Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 07 SE headlights come on automatically when the truck is started.

Is this factory? There is no sensor and no way to turn them off.

If this is factory, is it possible to instead use the markers as DRL instead? I've searched, mainly CF, and haven't come up with much.

I was playing with the idea of using the fogs and markers as such but will settle for markers.

I feel no need to have my headlights on constantly though I can appreciate DRL with an off switch.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My 07 LE has Auto on I usually leave it on and turns on at night but it also has a on off switch. Along with the fogs I have aftermarket housings and DLR wired to turn on with the headlights but its kinda useless. DLR are mainly used to make other drivers more aware of where you are.

You should be able to wire DLR to a relay if you want to separately control them, I dont know the laws.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been like this since i bought it in October.

One of my headlights burnt out so I decided to put in a more expensive set of bulbs, but drive mostly during the day.

I'm just trying to extend the life of the bulb.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sounds like the auto sensor is bad. You can just keep your headlights off and turn them on during the night. I dont know Were the sensor itself is.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was under the impression there was no sensor but I definitely could be wrong.

I'd happily replace it if it will get my headlights to shut off.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It should be some type of sensor to detect if its light or dark. Hmm some one might have more experience than me. I hope someone else can help you out I would love to know.
One if there its a sensor.
Two where the sensor.
Three is it easy to change.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I had a 2012 SL ....same as an older SE? anyway my SL had auto on headlights , the sensor is a small eyeball 3/4" on the center of the dash board near the front windshield.

One other thought was ...(and I could be wrong) some of the late model vehicles manufactured to be shipped to Canada had headlights that come on automatically all the time for safety?

·
Super Moderator
19,900 Posts
It's been like this since i bought it in October.

One of my headlights burnt out so I decided to put in a more expensive set of bulbs, but drive mostly during the day.

I'm just trying to extend the life of the bulb.
I drive with my headlights on any time I'm in either of my vehicles. I have expensive bulbs in both vehicles and not the least bit worried about reducing the life of the bulbs. Been driving my car for over 5 years and 50,000 plus miles with no negative effects on the light output and 2 years with my HID projectors in the Frontier. I do most of my traveling during the day as well.

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
I drive with my headlights on any time I'm in either of my vehicles. I have expensive bulbs in both vehicles and not the least bit worried about reducing the life of the bulbs. Been driving my car for over 5 years and 50,000 plus miles with no negative effects on the light output and 2 years with my HID projectors in the Frontier. I do most of my traveling during the day as well.
How easy is it to change your retrofit HID projector (bulbs)?

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have had very, very different experiences. I haven't had the pleasure of HID.

I had a 2012 SL ....same as an older SE? anyway my SL had auto on headlights , the sensor is a small eyeball 3/4" on the center of the dash board near the front windshield.

One other thought was ...(and I could be wrong) some of the late model vehicles manufactured to be shipped to Canada had headlights that come on automatically all the time for safety?
There is no sensor. Maybe it was Canada bound at some point. idk

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Open the door and look at the VIN tag on the door jam, Does it have a big Canadian maple leaf on it?
It could also be an aftermarket add on.

Do you get just the headlights or headlights and tail lights?
Does it turn off with the key or timed delay?

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
If you have the factory auto headlights you'll have a sensor on the dash.
No surprise, but my '15 SV has that (non-operational) sensor near the windshield. VTP item(??), but not hooked up...or do they all have this?

Is the sensor for the auto-dim mirror in the mirror itself? Makes sense if it is.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
One of the very first failures in my 2008 was the bubble sensor near the windsheild. If my headlights were in auto position my lights stayed on all the time. Sensor was replaced under warranty at about 500 miles no trouble since, now at 108000.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I have that sensor on my 2015 PRO4x Xterra but I have to turn the lights on (which I do EVERY time I start the car for safety reasons).

Can someone tell me where the switch to turn the 'Auto On' feature on is located? A picture would be appreciated as I have looked for it but cannot find it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts