Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, only to find nothing relavent to my question. If the answer is out there, please direct me to the right place or post. Thanx in advance.

Now for the question:
Can I hook up a sub and amp to my stock (non-RF) head unit? I do have th 6 disc in-dash w/ mp3 capability (which I am lead to believe is the same as the RF unit).

I am going with a JL 8 or 10" and a mono amp, and prbably use the stock speakers for mids/highs, just to keep things simple and cheap.

So... How???

Thanx!
Bryan

·
Registered
368 Posts
If your stock unit has PRE-OUTS then no problem... Not sure if that one does or not.

If not, this would be the only way I know to do so...

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=94

And depending on how much that costs , you might be better off buying a new headunit. JL's solution is really designed for very highend vehicles with integrated systems

I really can't understand why some people are so dead set against a AF headunit over the 'stock appearance'. In 99% of cases, the AF systems sound better, look better (if installed right), and give a lot more options.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Short answer:

It's the wife's truck.

I will be taking the sub and amp out later this summer when I get my Miata.

I just want something to tide me over until then...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes....

You would need a high level line out converter or a amp with high level inputs and a low pass bass x-over. Also you would need to get either an ignition controlled relay to turn on the amp when the acc/run key postion is on or you would need a small swith on a 12v source such like tap off the cig lighter. Pros and cons to both. Pros for high level line out converter is you would have a better choice of amps, since you wouldn't need to find an amp with high level inputs. Cons To do it cleanly I would reccomend getting the female side of the stock harness and a male side of the stock harness and then make the connections through that instead of cutting and splicing the stock harness. Also the stock deck doesn't have much power so you would need to get a good line out converter. I would however reccomend the alpine amp model number MRP-M450 it should give you enough power and has the speaker high level inputs already on it. You would then only need to make the switch or use the relay method. Let me know if you need anymore help. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
the cheap way to do it would be go to walmart. they sell the converter to change from high to rca's i think it around 10 or 15 bucks i dont remember off hand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, after talking with her about it, we have decided to not get a sub.
Under the passenger seat is a fold-out thing for child seats. We don't have any kids yet, but again I say yet. Under the drivers side is the first aid kit (and jumper cables) that I will not get rid of.
She has, however agreed to let me get a good pair of spekers for the doors, and an amp to power them. I am considering JL 6.5 components, and a decent 2ch amp.
I guess I'll have to wait until I get the Miata for my own stereo.

Thanx for the replies. You all have been very helpful.
Bryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts