Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a long document as I've tried to cover more than one vehicle. Rather than type it all out here, I created a PDF file that you can open (and save to your device). This information is shared without warranty - you assume all risk for making changes to your truck - including changes I have documented here. I don't guarantee this instruction is correct for your vehicle. Also, be aware than making any changes to a vehicle that's under warranty can affect the warranty.

Feel free to use this document to help you with your Frontier project, but not to sell or rent this document to others or use it to make a profit. I retain full copyright to prevent it from being resold or rented to anyone.

I realize some of you may feel this is a lot of work when you can just flick the light switch on or off. That's okay. Others have tried to do this and ran into issues - and this is for you guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the write up, it is directly applicable to my truck. I've got a 2019 SV and thought it was kind of dumb they didn't just include the auto headlights.

I know currently my truck does not display any dash lights to tell me that the low beams or the daylight running lights are on. Currently the only indicator I have on the truck is the blue light when I switch on the brights.

So with this mod, the DRLs are on any time the truck is running and depending on the lighting conditions, the low beams come on?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the low beam circuit comes on (and goes off) according to lighting conditions. I don't have daytime running lights in my truck, but my corolla (toyota) does have auto lights and daytime running lights - and anytime the low beams are on (manually or auto), the daytime running lights switch off (automatically). I imagine Nissan works the same way as there's no point I can think of in having daytime running lights on along with headlights.
There is no dash indicator for low beams except that the dash interior lighting will turn on along with the headlights (and tail lights).
Assuming your 2019 Frontier truck has the auto-temp air conditioning system (which has left and right temp control knobs with digital temp displays), I believe you will gain auto-light function by swapping your headlight switch with Nissan PN: 25540-CB61E. Disconnect your truck battery negative terminal while you change the switch. One note about the part number: If you order this light switch and provide your VIN number, they will tell you this switch is not correct for your truck. That's because your truck didn't come with it from the factory.
I personally recommend against buying an aftermarket switch (which you can find online) because your truck is still under warranty and if they find any aftermarket electrical stuff on your truck when you bring it in for an electrical problem, they could refuse to cover it under warranty.
As far as why Nissan didn't just include it with your truck - that's a marketing decision someone at Nissan made, but I'd guess it was probably because they saved a little money on the non-auto light switch, and also hoped people would instead upgrade to a more expensive truck model to get auto-lights. At the same time, it's cheaper to use fewer wiring harnesses across different versions of the truck, so many trucks have wiring in place for options not included on each specific truck. I believe the "SL" and "Pro-4x" models come with auto lights.
Please remember there are no guarantees that this will work in your truck. There is no Nissan "auto lights" kit and Nissan has not said this will work. It has worked in several trucks though - and so far, no one has said it didn't (in a 2019) - Nissan could change their design at any time.
The switch is held in place with two "press to release" clips (one on top of switch and the other on the bottom). You can see them once the steering wheel cover is open. The steering wheel cover has three philips screws holding it together - the one screw further back (on right side of cover bottom) needs an extra long philips screw driver to reach the screw.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the write up, it is directly applicable to my truck. I've got a 2019 SV and thought it was kind of dumb they didn't just include the auto headlights.

I know currently my truck does not display any dash lights to tell me that the low beams or the daylight running lights are on. Currently the only indicator I have on the truck is the blue light when I switch on the brights.

So with this mod, the DRLs are on any time the truck is running and depending on the lighting conditions, the low beams come on?
One more note: This will not turn on daytime running lights if yours are not working now. That option has to be enabled (or disabled) by a dealer. Auto Lights is a feature that only controls the low beam headlights, the tail lights and the interior illumination lighting (dash, radio, etc).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Auto lights is a feature that only controls the automatic operation of the low beams, the tail lights and the interior dash radio etc lighting. If you already have DRL (daytime running lights) enabled and working, then I believe the auto lights control circuit in the body control module will switch DRL off any time the auto light circuit has turned on the headlights, then turn DRL back on when the auto lights control circuit turns the headlights off. This is only true if you already have working DRL. Adding the auto light function switch will not enable DRL.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks for the thorough testing and documentation that will also help out the folks without the sensor in the dash. It seemed like the consensus for the longest time was that, unless you have the sensor in the dash, the auto headlight function wasn't possible.

The headlight switch is still available from Courtesy Nissan Parts.

Until August 31, 2020, they have a $10 off shipping code and a 5% off your order code. The web site only lets you enter one code, but if you call them up they can stack the codes.

Enter the coupon code "SHIP10" at checkout and receive $10.00 off your shipping on any parts order over $100.00. Multiple uses welcome!

Enter coupon code "NIS5" at checkout to receive a 5% discount on all parts in your order. No minimum purchase, use as many times as needed.
$140.91 with basically free shipping unless you live out in the middle of nowhere, plus 5% discount brings it to $133.86. Pretty good deal I'd say, from a legitimate Nissan dealership parts department.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update September 12, 2020 - We tried installing a new auto lights switch/stalk in a 2020 Frontier SV with Auto-Air. In the 2019 model, all you need is the switch if you have auto-air. In the 2020 model, it doesn't work this easily. I suspect the body control module function has to be enabled - stay tuned - we're gonna try that next.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update September 12, 2020 - We tried installing a new auto lights switch/stalk in a 2020 Frontier SV with Auto-Air. In the 2019 model, all you need is the switch if you have auto-air. In the 2020 model, it doesn't work this easily. I suspect the body control module function has to be enabled - stay tuned - we're gonna try that next.
Update September 15, 2020 - We just returned from the Nissan service department. The auto-lights feature was disabled in the 2020 Frontier. The tech turned the feature on and it works now. So, with the 2020 Frontiers, if you have auto-air in your truck, it appears you'll need a new auto light headlight stalk/switch and will need to have the body control module programmed to enable auto-lights. If you don't have auto-air in your 2020 Frontier, then refer to my original PDF post at the start of this thread where I documented how I got auto-lights working in a 2017 Frontier without auto-air - I think your process will likely be the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts