Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better for offroading? I plan on mudding, finding trails, going over rocks and hills and what not, but nothing hardcore like rockcrawling and all that.

I really want a 6-speed, but they have no 6-speed NISMOs where I'm from, but they DO have exactly what I want in an AUTO. I'd love to have the 6-spd because its more fun to drive (except in traffic, which I have very little of) and I'd also like to be in control when towing on long trips.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
i'd go for the six speed anyday over the auto. i got the 5 speed in my 02' and it works awesome for offroadin, just like you, i need to be incontrol. anyways sense you have little traffic where your at, all i see is more pros then cons. dont let the dealership get the best of you. just stick to your guns and you'll get what you want.

·
Banned
410 Posts
now see for offroading i would never do anything but an auto. then you dont have to worry about burning up your clutch when taking a nice slow apporch at something, and you dont have to worry about killing it. and sometimes it takes both hands on that wheel and you might need to shift right then. i think one less thing to worry about is just better.

i agree the controll over your RPMs is nice but when im trying to climb over a tree easy and not hurt anything, last thing i want to be doing is riding my clutch burning the thing up trying to go slow.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
My last two truck wore sticks and now a have an auto. I agree with Frontin. It's so much easier with an auto going up hills slowly. then I was going down hills in a stick and press the brakes or the cluch the rear end would come up.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All really good points. Never been offroading before (other than a HMMWV, mil spec), so I didn't know if people preferred auto or stick, although I thought auto for the reasons you guys said above. I guess it all depends on how much offroading I plan on doing.

The Car and Driver review said that the Frontier hauled pretty good, although it did shift through gears trying to find the right one a little more than the Taco did, which is a reason why I was thinking 6-speed.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
PIMPaLiCiOuS said:
All really good points. Never been offroading before (other than a HMMWV, mil spec),
i done my fair share of wheelin in HMMWV's in iraq. i just wish that they had more power. even the turbocharged HMMWV's were slow.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speaking of auto for 6-spd, is there a 0-60 or 1/4 mile comparison between the two for the new Frontier??

jojo, I agree, but I have been one some retarded hills and trenches that the HMMWV just ate up. . .

·
Registered
2,317 Posts

·
Banned
410 Posts
PIMPaLiCiOuS said:
All really good points. Never been offroading before (other than a HMMWV, mil spec), so I didn't know if people preferred auto or stick, although I thought auto for the reasons you guys said above. I guess it all depends on how much offroading I plan on doing.

The Car and Driver review said that the Frontier hauled pretty good, although it did shift through gears trying to find the right one a little more than the Taco did, which is a reason why I was thinking 6-speed.
if your doing heavy hauling you shouldnt be getting a little frontier. but any little hauling like a trailer with a 4wheeler or something, your not going to have a problem with a auto. even my 2000 pulls my waverunner like crazy going up hills. but yeah you start loading weight on it and it drags, it has trouble with the boat. but i think it works just fine with out a stick. if i really want it to down shift i kick off the OD and slow down untill it downshifts and then get into the gas and keep the throttle up for a while. then back off and it will upshift again. its more just learning to work your auto haha.

but also for a nooby offroader i think you would have more fun with a auto just because you will be able to worry about driving and having fun more than burning up your clutch and keeping the truck running and shifting.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses fellas. Really making me see the light of the automatic. I mean, hell, its not a sports car. I guess I was looking for a change from my auto Hardbody. And I still have vivid memories of me driving a 6-spd Acura RSX Type-S, and it was AWESOME!!!

I think I'll go test drive that Storm Gray NISMO auto I was talking about now. . .

·
Banned
410 Posts
deff know what you mean about the rsx, i couldnt ever own a car that wasnt a stick. but when it comes to trucks, i like the autos. and deff get the nismo frontier. if nto hte one u test drive just a nismo in general.

here is the link to the 2nd video, but its still being optimized, check it tomorrow morning i would think it should be working by then.

http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=B80CD7E1-95C5-4553-AD24-9E4B29DBA2A7

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just like others mentioned, I can understand really wanting stick for a sports car heck my last car was stick, but for a truck, I really don't see the importance unless you really enjoy stick. If I ever get a Z or a GTR, then there's no question... :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Lemme just start out by saying that I prefer and own a 6 spd 05 4X4. I've taken it off road a few times, and just from the limited experience that I have, I can positively assure you that an auto is much better for off-roading. If you're a trailblazer, then you will get into situations where you can't see the obstacles clearly from the driver's seat. My brother is in an automatic Tacoma, is quite experienced, and I saw him getting out of his seat belt, grab the passenger side "oh, ****" bar and look out the passenger side window as he modulated the gas and brake pedals in order to negotiate the obstacle. I've also seen him sitting on the driver's side window sill in order to get the height needed to see the obstacle under negotiation. You could never do any of these things with a manual trans. If you're serious about off-roading, get the auto. Lastly, I once got stuck in steep rocky terrain, and realized I couldn't go farther without doing significant damage to my sheet metal. It was too curvy and steep for me to back out of what I got myself into, so I had to turn around in the mine field. Even in 4LO, I could smell clutch during the process. Get the auto.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Not that I've ever used it while off-roading, but the auto transmission can be manually shifted from 1st to 2nd and back with the shift lever!

Getting the NISMO with VDC also gets you a couple of other off-road goodies like Hill Decent Control and Hill Assist. The Hill Decent Control works with the ABS during slow steep decents to keep speed and traction under control. The Hill Assist keeps the brakes applied so your don't roll forward or back ward after taking your foot off the brake while on a steep hill.

Both are great options, especially for someone new to off-roading, but both are only available with the automatic transmission! So, there's another reason for you to get an auto shifter in that NISMO!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have an auto. I believe that when you have "power" auto is the way to go, for trucks or for off-roading in general. I'm not saying that our frontiers are anyway close to a diesel or a V8 but i think that the engine our frontiers have is packing enough punch. Now if your motor is 22r from the older yotas i'd definitely go stick just because you can "pull" it a little harder. just my .02

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hahaha. . .awesome. I love the responses!!!!! You guys totally sold me on the auto thing. I'm already talking to a dealership:

2006 NISMO KC 4x4
AUTO!!!!!!!!!!
Storm Gray w/ Charcoal Interior
NISMO/LE Audio Package
NISMO/LE Traction Package
NISMO Utility Bed Package

Thanks for the help guys. My next post will be helping me out with the negotiation process. . .keep your eyes peeled in "General. . ."

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
PIMPaLiCiOuS said:
2006 NISMO KC 4x4
AUTO!!!!!!!!!!
Storm Gray w/ Charcoal Interior
NISMO/LE Audio Package
NISMO/LE Traction Package
NISMO Utility Bed Package
"
This is the same exact truck I have, except mines an 05. You WILL love it!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts