Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 pro4x frontier and was wondering if anyone else experiences weird shifts. Upshifts to soon under load on hills and won't downshift unless you put your foot into it and then it upshifts almost immediately after .

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 2016 pro4x frontier and was wondering if anyone else experiences weird shifts. Upshifts to soon under load on hills and won't downshift unless you put your foot into it and then it upshifts almost immediately after .
Lol funny thing is with my 6 speed I've never had to worry about that. ? if your gonna get an automatic might as well get a Honda civic.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My 16 Pro 4x auto shifts just fine. I have not experience what you are experience Frontier 47.

Have you checked the fluid level? If you are concerned, take it to a dealer and have them check it out. Take the tech for a test drive.
One of the reasons I bought a Nissan over a Toyota was the transmission. The Frontier is so much better than the 3G Tacoma auto. The Pro 4x reminds me a lot of my 06 Tacoma.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice . I have been on a test drive with dealer and they say everything is normal and the tranny takes some time to get used to my driving pattern .I'm a bit skeptacle about that answer since a tranny should shift according to load and rpm , not by the tcm learning my habits . My friend who's a tech thinks they are concerned about the poor fuel economy with the 4litre so it is trying to get into the highest gear as soon as possible. I would rather have higher revs and more performance.All I know is I had a 2003 supercharged xterra I bought brand new and it was smoother to drive . I will keep on them while still under warranty.Thanks again .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the idea that this gereration of frontier has been around since 2005. Tacoma is over rated and over priced .

·
Registered
656 Posts
I like the idea that this gereration of frontier has been around since 2005. Tacoma is over rated and over priced .
I agree the Tacoma is overpriced as well as the GMC twins. I also don't like that both got a bit longer and wider.

I drive from Payson, AZ to the valley (Phoenix Area) about six times a year. The only thing I noticed with the Frontier is on the steeper grades it downshifts from 5 to 4 or 3. Once I have crested the grade and the transmission will go back up to 5th. I rarely get a lot of gear hunting with this transmission, though it does seem to want to go to the higher gear as soon as it can, especially in the flats.

On some long grades that vary in steepness, I tend to disconnect the OD. Basically the truck then runs in 4th gear up the grade and rarely has to downshift to 3rd. The downshift to 3rd happens if I am wanting to pass a slower vehicle on a grade.

If you have another Nissan dealer in your area, you can always go to them for a second opinion. I was told the same thing by a Service Manager that the truck takes a bit to "learn your driving habits". Toyota told me the same thing when I had my 06 Tacoma. People have posted the same comment on the Tacoma forums.

Not sure if it is true, but some say disconnecting the battery overnight (couple of hours?) will reset the "learning". I have not done that on the Frontier. So cannot confirm.

I knew going in the Frontier is basically the same as in 2005. Nissan correct a few of the problems in cross contamination with radiator and transmission, and timing chain issue. The mpg is not the greatest, but I am not complaining.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
It's a combination of adaptive TCM (learning tcm) and aggressive MPG goals. I usually switch off OD unless I get onto the highway. If I'm not overly aggressive I can tip in and get 4th to unlock teh TC which lets her accel a bit easier, but if I'm driving aggressive I'll usually just pop it down to 3rd. FYI trans can hold 3rd till about 80mph. If you go bigger on tires for offroad and chose to regear just go up 2 or 3 ratios (like 3.69 or 3.73 )

Lol funny thing is with my 6 speed I've never had to worry about that. ? if your gonna get an automatic might as well get a Honda civic.
As to the stick snobs ( My [blank] is better than your [blank] because [blank] ) give it a rest. There are pros and cons to both. I don't have to worry about roasting a clutch when offroading in rocks or when towing from a stop. I can gradually tip in to the throttle and let the traction control work and grab with a minimum of tire spin. Autolockers aren't as fussy with an auto as a manual...
Would I like a manual? At times, yes. But there are plenty of times that an auto is just as good or better. I've driven plenty of trucks with sticks and its a hassle when offroad, I'd rather concentrate on WHERE I'm going than HOW I'm going. Your comment adds nothing to the conversation and only serves to instigate.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
... Not sure if it is true, but some say disconnecting the battery overnight (couple of hours?) will reset the "learning". I have not done that on the Frontier. ...
It does, but I question its value. after 5 drive cycles it will have 'relearned' its trims for engine and trans. Plus its a hassle. No matter the vehicle or transmission there's a learning curve. I just adapt to the trans adaptation. Plus from what I've found its not a set adaptation but it keeps refreshing itself over time. Disconnecting the batt just forces it to update sooner than later (like when you install a new part / tires )

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
No downhill assist w/ a manual!!!!!!! I take my truck on some steep **** and need that!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.