Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have searched & came up with a little bit of info here & there..
Here is my issue..it has happened twice in 1 week of ownership.
My truck is an 06,6cyl.automatic trans 4x4..
So 1st off my tps light is on ..
The 1st time was pulling my boat out of the ramp,I felt a small bang (service engine light comes on),truck will not shift out of 1st gear...so after reading here I can reset the ses light with the gas pedal trick,I do so..light goes off & I am on my way no more issues till today.I was cruising on the highway & what seemed like it popped out of gear & my SES light came on again...same issue as last time, truck will not shift out of 1st gear again..so I do the gas pedal trick again..Light goes out & I am on my way..
Any ideas before I bring it to the shop? Would atleast have a little idea before I get rapped..
Reason I mentioned tps light is because I thought I read here how sensitive the computers can be & maybe the tps was triggering "safe" mode in the transmission..
Thanks for your help..jp

·
Registered
338 Posts
I didnt take note of the code..will it be saved after I reset it...everything appears to be very clean..
If the ECM detected the issue again it would have a pending code. Usually when you reset them you have no stored codes. At least with the standard code readers. Dealer might have a way to check the codes after it was reset. Reason I asked is because I had battery corrosion and tripped u0101. I swear I had a little transmission hiccup too once. Dealer put in a new battery and cleaned up the terminals and so far all is well.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If you are talking about the TPMS (tire pressure sensors) they will not have anything to do with this.

I would call the dealer and ask if it will store the code. If not, wait until it happens again and go to an advanced auto, they can give you the print out of the code. Clearly something is failing every so often, my guess would be a sensor since its intermittent right now.

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
Sounds like you could have a bad shift solenoid. Make sure you don't have contamination in your transmission fluid; hopefully, you've already bypassed the radiator's trans cooler or have replaced the radiator, by now. As mentioned, get the trouble code read and go from there.

The TPMS system can sometimes throw a code due to added electronics (like USB converters for the power socket). If that's not case, often one or more of the batteries in the sensors can get weak or die; they typically last about 6-7 years, give or take. You can get the TPMS codes by turning the key to "on" and install a ground wire to the TPMS diagnostic connector, which is a 2-pin/1-wire connector near the OBD II connector. The TPMS warning lamp will flash 2-digit codes. The problem is if there is a particular wheel sensor that has failed, it may not be in the correct position IF the tires have been rotated since the last time the sensors were registered. For example, if the sensors were rotated and then at a later time the wheels were rotated front to bag, a triggered left-front sensor code will now refer to the left-rear wheel if the sensors were not re-registered at the time of the rotation. As far as replacement sensors, I've been using Dorman Direct-fit sensors from Rockauto.com. They are half of the price of the Nissan sensors and have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like you could have a bad shift solenoid. Make sure you don't have contamination in your transmission fluid; hopefully, you've already bypassed the radiator's trans cooler or have replaced the radiator, by now. As mentioned, get the trouble code read and go from there.

The TPMS system can sometimes throw a code due to added electronics (like USB converters for the power socket). If that's not case, often one or more of the batteries in the sensors can get weak or die; they typically last about 6-7 years, give or take. You can get the TPMS codes by turning the key to "on" and install a ground wire to the TPMS diagnostic connector, which is a 2-pin/1-wire connector near the OBD II connector. The TPMS warning lamp will flash 2-digit codes. The problem is if there is a particular wheel sensor that has failed, it may not be in the correct position IF the tires have been rotated since the last time the sensors were registered. For example, if the sensors were rotated and then at a later time the wheels were rotated front to bag, a triggered left-front sensor code will now refer to the left-rear wheel if the sensors were not re-registered at the time of the rotation. As far as replacement sensors, I've been using Dorman Direct-fit sensors from Rockauto.com. They are half of the price of the Nissan sensors and have a lifetime warranty.
Thank you..I know the problems with the tpms..someone removed a sensor & used a regular valve stem @ some point in time..
So I am going to try & have it fixed tomorrow..so are you saying, I will have to register the valves in order for it to work properly??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like you could have a bad shift solenoid. Make sure you don't have contamination in your transmission fluid; hopefully, you've already bypassed the radiator's trans cooler or have replaced the radiator, by now. As mentioned, get the trouble code read and go
Thats exactly what I have ..now I am worried??
Uggghh
What now.??
Thank you very much..

