Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll skip the details. But I accidentally shifted the truck into reverse while moving forward at a slow-ish speed (10-15 MPH). I've been doing research to see what possible damage could be done. There was no noise, no feeling, it just felt like it was in neutral. I know automatic transmissions have safeguards to prevent shifting in reverse while going fast, like highway speeds, but I'm wondering where that tolerance limit is. What speed does the transmission allow the vehicle to be shifted into reverse from a drive gear?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but your post reminds me of a vehicle i had back in the late 70s that wouldn't pass inspection. I decided to try and kill it. I would get going as fast as I could in reverse and then slam it into drive and stomp on the gas. The rear tires immediately broke loose and and started spinning while the car slowed down to a stop and then started moving forward. Did this in forward as well and I finally got bored and the transmission was still fine.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know the answer to your question, but your post reminds me of a vehicle i had back in the late 70s that wouldn't pass inspection. I decided to try and kill it. I would get going as fast as I could in reverse and then slam it into drive and stomp on the gas. The rear tires immediately broke loose and and started spinning while the car slowed down to a stop and then started moving forward. Did this in forward as well and I finally got bored and the transmission was still fine.
Yeah, I was told that if you're backing out of the driveway and still rolling and slam it into drive and go, that's okay for the transmission. It is NOT okay, however, for the drivetrain components like the U-joints and drive shaft that have to deal with the torquing.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
You didn't hurt anything. There are plenty of computer nannies that will give a FU if you try something that is destructive. These things go into rental car fleets, they have to be rental car proof.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You didn't hurt anything. There are plenty of computer nannies that will give a FU if you try something that is destructive. These things go into rental car fleets, they have to be rental car proof.
I didn't think I damaged anything, but I am curios at which speeds these safeguards do shut off. I know you can still slam it into drive while rolling backwards in reverse really slow.

·
Super Moderator
11,276 Posts
Look at it this way, it’s already done and if you really did any damage it wouldn’t be driving properly. So just drive and enjoy it and if something pops up which I doubt it will, you’ll deal with it then.
We’ve all done things like that over the years, it’s not just you.
Your truck is 2007, original radiator, timing chain too?

Clint

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look at it this way, it’s already done and if you really did any damage it wouldn’t be driving properly. So just drive and enjoy it and if something pops up which I doubt it will, you’ll deal with it then.
We’ve all done things like that over the years, it’s not just you.
Your truck is 2007, original radiator, timing chain too?

Clint
Not original radiator. I had it replaced under warranty. Timing chain was done under warranty to at 60k miles.

I was mostly just curious from an engineering standpoint, not a worry standpoint. I'm wondering how these failsafes work.

·
Super Moderator
11,276 Posts
Not original radiator. I had it replaced under warranty. Timing chain was done under warranty to at 60k miles.

I was mostly just curious from an engineering standpoint, not a worry standpoint. I'm wondering how these failsafes work.
I asked because my 2007 Pathfinder had both the timing chain and radiator/transmission issues.

Clint

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't had any issues witth either, other than I had a timing chain whine. Since they were doing the radiator fix under warranty at 60k, they did a bunch of other stuff while under the hood. I'm at 105k miles or so and haven't had a single issue with the timing chain or the radiator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts