Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Auto Headlights - How I Installed This Feature:

27K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  scott.broam 
#1 · (Edited)

#2 ·
Thanks for the write up, it is directly applicable to my truck. I've got a 2019 SV and thought it was kind of dumb they didn't just include the auto headlights.

I know currently my truck does not display any dash lights to tell me that the low beams or the daylight running lights are on. Currently the only indicator I have on the truck is the blue light when I switch on the brights.

So with this mod, the DRLs are on any time the truck is running and depending on the lighting conditions, the low beams come on?

#5 ·
Auto lights is a feature that only controls the automatic operation of the low beams, the tail lights and the interior dash radio etc lighting. If you already have DRL (daytime running lights) enabled and working, then I believe the auto lights control circuit in the body control module will switch DRL off any time the auto light circuit has turned on the headlights, then turn DRL back on when the auto lights control circuit turns the headlights off. This is only true if you already have working DRL. Adding the auto light function switch will not enable DRL.

#6 ·
Thanks for the thorough testing and documentation that will also help out the folks without the sensor in the dash. It seemed like the consensus for the longest time was that, unless you have the sensor in the dash, the auto headlight function wasn't possible.

The headlight switch is still available from Courtesy Nissan Parts.

Until August 31, 2020, they have a $10 off shipping code and a 5% off your order code. The web site only lets you enter one code, but if you call them up they can stack the codes.

Enter the coupon code "SHIP10" at checkout and receive $10.00 off your shipping on any parts order over $100.00. Multiple uses welcome!

Enter coupon code "NIS5" at checkout to receive a 5% discount on all parts in your order. No minimum purchase, use as many times as needed.
$140.91 with basically free shipping unless you live out in the middle of nowhere, plus 5% discount brings it to $133.86. Pretty good deal I'd say, from a legitimate Nissan dealership parts department.

#7 ·
Update September 12, 2020 - We tried installing a new auto lights switch/stalk in a 2020 Frontier SV with Auto-Air. In the 2019 model, all you need is the switch if you have auto-air. In the 2020 model, it doesn't work this easily. I suspect the body control module function has to be enabled - stay tuned - we're gonna try that next.

#8 ·
Update September 15, 2020 - We just returned from the Nissan service department. The auto-lights feature was disabled in the 2020 Frontier. The tech turned the feature on and it works now. So, with the 2020 Frontiers, if you have auto-air in your truck, it appears you'll need a new auto light headlight stalk/switch and will need to have the body control module programmed to enable auto-lights. If you don't have auto-air in your 2020 Frontier, then refer to my original PDF post at the start of this thread where I documented how I got auto-lights working in a 2017 Frontier without auto-air - I think your process will likely be the same.

#10 · (Edited)
Update October 26, 2020 - Two weeks ago, my neighbor asked me if I'd help him turn on auto headlights for his 2018 Frontier SV. He has manual AC. We got the headlight stalk and the sunload sensor and installed them. The Auto function did not work. We went to the dealer and asked them to activate the auto headlight option in the body control module. Once the dealer did that, the auto lights worked.

Also, forum member "giantsnation" let me know that his 2016 (with Value Truck Package) has working auto headlights after adding only the headlight stalk - no trip to the dealer was needed. The reason I mention "Value Truck Package" is because part of that package includes Auto AC. Auto AC comes with the sunload sensor that is shared by the Auto Headlight circuit. So far, I've learned that some (or all?) 2016 and 2019 Frontiers already have auto headlights enabled in the body control module - but not 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020's.

Have you ever wished you could change the light sensitivity of the Auto Headlights in your truck - so they come on later (or earlier)? There is an app called "Carista" that may let you change those settings without going to the dealer. Forum member "giantsnation" shared the good info about the app in this thread. You need the "beta" version of it in order to change Auto Headlights sensitivity. If this interests you, look here for info about how to get the app. You'll also need an OBD2 port bluetooth device like this one.
There are other options you can change too. I changed my auto door lock setting so that the doors lock when I move the shifter out of Park (default is to auto lock when vehicle starts moving about 15-20mph). The beta app is free right now.

#12 ·
This is a long document as I've tried to cover more than one vehicle. Rather than type it all out here, I created a PDF file that you can open (and save to your device). This information is shared without warranty - you assume all risk for making changes to your truck - including changes I have documented here. I don't guarantee this instruction is correct for your vehicle. Also, be aware than making any changes to a vehicle that's under warranty can affect the warranty.

Feel free to use this document to help you with your Frontier project, but not to sell or rent this document to others or use it to make a profit. I retain full copyright to prevent it from being resold or rented to anyone.

I realize some of you may feel this is a lot of work when you can just flick the light switch on or off. That's okay. Others have tried to do this and ran into issues - and this is for you guys.
I have a 2020 Frontier and have auto headlight stalk installed, I also have the senor. I went to the deal and ask them to activate the BCM for auto lights and they tried but was told it could not be done because the BCM would not accept the reconfigure. They open a Tech report with Nissan to see why the BCM cannot accept the codes.

#16 ·
Thank you.
It can be a very cheap upgrade for some. In a 2016 and 2019, that feature is already turned on in the Body Control Module for many trucks, and it the truck already has auto-air, it has the sensor it needs for auto lights. All that's needed is a headlight/turnsignal switch/stalk - and I've seen them used on ebay for as little as $35.00. Some years of Pathfinders, Maximas and other Nissan vehicles use the same light switch as a Frontier, so they are usually not hard to find used with the Auto option.

#17 ·
So I have a 2010 P4x CC that i would like to install Auto Lights on but it seems like there isn't any connectors where they have been mentioned for the sun sensor. I used a borescope to look around as well with no avail. I was able to pickup a Sensor from an armada today at a junk yard and grabbed the connector with it. So if i need to add some Connections to the BCM i may be willing to do so. Any help would be apprecaited. I had auto lights in my 2015 p4x xterra and since the cover is removeable on my 2010 i figure chances are its possible to install.

Begs the question though .. is there anyone out there with a pre 2012 frontier that has Factory auto Headlights?

Thanks in advanced!

#25 ·
I have a 2020 SV Midnight edition. It has the sensor in the dash, but not the auto light turn signal switch. I replaced the switch with one that supports the AUTO lights, but the auto lights do not work (as expected). I visited my local dealer in Stafford, VA, and they quoted me $140 to activate the feature. That seems ridiculous for a 5-minue programming. I will check with other dealers.

#29 · (Edited)
I recently gave this a try on my 2014 SV with the Value Truck Package, which includes the built-in light-sensor dome (per auto A/C) -- purchased a used stalk with the 'Auto' position and can report success with no dealer intervention (y)

Important note - initially, it didn't work as expected. When set to 'Auto' the headlights would come on regardless of ambient light - when turning off the truck, they shut off fine after ~50 secs. Using my BlueDriver OBD2 reader, I ran a full check and it found codes B257F & B2580, Sunload sensor short/open codes. After replacing the sensor (see pic) the Auto headlights worked...and since the sensor is also tied to the A/C, I'm guessing that should now also work more 'efficiently'.
Rectangle Font Peripheral Automotive exterior Auto part

#32 ·
#38 ·
I found on eBay a used "Nissan 2004-2006 Maxima Titan Quest Armada Headlight Switch Assembly Turn Signal" for $25. The Nissan part number listed in the ad was 25540-ZC00A, not quite the p/n listed by folks here in the forum. Anyway, the picture looked right, so I splurged on the $25 with free shipping.

It took the seller 10 days to ship the part, a slothness reflected in his feedbacks. The part arrived yesterday, a full 16 days after my order. It looked in decent shape, with a few of the letterings a bit faded.

I wasn't sure if the Auto Headlights function was going to work without some programming of the ECU, so I went ahead and ordered the Carista Bluetooth OBD2. But I was hopeful since I have the Value Truck Package on my 2017 KC SV model. Installation was very easy - remove 3 screws from the bottom, detach the the upper and lower covers, pinch two tabs on the connector and the entire assembly comes out, reattach replacement assembly and reinstall the covers.

Much to my pleasant surprise, the Auto Headlights worked immediately without any programming. I plan to use the Carista software to activate the DRL lights.

#47 ·
As long as you have the sensor (small black globe in the center of the dash near the winshield) then all you need to do is order a new Stock 25540-CB61E takes just a few minutes to remove the screws then remove the existing stock and replace with the new one then you will have auto headlights

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.