·
Registered
397 Posts
The more & more I read,sounds like I am a victim of a shitty cooling system..15 day old truck..sucks.
Confused: Is your truck a 2006 that is 15 days new to you or is it a 2017 that is a "15 day old truck" (makes a big difference here)?

Quick question ..
Would I show signs of the milky substance on my tranny dipstick??
It appears to be very clean...
If your transmission dipstick is clean, maybe the prior owner already took care of the transmission issue on your particular truck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Confused: Is your truck a 2006 that is 15 days new to you or is it a 2017 that is a "15 day old truck" (makes a big difference here)?

If your transmission dipstick is clean, maybe the prior owner already took care of the transmission issue on your particular truck!
It is an 2006 that is only new to me..

Just open your radiator cap, if you see a strawberry milkshake color then no good.
Its more of a light coffee color

·
Registered
397 Posts
Are you able to check with the original owner to see if they did the transmission/rad mod to it?

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Its more of a light coffee color
That would have me worried.... it MAY only be comming due for a coolant change, or it may be overdue...

It all looks original..does not appear to be any modifications..
if they replaced the radiator with OEM from dealer it would look 'original' unless you are using grime/dirt as indicator...
From TitanTalk ... titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/143858-p1774.html could just be that solenoid, or an associated, or (small possibility, suggested by my mechanic) old trans fluid.

I'd have a reputable trans shop check it. I'd also have all the fluids checked, and the radiator pressure-checked and close look at if the radiator looks to be original. If it is, replace it.you don't want to risk a bad trans over a $200 radiator...

Did you buy the truck from a used dealer or private sale? If dealer you should be able to go back to them (state lemon law?) (or at lease 30day warranty?) and get them to fix/help with cost of (potential) repair...
COULD also be dirty electrical connector for the throttle position sensor or possibly even vehicle speed sensor (as that plug is outside the trans) The TPS & VSS plugs can be unplugged, sprayed with a electrical contact cleaner and plugged back up.
Tis is the bad side to computer controlled efficiency. If its not kept clean and maintained it can all go bad in a big way

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
That would have me worried.... it MAY only be comming due for a coolant change, or it may be overdue...

if they replaced the radiator with OEM from dealer it would look 'original' unless you are using grime/dirt as indicator...
From TitanTalk ... titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/143858-p1774.html could just be that solenoid, or an associated, or (small possibility, suggested by my mechanic) old trans fluid.

I'd have a reputable trans shop check it. I'd also have all the fluids checked, and the radiator pressure-checked and close look at if the radiator looks to be original. If it is, replace it.you don't want to risk a bad trans over a $200 radiator...

Did you buy the truck from a used dealer or private sale? If dealer you should be able to go back to them (state lemon law?) (or at lease 30day warranty?) and get them to fix/help with cost of (potential) repair...
COULD also be dirty electrical connector for the throttle position sensor or possibly even vehicle speed sensor (as that plug is outside the trans) The TPS & VSS plugs can be unplugged, sprayed with a electrical contact cleaner and plugged back up.
Tis is the bad side to computer controlled efficiency. If its not kept clean and maintained it can all go bad in a big way
Thank you.

Im worried enough already..lol..its going into the mechanic tomorrow ..
Im definitely having the Radiator swapped out for the new Oem 1
Transmission seams to be shifting fine
The linked you posted is exactly what happened to me so far 3 times, untill I reset the code,then she would drive fine..
Im crossing my fingers my transmission isn't affected & its just a selenoid..
Yes I did buy from a used car dealer..but unfortunately ny state used car lemon law only covers vehicles under 100,000 miles & I have 112,000...
What did they do to fix the issue with the Radiator...& do I need to bypass the trans lines too??
Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
11,254 Posts
I forget now but do remember Nissan extended the warranty on this transmission issue when it became a widespread public problem.
Does the truck ever feel like you're driving on rumble strips? That's when you know the trans is on its way out.
Best of luck to you, hope it's not as bad as you're fearing.

Clint

1 - 20 of 27 Posts