today and I figured out that my 06 X has some form of automatic engine braking. I could lightly ride the brakes for a moment and the revs would come up like it had downshifted. However, I couldn't get it to reliably and predicatably do this. sometimes it would shift right away, sometimes it took longer.
How do you reliably and predictably activate engine braking? I think I prefer my gen 1, I can tap the OD button and downshift on my terms and start slowing or roll on the accelerator and get moving again.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I can't be sure but I believe you have to be going a certain speed and tap the brakes twice. I seem to notice when I am out on the highway coming down a hill - its a nice feature.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Mine will do it when heading down hill and I gently ride the brakes. I can pretty much force it do it when I hold the brakes for about 3-5 seconds ay about 10-20% pressure. IIRC, it either switches the valve timing to raise the rpm and cause more engine load or it actually drops a gear. My old titan use to do it all the time, it is a little less noticeable on the Fronty. It really helps when towing and going down grades, it keeps you from having to ride the brakes. Same thing on really steep hills.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use it quite regularly in my gen 1 frontier with the overdrive button. I just really couldn't figure out a good way to make the gen 2 X do it. Arkansas hills dont offer much more than 5 seconds before your on the brakes for the 10 mph corner at the bottom or transitioning back up hill.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I notice "engine braking" while cruise control is set, but absolutely nothing when it is not.

Also, the "engine braking" isn't as pronounced as my previous S10 or a light sports car. I think this deals with that the truck is heavier.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can't be sure but I believe you have to be going a certain speed and tap the brakes twice. I seem to notice when I am out on the highway coming down a hill - its a nice feature.
Does my 2005 have such a feature? Since reading this post I've tried all manner of brake tapping and shifting with my 05 and see no indication that it creates any sort of auto tranny braking of any kind. Fact is, with the 3.1 differential there is little or no tranny or engine braking of any kind unless you shift down to second on a moderate grade. Even then it's pitiful at best. Living in the hills I'm sure glad it has good brakes because nothingbut those slows this truck down on downhills. You don't feel anything going out of OD (RPMs increase by about 200) and feel what amounts to a slight bump when you shift to third and no real speed decrease. If you shift to second you feel the first sign of engine braking but it still continues to speed up down hill. :crikey:Unfortunately it's just like any small truck or car I have ever owned with an auto tranny.

I still love this truck compared to the Taco I had with a stick even though the Taco had decent engine braking and brakes lasted a lifetime. I don't expect to get more that 25K out of my front pads with the Fronty because of where I live. But, I can live with that because of the drivability and comfort of the truck. 200% improvement over the 94 TACO 4X4 I had in all other features but engine braking.

Larry:)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I believe my father in law has an 2005 Se and his does it. I think what it is the tranny just downshifts to say maybe third.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does my 2005 have such a feature? Since reading this post I've tried all manner of brake tapping and shifting with my 05 and see no indication that it creates any sort of auto tranny braking of any kind. Fact is, with the 3.1 differential there is little or no tranny or engine braking of any kind unless you shift down to second on a moderate grade. Even then it's pitiful at best. Living in the hills I'm sure glad it has good brakes because nothingbut those slows this truck down on downhills. You don't feel anything going out of OD (RPMs increase by about 200) and feel what amounts to a slight bump when you shift to third and no real speed decrease. If you shift to second you feel the first sign of engine braking but it still continues to speed up down hill. :crikey:Unfortunately it's just like any small truck or car I have ever owned with an auto tranny.

I still love this truck compared to the Taco I had with a stick even though the Taco had decent engine braking and brakes lasted a lifetime. I don't expect to get more that 25K out of my front pads with the Fronty because of where I live. But, I can live with that because of the drivability and comfort of the truck. 200% improvement over the 94 TACO 4X4 I had in all other features but engine braking.

Larry:)
find a nice long (1/2 mile or so) hill.
Like I said, I couldn't figure out how to reliably make it brake, but it would usually do it sometime during the hill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts